Bad HDMI cable, no video so 3DR replaced my bird

Tech. Support offered me the option to do it my self with instructions, I opted for the DIY option.
With the 3DR screwdriver & about 45min. My bird was in the air & very good video feed. very little vibration & only when full throttle.
But that's me. I think most can do the HDMI change.

Me not yet i didn't try either
but i buy a Micro to Micro - Right Angle Micro to Micro HDMI Cable - Ultra-Thin
hope 6" is ok
i will give you news but the flat strap seems a good way to get rid of vibrations
I agree, but they lack a straight micro connector for the flat ribbon. Not having full details for dimensions, I'm unsure if the right angle (their term) connector may not clear the battery tray or body once connected.

Anyone willing to burn $40 and try?

I know this post is old, but I just bought my drone and have not been able to get video to stream. After about an hour messaging back and forth with tech support (I don't know why they dont provide phone number) the tech determined that it was the HDMI cable. They are going to send me a new one. Hopefully it won't take long.

I know this post is old, but I just bought my drone and have not been able to get video to stream. After about an hour messaging back and forth with tech support (I don't know why they dont provide phone number) the tech determined that it was the HDMI cable. They are going to send me a new one. Hopefully it won't take long.
You can try this while waiting..
Check this out, if your having video feed problems.

Appreciate the info. Now that we diagnosed the HDMI as the faulty component and I watched a video on it, I feel pretty confident that I can perform this. I wonder if buying an aftermarket cable would fix the problem too. Do you think it is the cable or the jack that the cable plugs in to?

Appreciate the info. Now that we diagnosed the HDMI as the faulty component and I watched a video on it, I feel pretty confident that I can perform this. I wonder if buying an aftermarket cable would fix the problem too. Do you think it is the cable or the jack that the cable plugs in to?
I also was waiting for my replacement cable, when I thought maybe cable is fine & it's the socket. I reinstalled the broken hdmi cable back but this time I add some pressure to the rear socket.
Never had video feed problem again.

Hope this helps.

I didn't have any video issues until I replaced the original stock cable with a flat ribbon cable. I replaced it as a solution to help reduce micro vibrations which has been talked about in this forum in great detail. It didn't really didn't make much difference in my case, but what I found was that the 3rd party cable's HDMI connectors where very sloppy when connected at both the main board and gimbal end.

After so much trouble, hassle and shear frustration with the live video rolling, freezing and getting a green/black screen, I decided to reinstalled the original stock cable and ...no more video problems whatsoever. I reinforced the main board end with dense foam as explained by SteveReno Check this out, if your having video feed problems.
I also placed some silicone gel, like that moon gel stuff under the gimbal's HDMI connection to further secure it from movement and again, it worked like a treat.

I concluded that, at least in my case, the original HDMI cable's ends fit snugly compared to the ribbon cable. The ribbon cable was just too loose and the slightest movement in flight at either end was enough to affect the live video.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also LIGHTLY squeezed the female HDMI connectors with a pair of pointed pliers after the cable was connected at either end.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
I put the Relish3D HDMI cable in. And I too have had major issues with the connectors being loose. Green screens, scrolling video, etc. I used pliers to compress the HDMI connectors on the Solo and gimbal. No more video problems.

I put the Relish3D HDMI cable in. And I too have had major issues with the connectors being loose. Green screens, scrolling video, etc. I used pliers to compress the HDMI connectors on the Solo and gimbal. No more video problems.
What can i say, but it works with most Video Feed problems.
Wonder how much time & money could have been saved if these sockets would be checked first by 3DR & consumer?
We could be rich, just off the shipping cost incurred. LOL
Video Feed Problems

I also was waiting for my replacement cable, when I thought maybe cable is fine & it's the socket. I reinstalled the broken hdmi cable back but this time I add some pressure to the rear socket.
Never had video feed problem again.

Hope this helps.
So I decided to dissect my Solo today and take a look at the cable and see if it was a loose connection or something else. I disconnected the cable from the jack on the board and "pinched" the jack slightly with a small flat head screwdriver in hopes that this would cause some pressure for the cable and hold it in place. I also pulled some cable through the zip tie and added some slack on the jack side of the zip tie. I also thought this might keep pressure on the cable and keep it plugged in. After all of that I put Solo back together and low and behold the video worked great. I decided to take it for a cruise around the block and also put it through some tests at higher speeds and banks. No issues whatsoever with the video. I am hoping that this holds up. Thanks for the help with everything.

I have no video but I'm not using a gopro could that be the issue?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea