Arducopter version for Green Cube?

Reaction score
What version of Arducopter should be installed on the Green Cube?
The instructions on github say to download, "ArduCopter_x_Firmware. "

I did not see that exact name, but saw the "X" area show a couple of versions, 3.5.4 and 3.6.3.

I downloaded the 3.5.4 because the github instructions for green cube said to install "ArduCopter 3.5.x Firmware"

What firmware should I be running on the green cube now?

Thanks. I read that, too. But, that really does not answer my question.
I currently have 3.5.4 installed onto the GC.

BTW...this is a new GC install - just recently updated from a stock cube and followed the instructions found on github. I did the proper steps by installing OpenSolo 3 onto the controller and Solo, verified that working, and then did the GC upgrade.

Following the GC instructions on github, it said to download "ArduCopter_x_Firmware" in one step, and then said install "ArduCopter 3.5.x Firmware" in another step.

In Solex, there are these options:
ArduCopter 3.5.4 Firmware
ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters
ArduCopter 3.6 and 3.7 Controller Update
ArduCopter 3.6.3 Firmware
ArduCopter 3.6.3 Parameters

I only downloaded and installed "ArduCopter 3.5.4 Firmware." I did not install "ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters" because that was not mentioned in the github instructions for the GC install. Do I need to install this package?

In addition, the instructions for GC install on github are inconsistent with the steps found on Ardupilot
Here, the steps mention to to Wipe the Pixhawk and load the Arducopter Parameters package, where the instructions in the github for GC do not.

If I am running "ArduCopter 3.5.4 Firmware" do I also need to install "ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters?"

If I run "ArduCopter 3.6.3 Firmware" do I also need to run "ArduCopter 3.6.3 Parameters" and "ArduCopter 3.6 and 3.7 Controller Update?" Should I run this firmware on my GC, or is this for a different Pixhawk?

Lastly, what version is everyone running on their GC now?

Sorry for all these questions, but I am having a hard time finding out which package I should be using since I was given multiple options on Solex, and the GC install instructions I found are inconsistent. I just want to make sure I am doing the correct steps for the most current firmware so I don't have a catastrophic failure later.

Step 7, point 4 it clearly says
  • You do not need to load the ArduCopter parameters or ArduCopter firmware packages!!!
You did follow instructions and load open solo BEFORE installing the Green Cube as per instructions right? That is why you're seeing two different sets of instructions. If you were just installing open solo, you would not install parameters or firmware packages. You only install those if you then do an upgrade to the green cube. The instructions are quite clear on this point.

The reason instructions reference Arducopter X is because there's no magical way the instructions are going to know which version you have upgraded to. 3.5.4, 3.6, 3.7?? So download the firmware and parameters for whichever version you have installed.

I would stay away from version 3.6/3.7 Dev, there are a few issues that are being worked on.

@ IrishmanPDX, the step 7 you mentioned is for the OpenSolo 3.0 install. I already have that installed. The instructions I am mentioning are for the new GC which is after the OpenSolo installation.

As mentioned in my previous response, I followed the exact steps listed for the GC install.
"BTW...this is a new GC install - just recently updated from a stock cube and followed the instructions found on github. I did the proper steps by installing OpenSolo 3 onto the controller and Solo, verified that working, and then did the GC upgrade "
So yes, I did install and verify OpenSOlo 3.0 before I did the steps for the GC installation.

I get the "X" nomenclature and its purpose in the documentation. However, I am given several options in Solex regarding Arducopter, as mentioned in my previous response.

I also said earlier is there are two inconsistent instructions for installing the GC. I do know there is a different instruction for installing OpenSolo found on github that needs to be completed before the GC which I have already completed prior to doing the GC upgrade.

The 3.6.3 I see in Solex does not have "dev" or "test" in its file name. Are you still saying to stay away from it?

If I have 3.5.4 on my GC, do I also need to run the 3.5.x parameters? Seems from your response that I should run the 3.5.x parameters package for the GC; although, the github instructions for the GC do not mention it. The github GC steps only mentions running parameter packages for the Here or Landing Gear. But, Ardupilot instructions mention to load the Arducopter parameters.

Given that, the main questions I have which I will repeat:
If I am running "ArduCopter 3.5.4 Firmware" do I also need to install "ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters?" Seems the answer to this question is "yes," but I want to be sure before I do that step.

If I run "ArduCopter 3.6.3 Firmware" do I also need to run "ArduCopter 3.6.3 Parameters" and "ArduCopter 3.6 and 3.7 Controller Update?" Should I run this firmware on my GC, or is this for a different Pixhawk?

What version is everyone running on their GC now?

@ IrishmanPDX, the step 7 you mentioned is for the OpenSolo 3.0 install. I already have that installed. The instructions I am mentioning are for the new GC which is after the OpenSolo installation.

As mentioned in my previous response, I followed the exact steps listed for the GC install.
"BTW...this is a new GC install - just recently updated from a stock cube and followed the instructions found on github. I did the proper steps by installing OpenSolo 3 onto the controller and Solo, verified that working, and then did the GC upgrade "
So yes, I did install and verify OpenSOlo 3.0 before I did the steps for the GC installation.

I get the "X" nomenclature and its purpose in the documentation. However, I am given several options in Solex regarding Arducopter, as mentioned in my previous response.

I also said earlier is there are two inconsistent instructions for installing the GC. I do know there is a different instruction for installing OpenSolo found on github that needs to be completed before the GC which I have already completed prior to doing the GC upgrade.

The 3.6.3 I see in Solex does not have "dev" or "test" in its file name. Are you still saying to stay away from it?

If I have 3.5.4 on my GC, do I also need to run the 3.5.x parameters? Seems from your response that I should run the 3.5.x parameters package for the GC; although, the github instructions for the GC do not mention it. The github GC steps only mentions running parameter packages for the Here or Landing Gear. But, Ardupilot instructions mention to load the Arducopter parameters.

Given that, the main questions I have which I will repeat:
If I am running "ArduCopter 3.5.4 Firmware" do I also need to install "ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters?" Seems the answer to this question is "yes," but I want to be sure before I do that step.

What version is everyone running on their GC now?
If you have 3.5.4 on your GC congrats, you're most of the way there. It says on the instructions for the Green Cube install that you need to install the Firmware package. Since you have 3.5.4 installed, see if you have matching firmware options to download and install. You do not need to install the parameter file, it says in the release notes (which you must not have seen) that the proper solo defaults are baked in.
3.5.4 is a very stable release,

So what you need.....
You've already taken care of the Open Solo install on both your drone and controller. So the only thing you need now is the 3.5.4 firmware installed as per instructions. The firmware already contains the baked in Parameters, this is why there is no instruction telling you to install the 3.5.x parameter package.

Reading the release notes quickly, I see you can (if you want) install the 3.6.3 Firmware instead of the 3.5.4 (no parameter file needed). You can then also install the 3.6 & 3.7 controller update on your controller. There is a 3.7 Dev test package for the Solo and that's the one you want to stay away from.

I myself have 5 solo's. 1 stock for trouble shooting install issues, 3 using 3.5.4, 1 using 3.6 and one using 3.7 Dev. The 3.7 version has gimbal issues hence the reason to stay away from it.... that and it's a test version.... your bird could fall out of the sky, explode or rent movies you have no interest in watching... hey... anythings possible....

Last edited:
Reactions: june03dr
3.6.3 is stable and it gives you a much more efficient operating system Chibios. A couple other improvements too but can't recall them at the moment.

The instructions clearly spell out the answer to everything I've seen in this thread. Please actually read the instructions that pop up in the packages in Solex that spell all this out very clearly, along with the instructions in Github.

Copter 3.5.4 was the stable release of ArduCopter back when Open Solo 3 was released. It is completely compatible and safe for use with no other modifications or files on Open Solo 3. As the instructions very clearly state in both github and the package on Solex, no you do not need to load the parameter file. The ArduCopter FW files on Solex have the parameter baked in already.

Copter 3.6.3 is a newer stable release of ArduCopter. It is not ChibiOS though, that would be 3.7-dev. The package available in Solex is compatible with Open Solo 3 on the green cube. But as the instructions in the package very clearly state: You should also install the "ArduCopter 3.6 and 3.7 Controller Update" package. This will update the controller to make it compatible with ArduCopter 3.6 and 3.7. And again, no you do not need to install the parameter packages.

Copter 3.7-dev is for testing. I'm not explaining it here. The instructions on github and the installer package explain everything again very clearly.

Reactions: Kiraniv Group
This is actually a good thread at this time for me. I'm going to upgrade a Solo with the Green Cube. I know there are a number of youtube videos and other instructions floating around but they're most likely outdated. Sounds like it's always best to follow the github directions.

If you have 3.5.4 on your GC congrats, you're most of the way there. It says on the instructions for the Green Cube install that you need to install the Firmware package. Since you have 3.5.4 installed, see if you have matching firmware options to download and install. You do not need to install the parameter file, it says in the release notes (which you must not have seen) that the proper solo defaults are baked in.
3.5.4 is a very stable release,

So what you need.....
You've already taken care of the Open Solo install on both your drone and controller. So the only thing you need now is the 3.5.4 firmware installed as per instructions. The firmware already contains the baked in Parameters, this is why there is no instruction telling you to install the 3.5.x parameter package.

Reading the release notes quickly, I see you can (if you want) install the 3.6.3 Firmware instead of the 3.5.4 (no parameter file needed). You can then also install the 3.6 & 3.7 controller update on your controller. There is a 3.7 Dev test package for the Solo and that's the one you want to stay away from.

I myself have 5 solo's. 1 stock for trouble shooting install issues, 3 using 3.5.4, 1 using 3.6 and one using 3.7 Dev. The 3.7 version has gimbal issues hence the reason to stay away from it.... that and it's a test version.... your bird could fall out of the sky, explode or rent movies you have no interest in watching... hey... anythings possible....

Hello I just read the posts on here and you seem like you know your stuff. I am having gimbal issues with my greencube that’s on the 3.7 dev and had open solo. I would really like to revert to 3.5.4 which worked great but not exactly sure what steps to take. I can pretty much read instructions good so wanted to ask if you would be ok with guiding me on how to get it done?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421