Basic Guide to Solo Antennas (Stock, Alfa, FPVLR)

I do not see a discussion here of parabolic reflectors (such as those so popular with DJI products). Are they not applicable to the type of system on Solo?
Hey. You can use them on the solo. Are they going to be the cleanest attachment? No. But for the short time I was waiting for my Alfa antennas they worked for what I was trying to do. The stock antennas on our solo remote when you aim them a certain way and then place those reflectors on them they droop down and you have to be constantly re-adjusting them. Not fun so that's why I got the better antenna.

Ok I will order the flat plates. I wonder why IB crazy never designed a version for the Solo.

Junk. Those will not improve anything even if they are a quality product. And given the crap manufacturing, they might make it worse.
I agree, no use. Long range will not do anything for the controller. You gotta get the Alfa panel ones. I have solid four bars past 2,000 feet.

I just ordered the panel Alfa
Sounds good, you won't be disappointed with them. If you have the regular carrying case that came with the drone you have to unscrew them so they the controller fits perfectly in the box. And place the antennas somewhere else.

I agree, past 2,300 feet or so I can't see the drone if there's trees or building near me. I agree definitely fly in your line of site.
I was running into problems where I would loose connection roughly 900ft to 1,400 depending on the day. All i wanted was a solid connection past 900ft and up to 2,500 feet depending where I fly and can have a visual line of sight at all times. Less then 900 feet when the drone returns to home is way to short with stock antennas and a few barrieiers such as tress and other wifi interference

And, it is always nice to have a margin of error. If I am limiting myself to 1000 feet, having 2000 feet of useful range is a nice security blanket!

Hey guys, I ordered rexuavs circular polarized antenna which is a clone of the fvplr antenna. I have to say I was pleased coupled with the wifi card upgrade. In my neighborhood I was able to hit 2000' feet before a dropped signal and RTL. My area is extremely wifi congested at least 10-15 access points near me alone bleeding on all channels. Also was flying above trees so didn't have a 'clear' line of sight to the UAV.

I'm flying usually next to my house, so wanted to check what is the interference with surround WIFIs.
I should probably go with the Alfa and since it is not a omni, I assume I should be fine.

Are you losing connection with the stock antennas? Are you trying to fly further away than the stock antennas can cover? If no, than you don't need to buy anything.

I just flew 4600 feet with stock antenna the only reason not further was fear of hitting freeway overpass over one of our levees here in sacramento. Going to try for a mile later this evening with the wife on the other end of the mile. Trying to post a pic i took of my controller display here cant figure out how.

Glad you brought that up, ive never heard of them. Gonna go research now.

Anyone try one of these 8" 2.4 GHz 11 dBi Dual Spatial Diversity/MIMO/802.11n Antenna - 3ft RP-SMA Plug Connector antennas?

Readymaderc also has them (but with SMA connectors). 2.4 GHz 11 dBi Dual Diversity Antenna - 3ft SMA Male Connector

Although not as sexy as some of the antennas sold for Solo, and probably difficult to use without a controller mount, the price seems good for a quality 11 dBi antenna
I've bought a few antennas from L-Com over the years. I have looked at this one and thought about trying it out on an antenna tracker.

First flight with Alfa antennas. My range went from aprox 1850 per flight to 3800 feet. I was trying to reach 4000 but lost connection. It was a clear day with no obstructions.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: speatuk
Ok I will order the flat plates. I wonder why IB crazy never designed a version for the Solo.
I asked Alex that very same question. You can read the exchange here:
Alex, Ever Consider Developing an Antenna Set for the 3DR Solo?

His final response was:
"In general just using 2X Crosshairs is a HUGE boost... even with adapters. Loss is only ~ 0.2db, so I wouldn't sweat the loss.

However, if you can replace the antennas on the bird, the range jump is incredible. In fact, you will get more range from 4 cloverleaf antennas (2 TX, 2 RX), than using the stock antennas on the bird and Crosshairs on the ground. You want the rotation directions to be all the same.

-Alex"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela