Android New Update, App Crash/Force Closing

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading a bunch of the forums trying to understand what's happening with my app and inability to connect the app to the controller. Everytime I fire up the drone/controller and try to connect to the Solo app, it force closes. Did factory reset multiple times, get to the message of System Updates-Connect to Solo app, at which point I try and the app force closes/crashes. I've seen that this is mostly an android issue due to new 9(Pie) update. Looking for any sort of answers because being grounded really really sucks. Thanks

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Put in hours of research but still have no idea

Invest in Solex, the 3DR app is no longer supported and hasn't been for years.
I used it for almost a year now with no issues. I'm just worried I won't be able to update even after buying Solex, as the update says connect to Solo app. I guess buying Solex is my next best move. Will keep you updated, was just looking to see if there was any quick fix. Thanks

Because you factory reset the drone, it now wants to connect to the 3DR servers for the preflight update. This will happen every single time you factory reset the drone. That in itself is another problem as sooner or later, 3DR are going to take those servers down and no one is going to be able to perform that preflight update. This is why you need to upgrade your drone to Open Solo and get rid of the need for a preflight update forever.

Because you factory reset the drone, it now wants to connect to the 3DR servers for the preflight update. This will happen every single time you factory reset the drone. That in itself is another problem as sooner or later, 3DR are going to take those servers down and no one is going to be able to perform that preflight update. This is why you need to upgrade your drone to Open Solo and get rid of the need for a preflight update forever.
Can you send me a link as to where to find Open Solo download/how to convert? Is it attached with the Solex app?

Reactions: Bob firewheels
Everything you need to know can be found here. Mind you, you may need to get your preflight update done before install. In that case, borrow someone's android device who can run the Solo App.

OpenSolo/documentation
The above is a link to the Open Solo release notes and how to install using Solex.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Put in hours of research but still have no idea
My concern is that when the servers are no longer available, how do you procede on a new old stock Solo ? Can you download the update, and save it for later

My concern is that when the servers are no longer available, how do you procede on a new old stock Solo ? Can you download the update, and save it for later
For example, if 5 years from now, if I receive a brand new Solo in the box, how do I procede?

For example, if 5 years from now, if I receive a brand new Solo in the box, how do I procede?
Considering the release year for the drone was 2015, that makes it 4 years old, so 5 years from now it would be 9 years old. Do you really thing you're going to be getting a "brand new in box" 9 year old drone? In fact you wouldn't even have to worry about using it since it's doubtful there would be any batteries for it.... Maybe you'd go hop in your brand new Ford Pinto and go somewhere to fly it... :p Just kidding...

... on the outside chance such a thing would happen, there has actually been a very good solution around for quite some time. It's called "Open Solo". It's a completely updated software package for the drone that brings many many different improvements, allows for new flight modes, gives you the options of some great upgrades and on top of all of that, it cuts the need for you to do the "preflight update" ever again.

So 5 years from now when you get your brand new in box 3DR solo, you will simply upgrade it to Open Solo and start flying happily (while your friends and family stare at you for flying an antique drone).

• Haha
Reactions: DJMc and jimloss

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc