Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

1. utkudemir

2. FamilyFlyGuy

Why do you think there are 2 ports instead of 1 to begin with? Retorical question...

3. utkudemir

There are two antennas on the controller. I am aiming to combine two antennas into one

4. FamilyFlyGuy

5. andrew.baker.142

You need two separate antennas for a reason. SoloLink is MIMO and needs two antennas to support the data rate for live video and C2 data link.

utkudemir likes this.
  6. mbol4608

Why would my solo flying behind me be an issue? Is this for pilots who have mounted controllers? Seems like even with a narrow beam as long as I follow the solo even if I have to spin in a circle the beam won't be an issue. Just curious.

7. JGS

JGS

Hi, thought this might be of some interest. I was at a friends property in east TX out in the country this past weekend. The only mod on my solo is the mrobotics gps module. There was only one other wifi signal out there. I flew mine out to 4900ft out of eyesight blocked by trees. Was at 390ft altitude. Never lost connection or video. Felt like I could go farther, but was at the border of the property. Stock cards, and antennas. Wonder if the main inhibitor to range is other strong wifi signals?

8. jetsetwilly

I was at the beach at the weekend and only got just over 1000 feet before RTH kicked in. I also have the mro mod.

At the end of the pier when it starts to climb is RTH kicking in

andermac likes this.
  9. mderekp

10. hackbard23

ok, what about the antennas on the bird ? is it worth to change them ? what antennas to use ?

11. Mugsy

Yes, there are. I looked at the upgrade suggestions and in my state of PA there are lots of trees and power lines, so I too wanted an omni-directional antenna to use for my controller and I found the Alfa ARS-N19 they are the same style as the stock antenna, however instead of being 3.5" overall, these are 15.5" overall and 9dBi, they are designed for 2.4GHz wifi network extenders, so they should work nicely and get you at least 1.5 miles, instead of .5 miles.

12. dorniiif

P2P: Very well done! (

13. EZL

EZL

I tried the mushroom antennas on my X380 and they were kinda-so-so. The Spherical 14 db gain antenna blew them away on the diversity receiver which
    uses 5.8 ghz. The X380 had a 600 mw Eachine transmitter on it and a cloverleaf antenna. The downside on this antenna and the frequency used is that they
    are highly directional. On the YouTube channel, several fellas recommend 1 Alpha and 1 stock dipole antenna for range and this night be worth a try? The
    polarization of the antennas is a big problem unless you are burning up the air with 600 mw or more.

14. EZL

EZL

Notice the size of the cloverleaf and spherical antennas, they are small so he demonstrating in the video the 5.8 ghz and not 2.4 ghz. Usually 2.4 ghz is used
    for the controller and control of the quad. The 5.8 ghz is used for video/sound feed from the quad and usually a separate transmitter. Vegetation and objects
    can affect both frequencies but more so at the higher frequencies. Range is dependent on frequency, antenna gain, polarization, and rf power and a fella can
    go on and on. Fly behind a concrete elevator and your signal will drop out on both bands. I flew behind a metal building at 50 ft. and FPV dropped out I knew
    that the controller had signal so I turned and went full throttle up for altitude to be sure I was clear of the building and flying away from it. FPV video came back
    and after that you never want to fly behind anything. After viewing the video I was getting closet the the metal roof on the building than I thought I was and
    by turning and going for altitude I had video feed. This all happened out at a little over 1 km.