Assuming no hi-capacity battery this year.

Yes, but why 25C? Weight savings in batteries can be achieved as the C rating drops. An 8000mAh 15c Lipo can be had for roughly the same weight and cost of the Solo battery. For me, the primary reason I would like to see a 'battery case' designed for the Solo is the freedom of choice. If I want to run a larger/smaller battery to fit my mission requirements, I have that choice. Same reason I use an Android; I don't want Apple deciding for me what app I can run (screen recorder for example).

totally understandable. i took a battery apart and examined it. i have come to the conclusion that a higher capacity battery won't have any roi if designed by 3dr or any other manufacturer. if it was a just a dumb battery then yes it could be done on the cheap, but if you want it to remain a smart battery, then no. and even then for the flight time gains to even be worth it, solo would need weight saving, more efficient motors and props.

The thing that ticks me off is the damn 3DR Promises that never appear.

Flight time is the only issue I have with my Solo. I'm getting 14-15 minutes on new "just charged" batteries(GoPro rolling) and 10-11 minutes on 6 month old batteries. The reality is the competition is getting 20 minutes plus on a single battery so Solo needs to do better IMO.

I would invest in new props, motors or batteries if 3DR made them available as an add on but I don't feel like fiddling with aftermarket stuff, not that it isn't good or works well; I would just like to see a OE supported solution to the problem.

Got to agree with you. I start a flight with freshly charged battery. Switch on and all LED's burning brightly. Wait ages for Satellites and note that when I can "Fly" two or three LEDS are already out. Take off and when told my battery is at 25% start coming home. Crap myself when SOLO suddenly takes off vertically and I realize it is doing its Lassie Come Home thing. Solo lands beautifully and only one LED now burning. Total flying time about 15 mins. Disappointing!!!

The thing that ticks me off is the damn 3DR Promises that never appear.
I think the business model for an alternative battery was under the Made for Solo program. The optical flow DIY being discussed is just one example of the MFS ideology. A battery manufacture could easily produce a larger battery, why haven't they done so?

In this electronic world of chinese dominated manufacturing, it's not so much what you know, but who you know.

Reactions: pyrate
Teaser for later. Yes, that's an XT60 hanging out the solo's ass. Fueling the tanks now.

kcRtvxw4G2feRLN2XZI-F4YMZ2lYFP4sp_E8VJMCxLAnsrSGjYkonKrNX4Fpd5KQJFJk0T2YcPk2SKqEp_5mPvQzSMElQj7x4mya1LsG2Yo3E4wRr7cE1H7BZgvHSbwCVveXYKv20hLcVKOSQRNDV-atl2cP_6N6c2j3K16WcNmA2qFxhpkjRl8jBoZKlwJn7Y46VXS5NOMQs0S4h_kYSGE-7zz15iAEybILLpH_NIrzl4ee8BVK6-VrOz-5F28j0JHFe61YQweWQDyozXESZG5wTj3z8urGJzzv2EdwbKVCM_WZHISQyfaezXHeZ5YEMatqMbYJ7375S3_rP61mwS_27YiCSMYZT9OIHdpDpObTtqzWPyNFssCBDSTOuO7amKHEZg8Cpa5_JQHSrejdE0aXYPMJi13NTWWQHGqxjEB6jeXmJOPyMkPd_JfZYhlEHsRSEUZHVdwZQLAdZaKJrACD6PDmHmVjDO7LJo_f_SX2bpZNHfLbTdgQmCcw--2Y2DRLc5ksblG6qwLpdAtDgfJRc9nL47_m3_FFWLZEaZezv7p27zAnrcp4VFRgM8CQvRy3Aw=w1154-h865-no

Reactions: RichWest
Awesome Pedals!. That's what I was thinking with just some type of 3D printed tray that would sit in there with a Velcro'd battery. No % readings, just voltage and maybe current.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150