Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION PLEASE

This is the firmware on the Arducopter based Pixhawk in the solo.
This is what controls the motors, takes inputs from the sensors, compass, GPS, etc, and manages stable flight. It is the same device many of use use in our DIY drones, with some solo specific modifications.

This is not the same thing as the updates you get via the app updates. Those updates contains this firmware as needed, and also update the companion computer, controller, and gimbal. That is not what this is. Put simply this Pixhawk firmware has absolutely nothing to do with smart shots, geofences, flight modes, GoPro control, gimbal control, video, photos, etc. So please do not ask if this will do anything for any of those aspects. The answer is no.

No, this is not Arducopter master. This is a 3DR solo specific version of Arducopter 3.2. It is not AC3.3, 3.4, or 3.5rcx. It contains updates and improvements to the current production release of the Solo version. 3DR has not pushed this out to it's consumer customers, but it you are not locked out from doing it yourself.

So what improvements does this give you? Many wonderful things!
  • Improved landing detection. This greatly improves the solo's ability to detect it has landed. In the past, it could get confused by a rough, fast, or jerky landing. This results in it refusing to disarm or and sometimes flipping over. The new landing detection algorithm is greatly enhances. You will notice it now takes and extra second or so to disarm once you're on the ground. And you may see a little switch in the throttle. It is literally testing the ground. It works quite nicely.

• Low battery thrust priority. If the battery is getting dangerously low, it will allow itself to sacrifice yaw (rotation) control to increase thrust to prevent a crash. This could give you the thrust you need to land softly rather than dropping out of the sky.

• Distance based battery failsafe. It can now compute how much time it needs to get back to a safe landing at the home location, compare to how much battery is left, and execute the RTH failsafe based on that. The parameter defaults will calculate it based on having 10% remaining when it lands. You will notice the failsafe kicks in at 17-19% now rather than 9-11% like before. This is because it is trying to get back to a landing with 10% remaining rather than 0% remaining. You can adjust this by change the FS_BATT_CURR_RTL parameter with the Tower app or Mission Planner. It's default is 30. Reducing it to 22 or 25 will extend the flying time before failsafe, making it land at less than 10%.

• Will not lose altitude by going too fast in Follow Mode! In Smart Shots, the solo will not allow itself to go "too fast" causing a loss of altitude. Prior to this, you could go too fast, say following a moving car, and the solo would try to keep up, sacrificing altitude in the process. That will no longer happen. It will recognize it is losing altitude and back off the speed to prevent it. So for example, if you're doing a follow smart shot and start driving too fast, it will fall behind instead of crashing into the ground.

• Misc minor tweaks and adjustments to various parameters and code that probably aren't noticeable or "features". Just basic behind the scenes improvements.

• Anecdotally, I think it is remarkably more stable. I've burned through 6 batteries with this and noticed the video was the most smooth and stable I have ever captured with the solo. I cannot relate that to specific change in the firmware because I didn't write it. But I love it.
I have a question?? Using this new software does it make a difference if you are using an android device or IOS device?? Thanks

No. Not related to communications. This is the set of instructions for the flight controller only.
Thanks. I want to try it out. I downloaded the software but can't find what I need to open it. I know it was in the thread but could t find my way back. Getting old:)

you shouldn't have to downgrade for any reason. I've been running 1.5.3 since it was released and its super stable and the craft, coupled with the mro gps, the solo v2 shield is just rock solid. I can fly the darn thing surrounded by close in hills, houses and tree's and it maintains a solid lock on sats, and an hdop below 1 even when down low and a limited view of the sky.

the mRO gps module and the solo v2 shield are a must do upgrade in my opinion

Totally agree! I know some guys say theirs is perfect out of the box but the the mRo and shield made all the difference for me!

