Gopro Hero 5/6/7 and the Solo Gimbal

I'm guessing that camera don't have any remote functionality other than an HDMI output since the only means of wired communication is between the camera and the HDMI cable since the hero port was removed correct? Meaning you'd have to start recording before takeoff and have to land to stop or change any settings on it, which isn't that bad, I had to do the same with my hero 3 black...
Actually I have full control trough Solex :)

I was thinking of attaching a GoPro HERO-7 (probably mounted upside-down using Velcro & rubber bands) to the underside of the Solo gimbal while using the installed HERO-4 as a flight camera. Then either use WiFi to control the -7 camera or just capture the whole flight.

"If this works" it would bypass a lot of hackery. If properly aligned, the flight cam should be good enough for framing for the hero-7. Obviously landing gear leg extensions would be required for clearance. The only downside I can think of would be the weight penalty of carrying two relatively heavy cameras.

I know the Solo's gimbal stepper motors aren't very strong, but if properly balanced it might just work. The assembly would be bottom-heavy, perhaps some top weights to compensate? Or maybe some stronger servos might be a solution if there are inadequate torque issues?

Comments / ideas welcome...

If you do come up with what we need to mount the newer GoPros onto the gimbals I would gladly be a customer. I have about three Solos now not working that I also would love someone to fix. They each have glitches even though two of them are straight out of the box new.

I was thinking of attaching a GoPro HERO-7 (probably mounted upside-down using Velcro & rubber bands) to the underside of the Solo gimbal while using the installed HERO-4 as a flight camera. Then either use WiFi to control the -7 camera or just capture the whole flight.

"If this works" it would bypass a lot of hackery. If properly aligned, the flight cam should be good enough for framing for the hero-7. Obviously landing gear leg extensions would be required for clearance. The only downside I can think of would be the weight penalty of carrying two relatively heavy cameras.

I know the Solo's gimbal stepper motors aren't very strong, but if properly balanced it might just work. The assembly would be bottom-heavy, perhaps some top weights to compensate? Or maybe some stronger servos might be a solution if there are inadequate torque issues?

Comments / ideas welcome...
You may already know this but the Solo Gimbal is driven by Brushless Motors, not servos. Properly counterbalancing [and just plain balancing] your gimbal will be the best thing to do. The stock motors *should* be able to easily handle a properly balanced gimbal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela