Battery discharger

I have past experience in ordinary LiPo (no BMS) that I would like to share with you.
Generally LiPo Batteries have a Charge C-rating (usually less than 1C, meaning that a 5200 mAh LiPo, like the one Solo uses, could be charged with a max current of 5.2 A) and a Discharge C-rating (that varies a lot between 15C and 65C, meaning that a 5200 mAh with a 20C rating could be safely discharged at 104A continuous current). In addition LiPos have a burst (10 sec) discahrge C-rating that is higher than the continous discharge C-rating. But enough theory.
Solo's charge C-rating is 0.63 (3.3A / 5.2 Ah), if I am not mistaken. I have not read anywhere on the net what Solo's battery discharge C-rating is. Having some experience in flying Solo (around 50 flights already), it consumes 16-22A @ 16.80V (4S) = 369.80 W max. That leads me to the fact that if you wire 3 x 50 12DCV bulbs in parallel that will be 150 W @ 16.80V = 8.93A so after 20 min. Solo's battery would be aournd 50% of its capacity.
Talked to Mike (3DR CS) several weeks ago and asked him how do I discharge my batteries to storage levels (50%) and he gave me an advice that I turn on Solo and leave it as it is. Tried it this week as whether is going bad. Solo consumes around 1A when idle. It took me around 2,5 hours to discharge Solo's battery to around 50% of its capacity.
Another way (a more professional one) is to discharge Solo's battery is by using a Balance Charger. I use Imax B6AC v.2 for my ordinary LiPos. Unfortunately to be able to use this method you need to have a powerful Balance charger. Mine is rated 50W when charging and only 5W when discharging, meaning that when it discharges a LiPo to storage levels it uses 0.3A @ 16.80V (4S) = 5W and it takes forever -- 2.6A (50% of Solo's battery capacity) @ 0.3A = 8.6 hours. Tried once with a 5000 mAh hard case battery for my RC Truck and was stuck for hours.

Found this in another thread:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IV6QSMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If this is a close to a OEM (same production factory, different labeling) battery, that means that Solo batteries are rated with 5C discharge rate = 5200 mAh x 5C = 26A constant discharge current. I have some other Zippy Compact batteries 2700 mAh, 25C that are rated with a higher constant discharge current (67.5A). I fly them on my fixed wing UAV and during take-off the OSD shows 25-30A constant discharge current. Just FYI.

I hope this helps.

Every time i quote the 3dr dev board, somebody tells me its wrong, so take this with a grain of salt:

https://dev.3dr.com/hardware-battery-charging.html
Solo Battery Specifications
The Solo battery has the following physical and electrical specifications:

• 500 grams
  • Total capacity: 5.2 Ah (not a required spec)
  • Charge rate: 1-2C
  • Charging temp: 0C ~ 40C
  • Discharge rate (continuous): 20A
  • Discharge rate (burst): 120A
  • Operating voltage range: 10.0 V to 16.8 V
  • Discharging operating temp: -20C ~ 60C

Reactions: RichWest
Every time i quote the 3dr dev board, somebody tells me its wrong, so take this with a grain of salt:

https://dev.3dr.com/hardware-battery-charging.html
Solo Battery Specifications
The Solo battery has the following physical and electrical specifications:

• 500 grams
  • Total capacity: 5.2 Ah (not a required spec)
  • Charge rate: 1-2C
  • Charging temp: 0C ~ 40C
  • Discharge rate (continuous): 20A
  • Discharge rate (burst): 120A
  • Operating voltage range: 10.0 V to 16.8 V
  • Discharging operating temp: -20C ~ 60C
Thanks for the info. I have not noticed it yet!
Tough the info on the discharge rate seems unfair - continuous discharge rate =20A/5.2Ah=3.85C and burst discharge rate =120A/5.2Ah=23.08C. Usually batteries have similar continuous/burst discharge rates (eg. 25C continuous/35C burst).
Furthermore 3.85C continuous discharge rate is way too low (only Controllers' battery packs are rated so low). I believe that the continuous discharge rate is set as a min., not a max. as it should be!

Just my opinion, but it's not that an exact science. I fly LiPos as long as they perform according to my needs. I still use the very first Solo batteries I got with the bird in the pre-order in the summer of 2015. I have simply numbered them numerically as I acquire them. The older ones may not give me the flight time they once did, but are still fine for short testing flights or when I know I'm just going to go up and 'fool around' and bang the sticks a bit. If I charge batteries for a flight day and it doesn't happen, no big deal. If it's just a week later I will use them as is. If it's longer and they are down 1-3 lights, I will charge them up again. I have even used again the battery that went to '0' in flight after that 21min mission earlier this year.

You do know electrical is based on theory...

Got mine a few weeks after the gimbal was released at BB, still using battery #1 for full flights. I treat my bad batteries the same way.

The $50 smart Solo battery is the best bargain ever. I'm flying with six batteries now, amazing how much flight time that is...

Reactions: Stealth
You do know electrical is based on theory...

Got mine a few weeks after the gimbal was released at BB, still using battery #1 for full flights. I treat my bad batteries the same way.

The $50 smart Solo battery is the best bargain ever. I'm flying with six batteries now, amazing how much flight time that is...
[amazing]... and how much time does it take to get all of them charged...

:)

Thanks for the info. I have not noticed it yet!
Tough the info on the discharge rate seems unfair - continuous discharge rate =20A/5.2Ah=3.85C and burst discharge rate =120A/5.2Ah=23.08C. Usually batteries have similar continuous/burst discharge rates (eg. 25C continuous/35C burst).
Furthermore 3.85C continuous discharge rate is way too low (only Controllers' battery packs are rated so low). I believe that the continuous discharge rate is set as a min., not a max. as it should be!
You actually want a low C rating in general unless you really need a high discharge rate. The reason is you get a smaller battery of equivalent capacity based on C rating. If it was a high constant discharge rating of say, 45C, then that would mean we would have a lower capacity because those cells are larger are they constrained the size of the battery area with the design of the battery.
It's good it has a high burst rate but you'll kill the battery if you run it too long higher than 20A. Under normal flight conditions where the current is around 15A, the battery will be just fine.

You actually want a low C rating in general unless you really need a high discharge rate.
That is what I am saying!

It's good it has a high burst rate but you'll kill the battery if you run it too long higher than 20A. Under normal flight conditions where the current is around 15A, the battery will be just fine.
I disagree! As I stated in my post, I think that Solo's battery is rated with a higher constant discharge rate (at least 15C) given that the burst rate is around 25C. Nor that Solo needs it. I think that the designers have put much of a reserve in Solo's battery with regard to constant discharge rate in terms of C rating. This is proven by the temperature of Solo's battery after flight (it is slightly warm, compared to the batteries of my UAVs not to say my RC Truck having ZIPPY 5000mAh 2S1P 30C/40C Burst Hardcase Pack).

Some of that battery data may not be entirely accurate. I know for a fact the battery won't take a 2C charge, which would be about 10.4A. The lipo itself may be capable of it, but the BMS in the battery won't allow it. It power cycles the battery if the charge is above 6A. Max is 6A which is slightly above 1C. So I'm not sure how many of their numbers are really accurate. I don't know if their numbers are for the raw lipo or lipo/bms, as the bms will be the actual deciding factor.

Last edited:
Some of that battery data may not be entirely accurate. I know for a fact the battery won't take a 2C charge, which would be about 10.4A. The lipo itself may be capable of it, but the BMS in the battery won't allow it. It power cycles the battery if the charge is above 6A. Max is 6A which is slightly above 1C. So I'm not sure how many of their numbers are really accurate. I don't know if their numbers are for the raw lipo or lipo/bms, as the bms will be the actual deciding factor.
I agree with you. I was discussing bare (no BMS) LiPo basics. With regard to Solo - the BMS makes the difference both in charging process and discharging (no matter continuous or burst). That is why Solo's battery specs are way from common logic. The developers have optimized the discharge process [by the BMS] by limiting the C-raging, resp. the current draw (20A) of the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44