After mRo GPS upgrade, Solex menu items greyed out

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is all related, but I upgraded my GPS from an mRo black GPS to the new 'NEW' mRo purple GPS (w/ USB), and when I first turned on the Solo afterwards, I had an EKF HOME VARIANCE error which went away after a few seconds. I received a large amount of HIGH TRAFFIC messages as well, even while the Solo was ready for flight and I was in the FLY screen. After some time, everything seemed to settle down.

Currently, when Solex connects to the Solo, it will say: READING PARAMETERS, then: 512 PARAMETERS DOWNLOADED. Afterwards, the Solo is ready to fly (according to Solex and the controller), but the FLIGHT PROFILES, VEHICLE SETTINGS, IMU CALIBRATION, and FIRMWARE UPDATES menu items become greyed out. Sometimes I can restart the Solo and trick Solex into allowing me to select those items, but the IMU calibration is unable to start (even though Solex will prompt me through all the steps, or just do nothing while pressing the BEGIN CALIBRATION button) and the vehicle settings won't stick; they will download, but always revert to whatever is saved in the vehicle, even after I change them and it says they were updated. I have tried power cycling everything several times.

I am on a stock cube running Open Solo 2.5. Both the vehicle and controller were updated with no issues and have flown successfully about five times before the GPS swap. I am rather meticulous, and don't think my installation damaged anything. I can even hit the FLY button and the Solo is ready to go... I just can't calibrate it or change the settings. I assume I can't update it either since that option is greyed out as well.

Can anyone offer some advice? Am I doing something wrong? It has never acted like this in the past.

Thank you.

P.S. Just in case you see the 14 satellites in the controller photo and assume that new 'NEW' mRo purple GPS sucks, that was taken while indoors on the first floor of a second story home. ;-)

d41d3503c4661f16c3c8b7946356ffb3.jpg

3caa3c6940705fd9bcb550dc95e285b9.jpg

0d9faa8a5d60fa800a68c66999a22024.jpg

f29d65bbcb8350b0e5a79560537e8154.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't. I don't have it installed on my tablet. I am reinstalling 2.5 onto the Solo now to see what happens. Then I guess I'll go that route.

Now I'm getting an INERTIAL NAVIGATION SYSTEM NOT CALIBRATED, and LEVEL ERROR after reinstalling Open Solo 2.5. I also updated Solex to the latest version (I didn't realize I was a version behind), but that didn't make a difference. Unfortunately, the Solex app won't let me calibrate the Solo, so I guess I will try the stock Solo app or Mission Planner (I think MP is an option...).

893792ff303097e3d41da1b8525ed1a7.jpg

Well, I can't help but think this is a Solex issue. Not sure what it is, but according to the 3DR Solo app, it calibrated successfully, did the reboot beeps, the controller updated to this screen (pictured), and it is ready to fly again.

I still can't access those menus from Solex though...

b4c7661176ac6ac4f0171488fd0617e9.jpg

3c482e26a87269ac8a491d6b0ae19f43.jpg

what is the difference of the purple version?
compass?
I have not messed with that gps since the here came out

No compass. From the web:

"Newer revision! We added a micro USB port that enables you to access all u-Blox features via u-Center and power the device. We also added the latest Taoglas Antenna tuned for GPS + GLONASS, which provides a higher gain compared to any of its predecessors (from 1.5dBi to 5dBi)."

I just went outside and flew it, and it flew fine. Oddly, Solex seems to be working again. At least it is saving the parameters now under VEHICLE SETTINGS.

Who knows...

It was a glitch when it saved everything. Haha. It still doesn't work right.

Everything is like my first post still. [emoji53]

It was a glitch when it saved everything. Haha. It still doesn't work right.

Everything is like my first post still. [emoji53]

I'm no expert but I'd imagine you've considered popping the old GPS back in, right?

It flies great, I just can't change any settings via Solex.

Last edited:
Interesting - the original error relates to sensor fusion - here's a fairly deep discussion of the 'EKF' in EKF HOME VARIANCE

The Extended Kalman Filter: An Interactive Tutorial

I don't claim to understand this - but it's worth some study since there's a lot of sensor fusion going on under the covers in our drones.

The EKF error only happened once then went away. The menu items being greyed out remains.

Anyone else have the purple mRo GPS and Solex?

Did you have a Flight Profile active? Each one of those menu items is disabled if you have a Flight Profile active. If you do, reset it (so you don't have an active Flight Profile) and see if the menu items enable then.

Hi There,

I have a very similar issue with my Solo (currently all stock with 1.5.1 on it but just updeated it with the mRo GPS). I wanted to update to the latest open solo, so bought Solex and am currently following the install procedures (firmwares for controller and solo downloaded) ... however not at the stage of being connected to the vehicle and wanting todo the firmware update, but the option isgreyed out (so is calibrate IMU and vehicle settings).

Everything thing else seems fine (although I havent tried to fly it) except that I have the high message traffic warning on ... and its staying one (been more than 10 mins so far) ... so I am guessing that that is the issue ...

Update (whilst writing this post!) ... I loaded the solo app and did an IMU calibration there (all good) then went back into solex and it has cleared the high message traffic warning, so update firmware is now available ... so if you have this issue, this could be one way to fix it.

Half way though the update process now so fingers crossed it will all work (got another solo to do after this one if all goes well!).

Regards,

S.

ps: So far Solex looks awsome btw :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig