3DR Tower missing "Survey"

yes, it seemed like it was working well for a few versions, then wtih the latest update it no longer auto triggers the gopro anymore. I've never seen the images automatically geotagged, this is somethign that has to be done afterward and can be a very difficult process - especially if you lose connection wtih the base station during flight and need to get the datalogs files of the pixhawk 2 (which can require opening up the solo to connect directly via usb if the files are large for downloading). arggg...i was totally bummed when they broke tower with this recent update. at one point, survey stopped working entirely, but was fixed, but still not fully functional...now i just use a 1 second timer on the gopro again as I did a year ago.

I have to wonder if this has something to do with 3DR's enterprise focus and Site Scan ... why pay $3500 per year for Site Scan when one can use Tower for surveying and geotagging images ... hmm

Reactions: peppys
yeah, it happened during the exact same update / release period. somehow during making site scan work they broke tower survey functionality. wonder if they will fix it soon or are even aware of it not currently working.

Any thoughts on a work around?

My plan is to set GoPro to time lapse, fly the survey, download the log and then use Pix4d to process ... This is a lot like work :)

i'm just waiting for them to fix tower, assuming they are aware it broke. but even fixed, it only removes the time lapse part, the rest you still need to do. if you're surveys are within range fo the ground station geotagging is easier as you can use the .tlog recorded by tower or mission planner.

Trigger function is supposed to be fixed in the next update. Also, a couple updates back they moved the .bin files and they can now be downloaded by just SSH into the Solo and going to the Logs directory. Much easier now.

Reactions: peppys
Just noticed few days ago it is not auto triggering for me as well :( Really sucks...
So I guess the workaround is setting up timelapse? What about the mod from the video posted earlier in the thread (@Jubalr posted link to youtube). Will that work?

Thanks guys. Great info here :)

I don't know if "Jaime Machuca" is on these boards, but here's a temporary fix for the camera not automatically triggering. This was posted by Jaime on the Facebook Solo Mod Club Group:

"Hi guys, so since its taking a while for 3DR to release the fix for the GoPro trigger for surveys, here is the fix for it. Just replace the file in the Solo /usr/bin/shotmanager.py with this file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xorhxzkeh894kll/shotManager.py…

---Remember when a firmware upgrade comes you will have to either replace this file with the original one (so remember to back up before changing it), or do a factory reset before upgrading to the new firmware, otherwise it will not upgrade correctly---"

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-10_21-32-7.gif
    upload_2016-4-10_21-32-7.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: perkele and peppys
BTW - 3DR is aware of the problem. They state it will be fixed in the next Solo Firmware update.

I don't know if "Jaime Machuca" is on these boards, but here's a temporary fix for the camera not automatically triggering. This was posted by Jaime on the Facebook Solo Mod Club Group:

"Hi guys, so since its taking a while for 3DR to release the fix for the GoPro trigger for surveys, here is the fix for it. Just replace the file in the Solo /usr/bin/shotmanager.py with this file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xorhxzkeh894kll/shotManager.py…

---Remember when a firmware upgrade comes you will have to either replace this file with the original one (so remember to back up before changing it), or do a factory reset before upgrading to the new firmware, otherwise it will not upgrade correctly---"

There is a shotmanager.pyc in /usr/bin too. Am I supposed to compile the shotmanager.py from Dropbox and copy the new compiled shotmanager.pyc to Solo /usr/bin/ too? In other words. Do I have to copy two files to /usr/bin ?

Thanks!

It looks like the file was compiled by Solo. I think I will take it out for a mission. To be continued...

I think you already discovered - just copy the shotmanager.py file to the usr/bin folder on the Solo. That's all that is required to get auto camera triggering to work again. Be sure to copy (backup) the original shotmanager.py file. It'll be required to restore this original file before updating to a new firmware, when it comes out.

Reactions: perkele
At last I have managed to do a survey! Thanks LarryF and Jaime Machuca! Yes, I saved the old file for later use. Thanks once again.

Just remember when 3DR comes out with an update (one is expected within a week or so, and it includes this fix), you will have to revert your changed file back to the original BEFORE updating or it won't update as the MD5 checksums no longer match. You can also perform a factory reset (but be aware that would wipe out anything like saved MPCC you might have).

Wow, so let me understand this. Someone created a new phython script to trigger the camera and then 3DR fixes it in an update so the script wasn't necessary anymore. Then 3DR breaks that functionality in a different update so we need to re-use the script? Has anyone with the latests updates tested this with the shotmanager.py file in place? I was just about to perform a survey mission after much confusion reading this forum and diydrones.

Wow, so let me understand this. Someone created a new phython script to trigger the camera and then 3DR fixes it in an update so the script wasn't necessary anymore. Then 3DR breaks that functionality in a different update so we need to re-use the script? Has anyone with the latests updates tested this with the shotmanager.py file in place? I was just about to perform a survey mission after much confusion reading this forum and diydrones.
I have all the updates and use the shotmanger modified script. Works great.

Does anyone know if the new shotmanager.py in firmware 2.3.0 is identical to Jamies shotmanager.py? Asking for a friend:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo