Best After Market Solo Antenna

To everyone using aftermarket antennas, they should be used to strengthen your connection to Solo in busy wifi areas and not for long distance flying.

I don't want to be the fun police but just remember FAA, CAA & CASA rules state that Solo must remain in full line of sight at all times.

Flying at dusk or at night (non commercial) with lights on a multicopter (or even during the day with very bright lights like the Lume Cube), means you can see the multicopter MUCH farther away than during the day...in that way, longer range antennas can come in quite handy, and be used perfectly legally.

Flying at dusk or at night (non commercial) with lights on a multicopter (or even during the day with very bright lights like the Lume Cube), means you can see the multicopter MUCH farther away than during the day...in that way, longer range antennas can come in quite handy, and be used perfectly legally.

I made that quote long before the rules changed regarding night flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is and old thread but after looking around I personally think that the DLSRPros Horizon Range Extender Kit is the best Aftermarket Antenna with a claimed range of 2.5 mi.

Claimed ranges are sometimes inflated. I am not saying that particular setup won't do 2.5 miles, but with the rules governing our hobby limiting us to line of sight, I wouldn't go for a setup strictly for range. I think most of us here go for after market antennas for a stronger signal closer in to offset possible interference from outside sources. The DSLRPro Kit may be the ticket for you, I don't know. I am just saying be careful with claims on how far out you can go. It can lead to trouble. Good luck, and fly smart and safe.

I'm already using 5dbi antenna similar to the Frsky. What's the difference btw these two Alfa's? Any of them fit in the 3DR Solo backpack without taking it off or modding?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19VZ7PKM9VSY59AZK3C6
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-2-4HGz-RP-SMA-Screw-Antenna/dp/B003ZWPRUI
I just bought a pair and installed them tonight. they fold up and fit in the backpack without any mod. I haven't flown with it, but it was rock solid testing it from my balcony.

Claimed ranges are sometimes inflated. I am not saying that particular setup won't do 2.5 miles, but with the rules governing our hobby limiting us to line of sight, I wouldn't go for a setup strictly for range. I think most of us here go for after market antennas for a stronger signal closer in to offset possible interference from outside sources. The DSLRPro Kit may be the ticket for you, I don't know. I am just saying be careful with claims on how far out you can go. It can lead to trouble. Good luck, and fly smart and safe.
that is exactly why I think the Alpha paddles where a better choice, and at 1/10th of the price, the increase in signal strength can't be beat.

Anyone who says the Alfa paddle antennas don't make a difference are clueless and do not know what they're talking about. People use them wrong, or have unrealistic expectations. It is physically impossible for them to "not work". They are directional panels. You have to have them turned downward at the 45ish degree notch. The side that has the "alfa" text is the radiating side of the antennas. So that side must be facing out. You have to be pointing at the solo, within about 10-15 degree cone. If you do that, you will get dramatically better range than with the stock omni whip antennas.

As for HOW MUCH, that is entirely dependent on conditions, and that applies to ANY antenna you try to use. In the middle of a desert or prairie that has no WiFi congestion, you get maximum performance. In an urban or suburban environment with lots of WiFi congestion, performance will reduce. With obstructions like trees, buildings, or terrain, performance will reduce drastically or be non-existent. This again applies regardless of what antenna you put on it.

So when some buffoon puts the Alfa antennas on backwards, faces away from the solo, and tries to fly in his suburban neighborhood, of course "it doesn't work".

The Alpha antennas do work better than stock I flew them for a few months.

Better can be a relative term, my Alphas were better than stock and my fpvlr's are better than my Alpha's.

Close in all the antennas work fine and the stock mast antennas are the least directional; far out the fpvlr's work best for me but I must consider orientation.

I always fly with my fplrv's now and try not to fly overhead or behind me, if I do i aim the array properly.

Don't know about the others.

You know, better antennas are great. Alphas and FPVLR units are excellent investments and worth their weight in gold!
If you really need them.
The simple fact is - and it's not an opinion - the standard antenna works just fine for most use. If you're not planning a FPV trip to Australia or planning an autonomous mission with 372 waypoints you're probably good to go.
Please understand that I like these and own a few - my red FPVLR sits in a specially carved niche in my backpack - but in point of fact I rarely use it anymore. Let's face at, it's cumbersome. So are Alphas. The darned things are just not convenient.
I am absolutely convinced that aftermarket antennas have contributed to many of the so-called flyaways we hear about but which are almost always proven to be user error. Fact is, not everyone knows what directional even means and are happy flying their Solo directly overhead, behind them, etc..
If you're not going to venture too far from home - and I'm talking around a quarter mile in my case (at least around here, that's reliable stock range on all my Solos up to now at least) you're less likely to get confused, disoriented, and misoriented with stock antennas. And they don't turn your controller into a bulky unwieldy mess.
Don't misunderstand please, they're definitely a must have for cases where they're needed. In general though, for most users, I think they're likely uneccessary, likely purchased more because of misleading internet reports about range problems.
An example: someone gets a new Solo and flies for a month or so. No problems occur, no loss of connection... but in spite of this a new antenna is added to correct a nonexistent problem.
And then that same Solo has a spectacular crash because the pilot was simply ignorant of its proper use.

Doesn't really translate to twice the range in real life, only on paper. You start to get very directional the higher the gain and unless you're just trying to go really far, there's not really any point going that much higher gain.

Like all things in this world, there are those who want to always get a little more. When they're told it can only go one mile, they want two. They want to brag that they flew 5 miles, despite the rules of LOS. They are told not to go over 400 ft, but they don't like being told what they can and cannot do. The stock antenna are plenty. Be satisfied with what you have if it suits your need. If you must, get the Alphas if you fly in heavily congested areas. If you've got a wide open field, then stick with the stock.

ok, most of you have the Alfa APA-M04:

Amazon.com: Alfa 2.4HGz 7dBi RP-SMA Panel Screw-On Swivel Antenna for Alfa - WUS036H, WUS036H1W, APA05, WUS036NH, WUS036NEH, WUS048NH, WUS036EW, WUS051NH: Computers & Accessories

BUT... are these really better:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19VZ7PKM9VSY59AZK3C6

they have 10 dBi instead of 7 with the APA-M04, in theory that means they double the power, BUT is this real ?
i searched the internet but didn´t find a spec of the angle for the APA-M04, the APA-M25 should have 66 degrees
They are only 8 dBi on 2.4GHz, so not worth the extra size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000