Anyone want a Storm32 gimbal adapter cable?

Would you buy a gimbal adapter cable (terminating in female Dupont connectors) for $10-$15?

• I'd buy one

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I'd buy more than one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd just as soon make my own

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm testing same gimbal and tried to power GoPro by USB port but if HDMI cable is connected same time, GoPro stop recording. It would be nice to have option to charge camera while on gimbal. Will test with other cameras (Xiaomi and SJCam). I'm interested even I already cut my gimbal wires :)

To mount Storm gimbal I used four short srews with nuts to mount it to regular Solo gimbal plate.
What you did will work, I just thought that would be a pain for cabling so I hit up my friendly neighborhood guy-with-a-milling-machine-in-his-garage. Your solution is probably a little more practical though.

You can charge the camera (3DR includes a 5v rail that provides up to 1A of power on the gimbal cable) but IIRC they disabled that in the firmware at one point because it was draining the Solo's battery way too fast to be charging the GoPro constantly. I probably won't sell cables with a pigtail for the 5v line (unless there is decent interest - feel free to prove me wrong by posting in this thread) but if you're good with a soldering iron it's not a superhuman feat to solder to these connectors even though they're technically supposed to be surface mounted.

Also, just a status update, I am still doing some math to determine shipping and final pricing (may be closer to $20) but I finished the first "production sample" cable today. Had to get good at using the crimpers on these tiny connectors.

vFJGad3.jpg

The astute among you may notice the power wires go to a connector that is similar to an ancient 2 pin PC fan connector, and you may say "the SToRM32 boards don't have that connector for power!" Not to worry, I will be including male headers with the cable kits that can easily be soldered to the power pads on the SToRM32 boards. That way no soldering is necessary to connect/disconnect the adapter cable from the SToRM32 board.

UPDATE: If you are interested please read this!

I have been doing some math on parts cost and I realized that it is a lot more sensible not to include every wire of the cable. I could include all 8 wires, but all you need to make a SToRM32 gimbal work is battery power (2 wires) and MAVlink from the PixHawk (2 more wires). Nobody has any information on the proprietary GoPro USB bus so we can leave those three wires off, and we don't need the little 5v rail that's meant for powering the GoPro.

So the resulting cable would be 4 wires, and include everything you need to connect a SToRM32 gimbal like mine to the Solo. The only soldering would be if your gimbal doesn't have power headers, in which case you could solder 2 male breakaway headers to your SToRM32 board's power headers. Here is a crude mockup of the cable, it would be 4-5 inches long:

npOnMST.png

If you want to buy one of these cables, please visit this poll. I need to know how many people are interested before I can move forward.

Would you buy the gimbal cable mocked up in the forum thread?

Is this info you're searching for?

List of GoPro Hero 4 I2C Commands

sorry I missed the poll.. But i'm still definitely interested.

Will this solution allow other camera's to be used? I'm personally not too worried about smart shots with another camera, but I know that's been some people's reservations.

Update: Several of you have asked me about the cable. I have been away from the forum for a while since I am at university, but I am considering making a batch of these cables.

If you are interested, please complete this poll by October 5th. I need this information to determine if this is a cost-effective use of my time. https://goo.gl/forms/mYq0t5rjL2mNmod03

UPDATE: If you are interested please read this!

I have been doing some math on parts cost and I realized that it is a lot more sensible not to include every wire of the cable. I could include all 8 wires, but all you need to make a SToRM32 gimbal work is battery power (2 wires) and MAVlink from the PixHawk (2 more wires). Nobody has any information on the proprietary GoPro USB bus so we can leave those three wires off, and we don't need the little 5v rail that's meant for powering the GoPro.

So the resulting cable would be 4 wires, and include everything you need to connect a SToRM32 gimbal like mine to the Solo. The only soldering would be if your gimbal doesn't have power headers, in which case you could solder 2 male breakaway headers to your SToRM32 board's power headers. Here is a crude mockup of the cable, it would be 4-5 inches long:

npOnMST.png

If you want to buy one of these cables, please visit this poll. I need to know how many people are interested before I can move forward.
Would you buy the gimbal cable mocked up in the forum thread?
Hi, im novice, here, just want to know where the green and grey going to be soldering? and what they do? Thx

UPDATE: This is the current cable design. It provides power to the gimbal and MAVlink (making the gimbal controlled from the Solo transmitter). It does NOT provide access to GoPro controls like the stock gimbal.

npOnMST.png

I just successfully installed a Storm32 gimbal (the cheap aluminum BangGood kind) on my Solo. Still have a little more tuning and long-term testing to do, but everything works and the bird didn't explode upon takeoff, so I'm calling it a success.

Obviously mounting a third party gimbal is a little difficult, but I know a guy with a milling machine so we used some aluminum and made a nice little plate for it. You could easily make it out of plywood, I just wanted to play with the milling machine. ;)

Here is my question: if I produced a small batch of adapter cables to use the OEM gimbal connector with other stuff, would anybody be interested? I figure the most universal way is to have each wire terminate in a female Dupont connector (fits over GPIO pins like on Arduinos/Raspberry Pis/etc).

I already know I can fabricate these, and I think I could sell them for between $10 and $15 (haven't worked out exact pricing just yet, that's a ballpark guesstimate). If enough people would buy them I'll probably put together a small batch. If you want one, please fill out the poll below.

Happy to answer any questions or take suggestions!
Hi, still have the cable to sale? im interested to buy one, if possible, thx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela