52 MPH in Sport Mode

Reaction score
Tried Sport Mode today. I hit 52 MPH. Pretty scary though because the bird dives at almost the same rate that it goes forward. Went from 300 ft altitude to about 100 ft altitude in what felt like just a few seconds. The forward pitch angle is insane.

Tried Sport Mode today. I hit 52 MPH. Pretty scary though because the bird dives at almost the same rate that it goes forward. Went from 300 ft altitude to about 100 ft altitude in what felt like just a few seconds. The forward pitch angle is insane.

Pretty Brave Soul, LOLs! A fella needs goggles for a Solo race quad. :D

Reactions: hardhat068
Height is derived from Barometer & it's not reading pressur correctly do to added force from wind? Something like that......It's been a probelm since inception. Barometer error

The Sport mode disables barometer for altitude hold plus the GPS so you are in manual mode. You will be constantly using both sticks to
control your altitude and direction. Best to practice with a cheap toy quad you don't want to crash a Solo!

Here are several flight modes available:

Manual
Fly:Manual mode is a version of standard flight without GPS lock. In Fly:Manual, the throttle stick controls altitude the same way as standard flight (Fly mode). However, Fly:Manual includes no GPS positioning so that, when you release the right stick, Solo will not hold its position; it will drift according to wind conditions and existing momentum. When flying in Fly:Manual, make constant adjustment to the right stick to control Solo’s position and use the left stick to maintain Solo’s orientation.

Stabilize
Stabilize mode provides full manual control without autopilot assistance. In stabilize, the autopilot regulates Solo’s roll and pitch angles so that Solo returns to level when you release the right stick. The throttle stick controls power and acceleration directly; it does not correspond to altitude. Stabilize requires fine-tuned control of both the left and right sticks to fly Solo. Stabilize does not require GPS lock.

Drift
Drift modes requires GPS lock and provides a plane-like flying experience. Drift is ideal for navigating Solo using the video feed. This is known as first-person view (FPV) and provides an immersive flying experience. In drift, Solo combines roll, pitch, and yaw onto the controller’s right stick. To navigate Solo in drift, move the right stick to initiate a coordinated turn in that direction. Releasing the right stick will cause Solo to drift to a stop over a two-second period. Solo does not automatically control altitude in drift, and will require constant adjustments to the throttle stick when flying in drift.

Acro
Acro is the most advanced of Solo’s flight modes. It provides unrestricted control over Solo’s roll and pitch angles. Acro is intended for performing aerial acrobatics, flips, and maneuvers requiring extreme angles. There is no altitude or position assistance in acro, so be prepared to make constant adjustment to both sticks. Acro is a copter-frame oriented mode, meaning that, in acro, Solo will always respond to controls relative to its own orientation. Acro does not require GPS lock.
Advanced flight modes are for experienced operators only. Do not attempt to fly in any advanced modes unless you are comfortable flying multicopters without positioning and altitude assistance.
Do not fly in acro unless you are an extremely experienced operator. Without the proper skills, crashes in acro are highly likely.

Sport
Sport mode in a modified version of acro that includes altitude assistance and earth-frame orientation. With altitude assistance, the throttle stick behaves the same in sport as it does in standard flight (Fly mode). Earth-frame orientation differs from copter-frame orientation in that the direction of yaw rotation is in relation to the earth instead of in relation to the copter itself. For example, if Solo is pitched forward in sport mode and left yaw is applied, Solo will maintain the same pitch angle and rotate around the vertical axis. As opposed to in acro’s copter-frame orientation, in which, in the same situation, Solo will perform a cartwheel. Sport does not require GPS lock.​

The Sport mode disables barometer for altitude hold plus the GPS so you are in manual mode. You will be constantly using both sticks to
control your altitude and direction. Best to practice with a cheap toy quad you don't want to crash a Solo!
How does it hold altitude then? Altitude hold is one of the differences between Sport and Acro. Acro does not have altitude hold, but Sport does. I've flown in Sport mode and can confirm that it does hold altitude.

Doesn't matter if you have altitude hold or not, at 50 mph the thrust angle and aerodynamic forces on Solo cause it to dive.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How does it hold altitude then? Altitude hold is one of the differences between Sport and Acro. Acro does not have altitude hold, but Sport does. I've flown in Sport mode and can confirm that it does hold altitude.
I wouldn't trust it to hold altitude with a high pitch angle and you should run at a good altitude and watch it closely since GPS isn't being used in this mode.
I ran my X380 which has GPS and altitude hold on, all of the time and when I went to full throttle the quad would go into a high pitch and then drop a little
in altitude. You can hear the motors wind up to max and then taper off and the quad would level off even with the throttle still forward. I suspect the GPS
had a lot to do with how it performed since the quad has FltCtrl software that a fella can set parameters with. If I was to do that at a low altitude it would
crash. I suspect barometric pressure with high wind and the steep pitch angle has a big influence on the flight. The Bugs 3 will fly faster but you better be
on the sticks!

The fact is that "Altitude Hold" is not lost when you are in Sport mode - the barometer is in fact still used when in Sport mode. The statement made previously in this post "The Sport mode disables barometer for altitude hold" is not true.

It is true that when running Solo at or near max speed, altitude can be lost - this can happen in any flight mode - even in Fly mode. This has been discussed a number of times already in this forum - with a stock Solo speed is not automatically slowed to allow altitude to be maintained.

The significant differences in this mode over Fly:Manual are that the Solo will fly faster and the Solo will hold the roll and pitch angles that you put it in even if you allow the stick to self-center. You must level the Solo yourself with stick movements. The autopilot does not regulate Solo’s roll and pitch angles so Solo will not automatically return to level. The roll and pitch angles are still limited, so even though it will reach steep angles it will not flip or roll (at least I haven't done it yet).

Some day I'll get the nerve to try Acro - I'll probably do it without gimbal or camera though.

Last edited:
When the Solo was at full speed and losing altitude, I could not ascend at all using the left stick while at full throttle.

The top speed is remarkable, but flying in Sport mode definitely has risks.

Some day I'll get the nerve to try Acro - I'll probably do it without gimbal or camera though.

Learning to fly Acro:
  • Buy extra props
  • Remove gimbal
  • Fly Acro
  • Replace broken props
  • Reinstall gimbal
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: xman4242
Is it possible to increase the speed without losing any of the precautionary fail-safes that are in place during standard operation?

When the Solo was at full speed and losing altitude, I could not ascend at all using the left stick while at full throttle.

The top speed is remarkable, but flying in Sport mode definitely has risks.
I have been flying Quadcopters since 2009. The speed and loss of altitude is due to the pitch angle of the quadcopter..the speed is achieved from the pitch angle... so with rates turned up all the way most r/c pilots know when to give full throttle forward and when to back off the gain altitude again as seen here.

This is expected.. Also when I fly r/c planes how do you think I achieve max speed ? It's with a power dive.

Reactions: jmckanna
I hit 68mph on a windy day, flying manual mode with solo going sideways with the wind..very little alt drop..

The fact is that "Altitude Hold" is not lost when you are in Sport mode - the barometer is in fact still used when in Sport mode. The statement made previously in this post "The Sport mode disables barometer for altitude hold" is not true.

It is true that when running Solo at or near max speed, altitude can be lost - this can happen in any flight mode - even in Fly mode. This has been discussed a number of times already in this forum - with a stock Solo speed is not automatically slowed to allow altitude to be maintained.

The significant differences in this mode over Fly:Manual are that the Solo will fly faster and the Solo will hold the roll and pitch angles that you put it in even if you allow the stick to self-center. You must level the Solo yourself with stick movements. The autopilot does not regulate Solo’s roll and pitch angles so Solo will not automatically return to level. The roll and pitch angles are still limited, so even though it will reach steep angles it will not flip or roll (at least I haven't done it yet).

I might add, a new backup Solo too! :)

This thread is very misleading. The Solo will not go any faster in Sport than it will in manual. And the altitude hold works just the same in sport as it does in manual. Sport mode is angle rate control for pitch and roll. meaning the right stick controls the rate at which the angle changes rather than the angle itself. Center stick means no change in angle rather than level. So when you let go of the stick, it will hold it's attitude (angles) rather than automatically leveling. Other than that, it is no different than manual. It will hold altitude to the best of it's ability. But if you go to fast, altitude will decay, just like it does in manual. If you have the sliders set for full turtle, you can easily get to that point. With the sliders set for low to medium, it won't.

To get maximum speed I used Mission Planner to set max angle to 4500(45 degrees); I think stock was somewhere around 30. I got more speed with the higher max angle but at about 45-50 mph Solo starts to dive so more angle doesn't help. While waiting for my gimbal I got bored and thought about shimming Solo's motor pods to rotate them forward decreasing the body drag at speed. The top of Solo's battery is flat as a dinner table and at high angle and speeds must be causing down force. But then I said what was the point, my Solo was fast enough.

Altitude will start to decay gradually around 30-35 degrees. Which coincidentally is around 30-35mph ground speed with no wind. at 40-45 (degrees and mph coincidentally) that altitude decay will be extreme as you found. The maximum angle changes with the turtle/rabbit slider. Full rabbit I think is 35 degrees or something close to that.

Altitude will start to decay gradually around 30-35 degrees. Which coincidentally is around 30-35mph ground speed with no wind. at 40-45 (degrees and mph coincidentally) that altitude decay will be extreme as you found. The maximum angle changes with the turtle/rabbit slider. Full rabbit I think is 35 degrees or something close to that.

I bumped up my settings to the 3/4 on the slider and have had no drastic changes flying with the gimbal and camera checking the time going out
to 1 km looked like a 90 seconds and this is with stock flight mode. I am assuming it is running around 30 mph +? Look fast on the video and
it holds the altitude. Dash out there and fly around taking video then scurry back!:) I am certain that the X380 can't match the Solo's speed
when doing this. The only gripe I got about my setup is, the Nexus 7 2013 needs a sunshield otherwise FPV/video looks good on this camera
bird and the gimbal is impressive! Happy flying! :D

The app shows you the speed in the top left across the bar with other data. No need to guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso