Field testing different Antenna Combinations

This my take on antenna testing. I got 11,822' distance at about 400' the one Alpha and one IBzrazy Bluebeam omni driectional antenna over woodlands on the edge of Fairbanks, AK. Unfortunately, my speed setting was not in jackrabbit mode, so when it returned with RTH engaged it began its decent at 400' over head with less then 10% on batteries. Told my grand kids to take cover because it might fall out of the sky. Zero % was reached around 100' but it kept coming under control. Usually when descending under RTH the decent slows sharply at about 10 meters then slowly touches down. Not this time, it went straight in. Thud! But it went in level and there was no discernible damage. Next I tested a directional biquad antenna with the Bluebeam and only got about three quarters the distance. Next test will be with a omni biquad and Alpha antenna. Video on these distance runs is good but punctuated with occasional dropouts. Have a replacement WIFI card for the controller, when installed should help with the video dropouts. So, my intended use for the Solo will be for scenarios out to a mile or so where a GoPro camera is appropriate. For longer distances I have an Autel XSP which I've had out to 2.95 miles with windsurfer reflecters with lots of loiter time in reserve.

This my take on antenna testing. I got 11,822' distance at about 400' the one Alpha and one IBzrazy Bluebeam omni driectional antenna over woodlands on the edge of Fairbanks, AK. Unfortunately, my speed setting was not in jackrabbit mode, so when it returned with RTH engaged it began its decent at 400' over head with less then 10% on batteries. Told my grand kids to take cover because it might fall out of the sky. Zero % was reached around 100' but it kept coming under control. Usually when descending under RTH the decent slows sharply at about 10 meters then slowly touches down. Not this time, it went straight in. Thud! But it went in level and there was no discernible damage. Next I tested a directional biquad antenna with the Bluebeam and only got about three quarters the distance. Next test will be with a omni biquad and Alpha antenna. Video on these distance runs is good but punctuated with occasional dropouts. Have a replacement WIFI card for the controller, when installed should help with the video dropouts. So, my intended use for the Solo will be for scenarios out to a mile or so where a GoPro camera is appropriate. For longer distances I have an Autel XSP which I've had out to 2.95 miles with windsurfer reflecters with lots of loiter time in reserve.
That's impressive. Have you got the flight logs for it?
When I've tested range, I monitor my battery level to make sure I have enough to get back safely. I think rabbit mode could have either given you a little more charge left or may have just meant less time to a 'hard landing' (flying faster isn't always more efficient).

Glad no damage was sustained to people or the solo.

I haven't explored flight logs yet, I'm pretty new to Solo and am still learning. Where is a quick tutorial on flight logs with Solo? Our crappy weather and my long work hours don't leave me as much time for flying. I should have cancelled the RTH and brought Solo back in a gradual decent, that would have helped. After I replace the WIFI card in the controller - hopefully today - I'll try out a biquad omni drrectional antenna. This gentleman i found on YouTube builds and tests various WIFI antennas and has gotten 9.5db with this omni. Really need this antenna because I do all my flying with a Quanum goggles which gives me zero orientation with respect to the drone.

I haven't explored flight logs yet, I'm pretty new to Solo and am still learning. Where is a quick tutorial on flight logs with Solo? Our crappy weather and my long work hours don't leave me as much time for flying. I should have cancelled the RTH and brought Solo back in a gradual decent, that would have helped. After I replace the WIFI card in the controller - hopefully today - I'll try out a biquad omni drrectional antenna. This gentleman i found on YouTube builds and tests various WIFI antennas and has gotten 9.5db with this omni. Really need this antenna because I do all my flying with a Quanum goggles which gives me zero orientation with respect to the drone.

I haven't explored flight logs yet, I'm pretty new to Solo and am still learning. Where is a quick tutorial on flight logs with Solo?

This will get you started with logs using mission planner:
Downloading and Analyzing Data Logs in Mission Planner — Mission Planner documentation

I should have cancelled the RTH and brought Solo back in a gradual decent, that would have helped.

Yes, it comes back slowly and descends directly over the landing spot even more slowly (safely).

After I replace the WIFI card in the controller - hopefully today - I'll try out a biquad omni drrectional antenna. This gentleman i found on YouTube builds and tests various WIFI antennas and has gotten 9.5db with this omni. Really need this antenna because I do all my flying with a Quanum goggles which gives me zero orientation with respect to the drone.

In practice, I wouldn't fly such a large drone with fpv. By FAA regulation, you must have visual line of sight (VLOS) at all times by the remote PIC or (if you get a waiver) then a visual observer holding a Part 107 certification is allowed. The rule is there because you have reduced field of view when in fpv as it is harder for you to spot and avoid other aircraft.

I read somewhere that someone is trying to use augmented reality glasses to get fpv overlay while still being able to maintain VLOS. Sounds interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000