Bad HDMI cable, no video so 3DR replaced my bird

Reaction score
So I was having trouble getting video feed from my Gopro. I determined that the tiny contacts inside the HDMI connector where it plugs into gopro were starting to fall apart (see picture). When I opened the Solo, I discovered that the HDMI wire was pinched and had much more leader available. The connection was always a very tight fit to the Gopro. But the damage was done. If you have a very tight connection, you may find an extra inch or two of leader. I contacted to 3DR support and explained that I would replace wire harness if they would send to to me. They said they did not have parts and to ship them the bird. I did. A few weeks later then overnighted me a replacement Solo. I have had a very good experience from 3DR.

Attachments

• senior close up2resize.jpg
    senior close up2resize.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
So I was having trouble getting video feed from my Gopro. I determined that the tiny contacts inside the HDMI connector where it plugs into gopro were starting to fall apart (see picture). When I opened the Solo, I discovered that the HDMI wire was pinched and had much more leader available. The connection was always a very tight fit to the Gopro. But the damage was done. If you have a very tight connection, you may find an extra inch or two of leader. I contacted to 3DR support and explained that I would replace wire harness if they would send to to me. They said they did not have parts and to ship them the bird. I did. A few weeks later then overnighted me a replacement Solo. I have had a very good experience from 3DR.
Yes actually i had the same exact problem but what i did was trade it for another new one before a 30 day deal qs elite member at BEST BUY and now that i got a different solo from before i se that mines was totally bad on HDMI connections, now i dont see the signal wavea from other solo much way clearer Compare to my before videos with Go pro, GUYS I THOUGHT VIDEOS WAS SUPPOSED TO LOOK NOT THAT CLEAR ON WHICH I WAS WRONG SO IF YOU HAVING DOUBTS ABOUT VIDEO FEED AND RESOLUTION DEFF HDMI CABLES ARE BAD, contact 3DR for a fix asap they will help you this guys are really attentive to costumers, very helpful techs

Same EXACT thing here I have a bad cord with 3 small prongs loose. They had me jumping through hoops, connect my go pro to my tv to check for output, connect a different camera to the Solo, make sure all the camera settings were correct and that I securely attached camera. (Those last two were no brainers) But the point is Iv'e had this thing for almost 2 months and still not able to fly with live view.

Same EXACT thing here I have a bad cord with 3 small prongs loose. They had me jumping through hoops, connect my go pro to my tv to check for output, connect a different camera to the Solo, make sure all the camera settings were correct and that I securely attached camera. (Those last two were no brainers) But the point is Iv'e had this thing for almost 2 months and still not able to fly with live view.
Sent it back to 3DR asap they will fix the problem for sure your not the first one to have this issue and they know it, request another solo in the meant time they will provide

Sent it back to 3DR asap they will fix the problem for sure your not the first one to have this issue and they know it, request another solo in the meant time they will provide
Yeah they offered But I declined and just asked for a cable - Iv'e torn this thing completely down once already.

I'm calling tech. Support tomorrow.
It takes GREAT VIDEO that i record with Gimbal, but the screen blanks out or rolling screen & very slow video.
Tried everything i know & can't get it working.
Any pointers dealing with Tech. Support? I don't have another Gopro to test with so?

I'm calling tech. Support tomorrow.
It takes GREAT VIDEO that i record with Gimbal, but the screen blanks out or rolling screen & very slow video.
Tried everything i know & can't get it working.
Any pointers dealing with Tech. Support? I don't have another Gopro to test with so?
Call don't write. Know the first person you talk to is not an engineer. Your goal is to get to an engineer.

Thanks @Earldgrayjr ,
Just confirmed the problem.
It's the HDMI cable coming out from the main board.
Removed Gimbal & replaced the old camera support & tested it, same poor video, blanks out rolling.
Wrapped a rubber band around the camera & over the HDMI plug & guess what? PERFECT video!
Replaced old camera support with Gimbal, same trick, same bad video. Poor reception, ect...
Removed Gimbal, from the inside placed rubber band around HDMI plug & guess what? 95% of bad video went away!
So what do i do? RMA the bird or keep it & hope the problem doesn't progress.
With the clock ticking on returns, I think i should RMA the bird & play that waiting game once more.
So, calling today to 3DR tech. Support :(

Thanks again @Earldgrayjr
Your a true Friend...

I RMA-ed my bird and gimbal within an hour of installing gimbal, by tech support recommendation, for reason of no video feed.

Frame of reference, they got solo and gimbal back on Sept 14, my replacements hit state side this morning, for delivery tomorrow. I did prod about status 2 or 3 times however.

Thanks @Earldgrayjr ,
Just confirmed the problem.
It's the HDMI cable coming out from the main board.
Removed Gimbal & replaced the old camera support & tested it, same poor video, blanks out rolling.
Wrapped a rubber band around the camera & over the HDMI plug & guess what? PERFECT video!
Replaced old camera support with Gimbal, same trick, same bad video. Poor reception, ect...
Removed Gimbal, from the inside placed rubber band around HDMI plug & guess what? 95% of bad video went away!
So what do i do? RMA the bird or keep it & hope the problem doesn't progress.
With the clock ticking on returns, I think i should RMA the bird & play that waiting game once more.
So, calling today to 3DR tech. Support :(

Thanks again @Earldgrayjr
Your a true Friend...
Ditto to you :)

I would definitely get it fixed rather than hope it doesn't get worse. There is an old saying "somebody said it could be worse, and sure enough it got worse"

You may have a third option though.. I had seen above (Marque Glisson) had apparently gotten 3DR to send him the cable? He was in a similar situation and didn't want to wait for the two way turnaround to send it there and get it back.

You aren't afraid to take it apart, so it could be an option. That way you keep flying, and get it fixed also. Not sure if that is the best option for you, but it's a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveReno
@Earldgrayjr Had the nicest experience that anyone can have calling any tech. Support
No hassle, No jumping thru hoops! just wants to help me with my problem.

She listened "Without interruption" I explained how i came to the conclusion it was the HDMI cable She offered to RMA ASAP for the Solo or send a new cable to me ASAP "Just as you mentioned"
So, I'm savvy enough to complete the installation of the new HDMI cable "I hope" LOL. So cable mailing soon.
Im a happy puppy today!
DFI cant/wont make me happy as 3DR does! I truly believe this from the horror stories at the Phantom user boards.

She also told me that a new Firmware in two weeks coming for Solo. Feature wise, more for the Gimbal usage, Better control, More stable ect.... but may also includes minor features for accessing the Gopro, but more on the way.

Got to go...

Have a great Day @Earldgrayjr

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I RMA-ed my bird and gimbal within an hour of installing gimbal, by tech support recommendation, for reason of no video feed.

Frame of reference, they got solo and gimbal back on Sept 14, my replacements hit state side this morning, for delivery tomorrow. I did prod about status 2 or 3 times however.
Good deal @Eric. Great Support huh.
I opted to install cable myself, since i kinda fixed it temporarily.
Let us know how everything turned out for you. I'm sure it will be all good :)
P.S.
She also told be that this particular problem will have extended warranty added to it, yours may also?

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
@Earldgrayjr Had the nicest experience that anyone can have calling any tech. Support
No hassle, No jumping thru hoops! just wants to help me with my problem.

She listened "Without interruption" I explained how i came to the conclusion it was the HDMI cable She offered to RMA ASAP for the Solo or send a new cable to me ASAP "Just as you mentioned"
So, I'm savvy enough to complete the installation of the new HDMI cable "I hope" LOL. So cable mailing soon.
Im a happy puppy today!
DFI cant/wont make me happy as 3DR does! I truly believe this from the horror stories at the Phantom user boards.

She also told me that a new Firmware in two weeks coming for Solo. Feature wise, more for the Gimbal usage, Better control, More stable ect.... but may also includes minor features for accessing the Gopro, but more on the way.

Got to go...

Have a great Day @Earldgrayjr
I think you made the better choice by getting the cable sent to you and installing it your self..It's all about building a relationship with your Solo...

Reactions: SteveReno
Where can you purchase this cable? Besides 3DR that is. The cable from (USB Wires .Com) are thicker and they don't have the ferrite bead.

So I've had nothing but a solid video feed up until a week or so ago and now it's gone to hell. 3DR insists I send back the whole bird. I asked them to just send me an hdmi cable and they won't. They said if I break into the body of the copter it will void the warranty? Is this true? And they never offered a loaner in the meantime. I really don't want to send it in as I'm worried it will take FOREVER to get it back.

Funny just call thems 1hr ago and same response send us back the unit
and last week they offer me a hdmi replacement but never arrived
so that's why i call today
Something fishy in the world of baboons

The guy did say they just changed their policy. Stating that's its easier for them and that they are worried about people breaking other things while digging into it. I guess that's understandable. Hopefully the turn around time is quick.

They did the same for me, but my hdmi plug actually broke from me making sure it was plugged in. It was a very tight fit but they just RMA'd me A new solo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela