3DR Tower missing "Survey"

Reaction score
I ran a few surveys a couple of weeks ago. Now it looks like the survey option is gone. It's still there in Droid Planner but missing in Tower. Anybody else missing it?

Its still there for me. You have to change to the Survey toolset, then from the dropdown list either normal or spline survey.

I ran a few surveys a couple of weeks ago. Now it looks like the survey option is gone. It's still there in Droid Planner but missing in Tower. Anybody else missing it?
It's moved around some in the last year but it is still there. Tap the squiggly line for spline then you will have a drop down menu to the right where you can select mission.

By the way; I flew a mission yesterday with the new mod for triggering the GoPro and it worked great! I set up the survey as usual then went in and selected the GoPro model. I put the GP in regular photo mode and it started taking pictures about 5 sec before it got to the first waypoint and continued through the mission then stopped.

Reactions: nexxypoo and Maddog
It's moved around some in the last year but it is still there. Tap the squiggly line for spline then you will have a drop down menu to the right where you can select mission.

By the way; I flew a mission yesterday with the new mod for triggering the GoPro and it worked great! I set up the survey as usual then went in and selected the GoPro model. I put the GP in regular photo mode and it started taking pictures about 5 sec before it got to the first waypoint and continued through the mission then stopped.
That is excellent news!
I hope my RMA'd solo has the vid feed issue working. Desperate to try this.

I'm not having any luck with the auto- firing of the gopro.
I have a survey mission set up. I set it for Gopro Hero 4 Wide (my camera). I upload the mission, and then download it to ensure all is good.On the download, a Camera Trigger has been added, with 8m interval. I set my Gopro to single shot mode.
But when I fly the mission, it does not start shooting. What am I missing jub?

Jubalr can I ask what your setup is re: the Gopro?
H3 or H4? Plus? Black/Silver/Indigo-with-orange-spots?
Do you remember the image resolution settings?
I have been out all day trying to troubleshoot this. It would be lovely to have as a feature.
neX:)

Jubalr can I ask what your setup is re: the Gopro?
H3 or H4? Plus? Black/Silver/Indigo-with-orange-spots?
Do you remember the image resolution settings?
I have been out all day trying to troubleshoot this. It would be lovely to have as a feature.
Did you add the modded file to the Solo? You have to replace a file with a modified version. You can see the instructions here..Log into Facebook | Facebook

Did you add the modded file to the Solo? You have to replace a file with a modified version. You can see the instructions here..Log into Facebook | Facebook
No I haven't. I happily have never registered with FB. Hoping to keep that going. Any chance you could give me some background? Maybe there's info somewhere else I can find. What sort of file is it? I'm also having issues getting Tower to accept new camera configs in the .xml file, maybe its related to that.

Here is the post..

Jaime Machuca uploaded a file.
October 9 at 11:34pm
I am using Solo now for mapping. The main complain, no triggering of the camera for auto missions. So I solved that. This mod will trigger the GoPro to take pictures when the pixhawk sends a camera trigger command. This means that missions created in Tower or Mission Planner that insert a MAV_CMD_DO_SET_CAM_TRIGG_DIST command will now trigger the camera at the desired distance. Also MAV_CMD_DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL should trigger the camera.

Another complaint was how hard it was to geotag the images. This mod also stores a new log file under /log/geoRefXX.log with the positions Lat, Lon, MSL Alt, Vehicle Pitch, Vehicle Roll, Vehicle Yaw, Mount Pitch, Mount Roll, Mount Yaw and only when the GoPro confirms that an image was actually captured.

This is a step towards making survey missions easy on the Solo but its not complete. Still needs a bit of clean up, but it works for now.
to use this filev just replace the file in the Solo under /usr/bin/shotManager.py

Change the extender of this file from pdf to py

Attachments

• shotManager.pdf
    30.3 KB · Views: 87
So I'm having trouble getting my head around using PuTtY to copy/move files around on the solo. Anyone got a good link to a tute?

This was for another mod. But the instructions to log into the Solo should still apply. Just don't apy any attention to the file they are changing. You just need to copy the file where stated in the instructions above..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This was for another mod. But the instructions to log into the Solo should still apply. Just don't apy any attention to the file they are changing. You just need to copy the file where stated in the instructions above..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks matey!
Funny how each step throws up a new question.... am I meant to be adding this new file to the controller, or the solo, or both? Confused (again).

Last edited:
Here is the post..

Jaime Machuca uploaded a file.
October 9 at 11:34pm
I am using Solo now for mapping. The main complain, no triggering of the camera for auto missions. So I solved that. This mod will trigger the GoPro to take pictures when the pixhawk sends a camera trigger command. This means that missions created in Tower or Mission Planner that insert a MAV_CMD_DO_SET_CAM_TRIGG_DIST command will now trigger the camera at the desired distance. Also MAV_CMD_DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL should trigger the camera.

Another complaint was how hard it was to geotag the images. This mod also stores a new log file under /log/geoRefXX.log with the positions Lat, Lon, MSL Alt, Vehicle Pitch, Vehicle Roll, Vehicle Yaw, Mount Pitch, Mount Roll, Mount Yaw and only when the GoPro confirms that an image was actually captured.

This is a step towards making survey missions easy on the Solo but its not complete. Still needs a bit of clean up, but it works for now.
to use this filev just replace the file in the Solo under /usr/bin/shotManager.py

Change the extender of this file from pdf to py

Hi Jaime, Is this modification still working with the latest tower and solo updates? Or have you figured out a different way to geotag your photos? I'm struggling to figure it out. Thanks! Eben

Hi Jaime, Is this modification still working with the latest tower and solo updates? Or have you figured out a different way to geotag your photos? I'm struggling to figure it out. Thanks! Eben
I don't believe that Jaime is on this forum. That was a repost from the Solo Mod facebook group. I also believe that his modification is now included in the 1.3 update and no longer needed.

Hi Jubalr,
That would be great if it was included now in the update. I believe I read it did something different with the dataflash. However, after spending a few hours last night downloading and looking through logs I'm still not able to geotag my photos. Do you have any updated insights into which logs to use to best link them up? I'm trying for something more precise than the tlog time offset in mission planner.
Thanks! Eben

To geo-tag your photos there are a few simple steps:
1. Use the gopro app to sync the camera's time with the device that is running Tower. So have the gopro app on the same device.
2. Fly your mission, ensuring you use the same device that you sync'd the camera with. This way, your photos will have exif time data in sync with the .tlog from the device.
3. Load up MP, and hit ctrl+f . that will bring up the option to georef (same as geotag) your images.
4. In the georef screen, load up your .tlog, specify your folder with the images, set the Time offset to 0, and pre-process.
5. If you did step 1 right, all should be good and you can then hit "GeoTag Images".
6. MP will make a new folder with the geotagged images. Voila!
7. Make yourself a Gin and Tonic, you did well.

Note: I have had issues when running the gopro without the battery (ie powered only by solo), it appears to set the timestamp back to 1 Jan 2014 :(

Dear Nexxypoo, Thank you! Actually, I thought I understood this all but just learned something new in your post. I have basically done that, but have synced time from my iPhone, then used tower to fly the mission, but then geotagged my images to the tlog ftp downloaded from the controller 10.1.1.1. What I realized, is that the tlogs in tower on the android device must have a different time setting (local?) than those in the solo (UTC GPS time, no leap seconds)? Perhaps this partly explains my challenges in geotagging my imagery to the Solo tlogs. The reason I need to do this, versus just using the simplier tower tlog (which based on your comment seems easy and straights forward) is that I routinely lose connection between the Solo and the tower device during flights (in spite of a FTPVLR antenna, which I'm not sure has given me any additional range actually) so the tower tlog does not have most of my photos in its partial tlog. Anyways, if this is something you can also help out with would be useful, or otherwise I will keep searching :) Thanks!

How do you select or indicate to tower which camera you're using?

I flew a survey today - Solo flew the waypoints perfectly, however no pictures were taken. I had some 30 waypoints.

I attempted a second survey and manually triggered the camera in the Tower video feed ... I got pictures but none were geotagged

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela