Budget Tablet?

Reaction score
I'm new here. I tried using the search feature and spent a couple hours reading through old posts. I don't feel like I've learned anything.

So...

1. What's the best budget Tablet to use with solex?

I'm looking to spend $150 or less, but would like to be able to use all of the features like follow me.

I'm okay with a 7" class tablet and don't need a ton of storage or even expandable storage.

2. Is hdmi necessary?

3. Does the tablet need to have GPS in order for the follow me and RTH features to work properly?

4. Is 4g required to connect to the Solo when not in range of wifi?

I'm sorry if this post is a little newbish, but admittedly: I'm a n00b!

If this stuff has all been covered somewhere else on the forum, please provide links and I'll take down the post here.

I use the Nexus 7 (2013) and it works great. Haven't used follow me yet but I think you need GPS to use it.
HDMI is not necessary, neither is 4G because Solo can only connect via WIFI.

1. What's the best budget Tablet to use with solex?
Damned if I know, but if you find out, make sure you mention it. I tried using a cheapo $99 tablet from Amazon, big mistake. Not fast enough to handle the video feed. Although I still do use it to plan solex missions so not a complete loss.

2. Is hdmi necessary?
Is oxygen necessary? Sure it is, but for specific purposes. Having a HDMI out on your tablet might be a nice to have, but it's not necessary. I would only find it useful if you needed to hook your tablet up to a TV or a monitor for doing other stuff on it. Your solo controller has a HDMI out on it for hooking up to a TV or monitor if you want to share your video feed with others as you fly.

3. Does the tablet need to have GPS in order for the follow me and RTH features to work properly?
You don't need it for the return to launch, but if you want to use the "follow me" or the return to me to feature, then yes, you need GPS on your tablet. You can also buy GPS dongles to add to your tablet, but not sure on how well they work.

4. Is 4g required to connect to the Solo when not in range of wifi?
The solo uses WIFI connection only. The only reason you would want 4G in your tablet is for accessing mobile information on the go (software updates, maps etc). A lot of tablets come with 4G and the option of just popping your sim card from your phone in there.

IrishmanPDX

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I've been getting headaches scanning through pages of old posts trying to figure out the answers to my questions!

I also went with a nexus 7 (2013). it was a refurb. I tried a Kindle Fire 7 (which is basically the same device) but the Apps would not run properly. I saw a real cheap cyber Monday 7inch android tablet on a Walmart flyer

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I also went with a nexus 7 (2013). it was a refurb. I tried a Kindle Fire 7 (which is basically the same device) but the Apps would not run properly. I saw a real cheap cyber Monday 7inch android tablet on a Walmart flyer
I'm holding out for 10" tablet, I like the larger screen of the one I have now (even if it's not fast enough and too dark outside).

I went with an LG G pad X 8.0. It is an ATT lte pad I found at a pawn shop. Like new, 32gb android 7.0, great 8 in screen, even outside, less than 100.00. works great with Solex and everything Ive tried.
Rick

i bought an ipad air 2 att(presumably with gps) with a cracked screen for just under a hundred. follow me works. i think you do need gps. i am curious if those working cell phones with bad emei will work?

I’m not an android guy (using all Apple devices)... for those that know, is compatible determined by OS version (Marshmallow 6 or 6.1)? Is there a new model tablet that works with The latest ground station applications?

I've been using LG G Pad X 8.0 ATT Lte I got from a pawn shop. Like new it cost 90 bucks. With a freedom pop sim, I get free Lte out in the field for map downloads. Works amazing.
Rick

are you able to use the solo app, or do you have to use the developers app? I have an LG G3 phone that isn't compatible with the stock app, so I don't know if I'm missing anything. But a 10" tablet would be awesome.
I am using both the stock app and the Solex app, both work perfectly. If I am out of range for wifi I use my cell and allow it to (forgot the word) tether to the Solo controller. The satellite images then are easily viewed. I am completely happy with this tablet and I think the 10" would even be better. I learned of the table through another Solo pilot although he did not have wifi capabilities and ended up finding a cheap monthly cell phone subscription and just made his Plum phablet into a cell phone, so he has everything on the table. I may go that route some day just to make things easier but right now all is working quite well. I did go back and read some of the bad reviews but most have to do with cracked screens. Mine has been great and I have not had any popups asking to add more apps. Good luck.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44