Any Black Magic Gurus out there

Man that micro cinema is nice. With the ability to shoot raw and record onboard makes it a deal. It's tempting to look at the 4K model but you will spend another $1k+ to add onboard recording (not to mention the added weight).
Speaking of weight, what lens(es) are you all looking at?
I own the 14, 20 and 25 mm pancakes

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
Hi Joris,

I'd agree, it seems that TV stations are still happy with 1080p and they dislike 4k as it takes so much longer to process, when they are just going to render it at 1080p anyway. Also better to give them more detail they can work with to make the shot look good (so agree on the dynamic range comment). Thats what I understand the industry to be doing, does anyone else agree or disagree with that? I'm just curious as my info is from a mate who does the processing side at a production company, but always good to get a few peoples views.

Chris
i deliver a sports event show to networks all over the us and beyond and they all request delivery in 720 actually...most if the 1080 you see at home is upscaled via cable providers... Ymmv

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
But that is changing

Chatting to my mate who does TV broadcast stuff - HDTV, I'd say we have a few years to go till they want 4k. I'd give it another 2 years. Like Jibcamera said hes only getting requests for live TV at 720p and my mate only has a need for 1080p, it will take the uptake of UHD TV's to drive the desire along, but I agree two years from now 4K will be the desired format. In another year the 4K stuff will have come down in price a bit too, whether it's cheaper to get 1080p and 4K later is the question....... If you are in film then my understanding is that they dont mind 4K, and of course if you get a client who needs 4K then it's a no brainer in my eyes.

Are there any others who are in the TV and Film industry

I'm moving more and more towards the BMMCC at 1080p and upgrade to a professional 4K camera down the track.

Last edited:
But that is changing
Yep, I agree. I think it all comes down to what are your clients asking for. Are they simply asking for "aerial footage"? Are the asking for "footage for my 1080 production"? Or, are they asking "can you fly a Red up for our movie"?

For the most part, you'll need to deliver beautiful, stable and well framed images without killing anyone in the process.

You can most certainly do this with a bmmcc and upgrade as @ChrisBird states. But by the time you and your clients are ready for that you will probably want something that can lift a Red or similar with plenty of redundancy as well as dual controls.

I've been a commercial editor for 20+ years, a documentary shooter for 10 and a producer for the last 3. I've done a total of 1 production shot and delivered on 4K. For the last 3 years my projects have been shot on Canon C100s (the 4K shoot was done on a Canon 1Dc). I am brand new to operating a drone. Others, I'm sure, will have different experiences.

Those Canons are nice.
Going to keep an eye on that. Camera it is the leading candidate at this point. Looking for a gimble

I like that Hicee but its preorder for 129. does not make sense
its nice that it comes configured for the camera and a 14mm

I think we will continue to see more and more small footprint, large sensor, pro glass camera bodies come out,..i kind of see that as the fairly-near future...its really not necessary to fly heavier rigs almost already...and to what benefit? more dangerous, more expensive, i think soon we'll have pro quality everything under 2lbs..including remote zoom/focus etc...i mean imagine if one of the camera manufacturers came out with a pro-sumer market drone specific camera ?
just my opinion

Reactions: Jubalr
Well my rig is not huge but I would not fly it anywhere near people. Its built now
right on, youre ready for "now"...im laying back for the time being and bitching to 3dr to give us a better gimbal or instructions, haha

both approaches have their appeal
never was big on laying back, blessing and a curse.
Amazing times. just maybe over a year ago I had never flown anything RC other than solo, and was green at that.
fast forward a year and I now I am doing custom builds
its fun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44