Advice on rendering footage from the GoPro?

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's a video of some clips I strung together from this morning. I'm new with GoPros. I can edit video, but don't fully understand how to render the final file for the sharpest results. The video above was rendered for HD web video at 30fps I believe. It looks okay but I've seen better on YouTube.

Any advice on getting sharp video would be very welcome!

edit: What about filters for the GoPro? The sun wreaked havoc in some of these shots. Also, should I turn the low light option off on the GoPro during the day?

Reactions: TaniaGail
Bren, I would not waste your time until getting a gimbal. You will never get footage like you see on Youtube until you have one.

One thing you might play with is ProTune. Read about it in your manual and try it in GoPro Studio.

Reactions: TaniaGail
You would want the low light option off in daytime. It's good for evening. Nice videos even without the gimbal. Resolution is fine. I usually run mine on my P2 at 720p and 60 FPS with simultaneous stills.

Here's a video of some clips I strung together from this morning. I'm new with GoPros. I can edit video, but don't fully understand how to render the final file for the sharpest results. The video above was rendered for HD web video at 30fps I believe. It looks okay but I've seen better on YouTube.

edit: What about filters for the GoPro? The sun wreaked havoc in some of these shots. Also, should I turn the low light option off on the GoPro during the day?
Hello Bren, not so concerned with the video those are easy fixes and as rrmccabe said it will improve with gimbal, but unlike rrmccabe, I would continue to use the go pro with /without gimbal, that's just the photog in me...I'd like to know about how the Solo perform. did you attempt any of the pre programed camera functions i.e. Orbit?cable cam? How long did you fly? did you drain the battery. Any control issues?

Wow Bren...some of the desert terrain is cool...and the homes in the side of the cliffs..awesome.. betcha don't have to worry to much about FAA whining about you flying out there.

Yea I did not mean don't use it. Just meant I would not go to a lot of work in post as its a losing battle. Once he gets a gimbal he can start to make edits the way he wants.

I personally would have a hard time trying to edit work on the Solo's fixed mount.

I have actually downloaded a couple videos offline from the Solo fixed mount and tried to do some post work including stabilization and it wasnt pretty.

Hello Bren, not so concerned with the video those are easy fixes and as rrmccabe said it will improve with gimbal, but unlike rrmccabe, I would continue to use the go pro with /without gimbal, that's just the photog in me...I'd like to know about how the Solo perform. did you attempt any of the pre programed camera functions i.e. Orbit?cable cam? How long did you fly? did you drain the battery. Any control issues?
Yep, looking forward to having the Gimbal. Tilt will be great. I am enjoying practicing with the fixed mount though. In the video there's a mix of manual flying, cable cam, and one selfie. I tried orbit out once and it worked but haven't gotten to try follow me yet. I don't like that it will only follow the device running the app. I'd like to be able to use a different device as the Beacon.

I haven't timed it yet. I should do that. I usually stop around 20 percent but have gone as low as 7. The lady in the controller starts yelling a lot once it gets below 25.

I tried flying under an interstate overpass spanning the Rio Grande. The solo deemed to start drifting on its own so I got the heck out of there before the RTH function engaged which would send the solo up into the bottom of the bridge and back down into the river. Living on the edge, huh?

Wow Bren...some of the desert terrain is cool...and the homes in the side of the cliffs..awesome.. betcha don't have to worry to much about FAA whining about you flying out there.
Thanks! I actually can't do much flying at my own apartment because I live two blocks from an air force base!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44