Sidepilot now support opensolo, not sure if anyone has successfully used it yet, that is IOS

I have used it successfully! Here is a link to video I made of doing the upgrade using sidepilot.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Darrell Muegge
READ THIS BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION PLEASE

This is the firmware on the Arducopter based Pixhawk in the solo.
This is what controls the motors, takes inputs from the sensors, compass, GPS, etc, and manages stable flight. It is the same device many of use use in our DIY drones, with some solo specific modifications.

This is not the same thing as the updates you get via the app updates. Those updates contains this firmware as needed, and also update the companion computer, controller, and gimbal. That is not what this is. Put simply this Pixhawk firmware has absolutely nothing to do with smart shots, geofences, flight modes, GoPro control, gimbal control, video, photos, etc. So please do not ask if this will do anything for any of those aspects. The answer is no.

No, this is not Arducopter master. This is a 3DR solo specific version of Arducopter 3.2. It is not AC3.3, 3.4, or 3.5rcx. It contains updates and improvements to the current production release of the Solo version. 3DR has not pushed this out to it's consumer customers, but it you are not locked out from doing it yourself.

So what improvements does this give you? Many wonderful things!
  • Improved landing detection. This greatly improves the solo's ability to detect it has landed. In the past, it could get confused by a rough, fast, or jerky landing. This results in it refusing to disarm or and sometimes flipping over. The new landing detection algorithm is greatly enhances. You will notice it now takes and extra second or so to disarm once you're on the ground. And you may see a little switch in the throttle. It is literally testing the ground. It works quite nicely.

• Low battery thrust priority. If the battery is getting dangerously low, it will allow itself to sacrifice yaw (rotation) control to increase thrust to prevent a crash. This could give you the thrust you need to land softly rather than dropping out of the sky.

• Distance based battery failsafe. It can now compute how much time it needs to get back to a safe landing at the home location, compare to how much battery is left, and execute the RTH failsafe based on that. The parameter defaults will calculate it based on having 10% remaining when it lands. You will notice the failsafe kicks in at 17-19% now rather than 9-11% like before. This is because it is trying to get back to a landing with 10% remaining rather than 0% remaining. You can adjust this by change the FS_BATT_CURR_RTL parameter with the Tower app or Mission Planner. It's default is 30. Reducing it to 22 or 25 will extend the flying time before failsafe, making it land at less than 10%.

• Will not lose altitude by going too fast in Follow Mode! In Smart Shots, the solo will not allow itself to go "too fast" causing a loss of altitude. Prior to this, you could go too fast, say following a moving car, and the solo would try to keep up, sacrificing altitude in the process. That will no longer happen. It will recognize it is losing altitude and back off the speed to prevent it. So for example, if you're doing a follow smart shot and start driving too fast, it will fall behind instead of crashing into the ground.

• Misc minor tweaks and adjustments to various parameters and code that probably aren't noticeable or "features". Just basic behind the scenes improvements.

• Anecdotally, I think it is remarkably more stable. I've burned through 6 batteries with this and noticed the video was the most smooth and stable I have ever captured with the solo. I cannot relate that to specific change in the firmware because I didn't write it. But I love it.
Can you use this update for the Green Cube ?

I finally connected to the Solo with Mission Planner and was able to adjust the RTL parameters as shown earlier in this thread, but for the life of me, I could not locate the entry referenced below - I'm running the stock cube btw -

"...You can adjust this by change the FS_BATT_CURR_RTL parameter with the Tower app or Mission Planner. It's default is 30. Reducing it to 22 or 25 will extend the flying time before failsafe, making it land at less than 10%..."

I finally connected to the Solo with Mission Planner and was able to adjust the RTL parameters as shown earlier in this thread, but for the life of me, I could not locate the entry referenced below - I'm running the stock cube btw -

"...You can adjust this by change the FS_BATT_CURR_RTL parameter with the Tower app or Mission Planner. It's default is 30. Reducing it to 22 or 25 will extend the flying time before failsafe, making it land at less than 10%..."
What Firmware are you using?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela