anyone wear out a motor?

Reaction score
i'm trying to decide on buying another solo as a spare for parts. so far i only crashed once and lost a couple of propellers. i read that motors are replaced every 800 hours. has anyone had to replace theirs due to wear? i was going to save up for the mavic. but i'm having so much fun with the solo :)

I think you should buy another solo for parts and here's why:

- Two solos are still cheaper than a mavic
- If you look on Amazon, buying four spare motors is more expensive than buying a Solo that's on sale
- Motors WILL wear out eventually, it's good to have peace of mind.

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
Actually, the motor BEARINGS are the primary wear components under normal operation. These should be replaced as required as a set (two bearings per motor) not the entire motor. Just measure your bearings (smaller one is a 4mm X 9mm X 4mm) with a micrometer & buy good quality bearing. You can buy 20 4x9x4 for <$10 but you'll get crappy bearings.

Anyone find a GOOD, cost effective source for ceramic bearings?

Where did you read that motors are replaced at 800 hours? I've never heard that about Solo.
It doesn't have any "time-limited" parts.

get you some T-motors when you are out of warranty
never had one fail, but did have really bad balanced ones, and I ruined a couple with sand

Alot of T-motor swaps i've read about are "just in case".

Use your $300 like a $300 drone. Buy 2 in case one wears out? The 3dr represents an amazing deal but its not like you can't get the phantom 3 standard for $80 more.. Lets not forget it comes with a camera/gimbal.

There's always a deal. Enjoy the fact you get to fly and if you wear out your motors before something else better comes along then you're a commercial user and have the wrong setup.

Alot of older forum members who see a $300 3DR as disposable compared to the $1,000 + they have in theirs.. Bottom line is they have $1,000's in a $300 drone not the other way around.

If motor is what you wanted, just buy few motor and put in storage. 2216 is very common motor and very easy to find. The real McCoy is about $30, good clones are about $10 each. Discounted sales about $4 each.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44