Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

You can only use a solo-specific Pixhawk in the solo. You cannot take a conventional Pixhawk designed for DIY UAS and put it in a Solo. It will not work properly. Likewise, you can't use a Solo pixhawk on a DIY bird reliably.

If posts #242 and #243 are addressed to me, I have a Pixhawk, sent by 3DR as a replacement unit for a faulty Pixhawk in my Solo. So it is the same as the original one. Bith work on Solo, but one has a faulty barometer.
If I made myself clear enough, I would appreciate any feedback on the questions I asked in post #241.

P2P,

What figures did you use for the hover time and climb/descent rates or I guess the question is what figures did you enter to Tower?

If you login through mission
Planner I do believe it tells you the maximum and minimum values you can set.
If you google it you can find the speed in mph.

d63ea161b650c02ddc14b8cc2f787919.jpg

With regard to the other values MP is your friend here as I stated above it give you the min and max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you login through mission
Planner I do believe it tells you the maximum and minimum values you can set.
If you google it you can find the speed in mph.

d63ea161b650c02ddc14b8cc2f787919.jpg

With regard to the other values MP is your friend here as I stated above it give you the min and max.

P2P

Thanks. I found the change for the speed. I don't have MP, I'm using tower to change the parameters. As you know it just has what they are already set to.

P2P

Thanks. I found the change for the speed. I don't have MP, I'm using tower to change the parameters. As you know it just has what they are already set to.

Mission planner is a free program for windows.

Try it but be very careful as it is very powerful. As Tower is.

As a matter of course I would save all the parameters in Tower if you look top right it of the screen it gives you the option to save them as a text file which can be saved obviously but also the option of saving them back to solo.

Better to be safe than sorry.

At a foot note.

If you save them back to solo make sure you give it a few minutes when you start solo next time for the calibrations to take place and don't just fly straight away as the parameters you will have uploaded back to solo are the last set of working parameters but things have changed like the gps satellite lock etc.

Just read a lot and and slowly slowly catch a monkey so to speak.

Baby steps.

And be very careful as some parameters can screw you up big style.

If in doubt don't change.

-Steve

Reactions: Jose969
And I'm sure many people on here are MP resources. I've used it now for over two years and I know it pretty well so any questions ....

And I'm sure many people on here are MP resources. I've used it now for over two years and I know it pretty well so any questions ....

Cool

That's you set for questions from me.

[emoji106]

As it's totally new to me.

I am only posting what I have read up in advance.

I'm a complete novice and don't mind saying so.

Thank you so much for the offer of as I need it.

It's a bit scary if you ask me, as I totally don't know what I'm doing but I think I am going about it correctly.

Backing up first. I mean it was the first thing I did as soon as I connected.

Then just looking but not touching.

[emoji4]

Great tread!
As far as I could understand the fw update will flash the Pixhawk only.
As I have a spare Pixhawk (with a misreading barometer), I could use it as a guinea pig and have one Pixhawk with 1.3.1 and one Pixhawk with 1.5.3. Apart from having to disassemble the whole Solo (and then assemble it again), probably reset/recalibrate it, do I have to take anything else in consideration when changing the Pixhawk on Solo?
Any feedback appreciated!
I don't think you need to go through the effort of swapping out the Pixhawk just to try the new firmware. Just flash the new firmware on the currently installed Pixhawk. If you don't like it, flash it back to the current version. Swapping out Pixhawks (especially to a defective one) just doesn't make sense to me!

Cool

That's you set for questions from me.

[emoji106]

As it's totally new to me.

I am only posting what I have read up in advance.

I'm a complete novice and don't mind saying so.

Thank you so much for the offer of as I need it.

It's a bit scary if you ask me, as I totally don't know what I'm doing but I think I am going about it correctly.

Backing up first. I mean it was the first thing I did as soon as I connected.

Then just looking but not touching.

[emoji4]

It can be. But as has been noted, save your parameters as soon as you can, that way if you do something you can revert back to a known good configuration.

I don't think you need to go through the effort of swapping out the Pixhawk just to try the new firmware. Just flash the new firmware on the currently installed Pixhawk. If you don't like it, flash it back to the current version. Swapping out Pixhawks (especially to a defective one) just doesn't make sense to me!
I meant that I could have a back up just in case something screws up during update as one member reported in a previous post.

P2P - just a remark that 3DR did send me a new Pixhawk when I opened up a ticket with them concerning inaccurate height Solo App showed on landing. Bottomline 3DR have some spare Pixhawks at hand.
Good to know, but when was that? Recently?

Good to know, but when was that? Recently?
Yes, 3DR shipped it a month ago, but it took me several months talking to CS to convince them to send it. Still not sure that this would solve my problem as I did not installed the replacement Pixhawk yet.

Reactions: SARDG
There are inherent risks with doing the upgrade as well as with not doing the upgrade. Choose your own adventure. Performing the upgrade will fix some known issues and may expose you to additional new ones. To date there are no reported issues immediately attributable to the upgrade, but the user base is small.

Last edited:
I installed 1.5.2 and took a short test flight. The 1.5.3 went into release and I installed it. I haven't flown since then but plan to tonight or some time this weekend. I did notice with 1.5.2 the longer shutdown times and that's not a bad thing. I'm looking forward to testing out the no loss of altitude when flying fast part of the update.

So finally 3DR got back to me today Friday 2/10 after initially submitting support requests through Solo app last Saturday 2/4. The support was very polite and helpful except that as was expected they do not replace individual components. They confirmed that the problem was accelerator sensor in Pixhawk 2.0 cube and offered to replace the entire Solo with a refurbished one. And informed me that the average turn around time is two weeks.
At this point I declined the replacement. I have had a spare Pixhawk 2.0 cube that I replaced an original faulty one with on Sunday 2/5 and had multiple flights and no issues so far.
I have bought Solo brand new and did not want to risk getting a refurbished replacement.
So for now I am flying on 1.5.2 firmware and pretty happy with it.
Can't wait to get the green Solo Pixhawk 2.1 cube from ProfiCNC.and try the Arducopter master on it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso