Altitude not holding when over 35mph

Reaction score
So here is a video i just put together, because rich and I are having the same issue.Among other similar issues.

Anything about 35mph, nose down loses a TON of altitude FAST.
i dont have the overlay, but you can easy see the drop in the video.

184 ft to start
125 when done.
pitches up a bit to about 140 and holds.

45mph downwind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FYI, posted to the 3dr solo UG on facebook 2 minutes ago and already have another person citing the same thing.

In Fly mode, set to full speed, I saw no drop in altitude but only a max speed of 30mph. If you are not in Fly mode, I would expect it to lose altitude at full translation speed...

In fly mode you likely wont.. ive modified my fly mode parameters to allow a higher speed in that mode.
Even in manual mode though, the quad is designed to hold alt... the fact that it doesnt, is not good

In fly mode you likely wont.. ive modified my fly mode parameters to allow a higher speed in that mode.
Even in manual mode though, the quad is designed to hold alt... the fact that it doesnt, is not good
I notice the same yesterday in manual almost cut grass. I am a rookie but have been flying in manual and stabilize to get used to it. It is a different animal in stabilize. But manual I was losing alt. as well.

In Fly mode, set to full speed, I saw no drop in altitude but only a max speed of 30mph. If you are not in Fly mode, I would expect it to lose altitude at full translation speed...

Why? In manual it should hold altitude.

I also lost altitude in FLY at full, went from 400 down to 250 over a short distance on a 1 mile flight.

Is it normal for copter to loose altitude at over 35mph in manual mode?
Do you recommend one request support for this issue?

I am seeing this big time.

all i can say is dont use sport unless you have lots of altitude, but yes, it typically should hold altitude in fly

I think this has been a shortcoming of the Pixhawk for some time now.

I don't think they have put much priority into a fix yet.

I think its a bug. Alt hold should fly just like GPS fly mode with slight drift.

Either it doesn't have the power to fly 55mph forward like they said it would and maintain elevation or at the pitch required to make speed 35mph and above there is pressure changes (turbulence) inside the body. Pretty sure most baro sensors for altitude are susceptible to turbulence. Just my guess(es)

Reactions: Stimmy
Once they answer my question about level calibration after every battery change, I'll start working on this one.

Thanks gents

I started a support ticket yesterday. So will probably get an answer tomorrow.

Mine was losing alt yesterday sitting still in Manual it was foggy and dense air but that's the first I've seen that. It's always lost altitude at speed since day one I've just compensated for this but when filming once we finally get a gimbal this is going to be a real draw back.

Did help some re calibrating level with a four foot level so it's precise. Seems that after a week or two level needs done again from what I've noticed flight wise which seemed odd to me. Seemingly fixes most issues but is a pain and shouldn't be necessary.

Man the more I think and post the more issues I've been ignoring and fixing myself being dead set on solo success. I really hope they get things together before its time to make the final call cause there's a lot I love but for the money it should work as it's supposed to at least. It's killing me especially with all I have into it that's not from 3dr but today's the first I've even debated not keeping it, problem is I don't want another phantom and after spending on all these extras couldn't afford or justify at least buying anything more expensive now.

i will assume the weight of the gimbal will make this altitude drop issue worse or occur at a lower speed

So here is a video i just put together, because rich and I are having the same issue.Among other similar issues.

Anything about 35mph, nose down loses a TON of altitude FAST.
i dont have the overlay, but you can easy see the drop in the video.

184 ft to start
125 when done.
pitches up a bit to about 140 and holds.

45mph downwind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hi Hawk, I tested this several time on Sunday and couldn't get it to vary by more than 2-3' Went a longer distance too, 1000' at 39mph. Going to go out this evening and see if I can get it to drop by increasing the speed and see if it starts to drop and at what speed/angle. Physics will kick in at a certain pitch angle, when the props are generating more forward thrust than lift. Same as a helicopter and the wing of a plane. There is also a setting in pixhawk for how much you will allow it to compensate. This can be easily verified by flying in manual at a speed it drops and see if you can compensate with throttle. If you can, then it hit a pre set limit. If not, then you have reached the point of diminishing returns, same as a full size aircraft.

I'll report back my findings..

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeWingsuit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny