3DR Solo Gimbal

placed an order as well. A backup can never hurt
Let us know how it works out. I just realized that other seller is "AZ Bussines World." Suspicious that they didn't spell business correctly. LOL! Anyway.......who cares as long as they come through with the gimbal!

Reactions: thevicster
Guys, don't 4 get that solo was sold well under manufacturing costs at the end because the company had miscalculated the christmas season demand and sold far to few end of 2015-2016 leaving to my knowledge to 40000-60000 unsold units waiting for distribution. The unfortunate bancrupcy of the company led to ridiculous cheap solos flooding the marked in an attempt to salvage any money to the disappointed financers. The developer of a good functioning gimbal is anything but trivial and the company felt that by not being able to deliver them timely with the first release of the drone. Anyone who was able to grab a gimbal below 99$ may consider him/her-selve lucky! In Europe the regular price for replacement was 249€!
The ambitious promise, to replace any drone that was not destroyed by accident or willfully at no cost broke the company its neck if U ask me! I had an engine failure after solo flipped in a somewhat windy conditions in a lava field in iceland and after sending in the log files received a new one. 3 Month later, while flying over a creek , my starting point in the cable car smart shot was about 4 meters above the waterline and coming back it ended up in the water > send it in , got a replacement unit! Consumers do make mistakes, drones crash fast , especially powerful once like Solo and inexperience makes you dare flightpaths that an experienced user either doesn't select, or only doe so under special precautions! So in my opinion the " makes price" of the gimbal is justified, The biggest worry I carry is, the unavailability of the gimbals, I fear their production will be stopped, thereby bricking your solos for ever. ILOVE my SOLO

When the 3 axis gimbal came out 2 year's ago it sold for $450 now since the supply is drying up its rising in price.
It's called capitalism....Merica

Maybe after a lifetime of being on the wrong end of this supply & demand situation I might actually be able to recoup a small fraction of the $1K+ I spent for the original Solo given I have a box full of gimbals, batteries, & props remaining from purchases made each time I thought the pricing bottom had been reached. Such as the time I jumped at the "amazing" package price of $599. Who knew...

Just did inventory, I have 7 gimbals...and 3 birds. Timzee, it's called cost averaging, I did the same as you...I try not thinking about it the $300 deals, but loved the $50 gimbals when they were here.

If you are in California read about the Lemon Law (aka Song - Beverly) it covers electronic equipment also. They must have parts for 7 years. As I understand it Solo according to Forbes is stepping entirely away from the Hobby Drone Market. They are not making this gimbals which equals no spare parts. The reason for the price drop was dumped inventory now it is gouging based on supply and demand, for a part the consumer will not be able to get as they are not making it anymore. I wrote to 3DR help for advise, as all functions of my gimbal work but the ability to see the visual display feed from the camera. All other functions showed up on my screen. They diagnosed the problem within the gimbal and sent me to their approved repair facility who told me they have no part or gimbals. So I have a thousand dollar flying brick. I was one of the first to buy the Solo and gimbal so I paid the very tip top premium after all the waiting and time over runs. Only to have the drone replaced once for almost the same problem, no ability to see the video feed.

Frankly I am surprised that good and decent companies like B&H are playing this game with 3DR. If they are not going to make parts to fix the drones, then how in good faith can any retailer sell them knowing the warranty is not going to be honored? I have hear from Forbes the CEO has said they are out of this market. Thus logic point to they are not making replacements for the failed parts or replacement of the item they sold. Again I will state they sent me to their "official repair" facility and no parts or Gimbals. What happened to integrity in business?

I have a feeling that some attorney is going to bring 3DR to task soon. We should all write to the major resellers and explain our frustration with the product and marketing techniques.

Look to China's domination in the electronic production. There is where it went, the consumer choose option B and these are the results....
China wasn't option B.. 3DR was option B.. DJI already had a huge chunk of the market so when another company trys to break in it is very hard too. Unless you have the best option for the money and no issues or delays then you can be a force in the market. Unfortunately 3DR was plagued with issues and delays it hurt them.

China wasn't option B.. 3DR was option B.. DJI already had a huge chunk of the market so when another company trys to break in it is very hard too. Unless you have the best option for the money and no issues or delays then you can be a force in the market. Unfortunately 3DR was plagued with issues and delays it hurt them.

I think the 3DR conversation is much more complex than a traditional product to market. I hear what you are saying, as do others, but my take is from a alternative perspective. Discussing further is futile without full disclosure from all parties involved in the endeavor.

I'm assuming you are based in USA. The optionB is in reference to people buying on the cheap directly from china. Again, which I fully understand and accept. But then we will a reap what we have sewn. Which bears a portion of why Solo fizzled. The perception that domestic providers have lost their way is incorrect, it is just that the market has forced the bar lower in order to delay the inevitable...

I've fallen into this conversation before and it didn't end well with the younger crowd. So I'll keep my opinions to myself and support what is Solo at present and what remains into the future. Warranty will end sooner rather than later with Solo. I've offered up two gimbal saving solutions, replacing the hdmi connector and straighten the gimbal arm. I'd hope that gives me some privilege to an open opinion about the gimbal. You being five days in to the forum, not so much... Peace.

I think the 3DR conversation is much more complex than a traditional product to market. I hear what you are saying, as do others, but my take is from a alternative perspective. Discussing further is futile without full disclosure from all parties involved in the endeavor.

I'm assuming you are based in USA. The optionB is in reference to people buying on the cheap directly from china. Again, which I fully understand and accept. But then we will a reap what we have sewn. Which bears a portion of why Solo fizzled. The perception that domestic providers have lost their way is incorrect, it is just that the market has forced the bar lower in order to delay the inevitable...

I've fallen into this conversation before and it didn't end well with the younger crowd. So I'll keep my opinions to myself and support what is Solo at present and what remains into the future. Warranty will end sooner rather than later with Solo. I've offered up two gimbal saving solutions, replacing the hdmi connector and straighten the gimbal arm. I'd hope that gives me some privilege to an open opinion about the gimbal. You being five days in to the forum, not so much... Peace.
What also hurt 3DR was the market they were targeting. If they stayed in the hobbyist realm they would have been in better shape than now.
Too many newbies failing to understand what a wide open field is. Also the hobbyist crowd would have been more patient waiting for the gimbal.

Also if the gps didn't cut it in the location we live in then we would upgrade it ourselves.

You guys are a diaster. The Solo cost $700 to manufacture. Thousands were sold for $1500++. Tens of thousands were sold for <$300. (90,000 were manufactured) The gimbal is the first thing to the wreak. Considering that the liquidated Solos were probably bought as toys chances are very good that thousands of gimbals were destroyed by thrill seekers that didn't have a clue. The birds are still being blown out and so there are way more birds out there than gimbals. What you call gouging is capitalism at it's finest. It's known as Suppy and Demand. Many of us saw the handwriting on the wall and stocked up. I have two gimbal equipped Solos and two more gimbals in the box (@$35 a pop) for that unforseen tragedy. Got some spare motor pods, batteries, props, and a Shell kit to boot. That's called covering your ass.

Reactions: cnc74 and RichWest
I wasn't saying that you are not in titled to your opinion but was just stating what I feel happened with the market and the Solo. Yes I agree that we in the US like to buy the cheaper product and have now become a society that just replaced with cheap things rather than fix them.

Also I thank you for your contribution to the community in helping forum members with there Solo's. But I didn't know that my number of days as a member does not allow me to make an opinion.

But I didn't know that my number of days as a member does not allow me to make an opinion.
My apology, you caught me on a bad day and the comment kind of set me off... You'd understand how offensive the bashing talk becomes after hearing two years of it... I appreciate you expressing your opinions...enjoy what the forum has to offer, help out when you can. Peace.

Reactions: DJMc
Let us know how it works out. I just realized that other seller is "AZ Bussines World." Suspicious that they didn't spell business correctly. LOL! Anyway.......who cares as long as they come through with the gimbal!
So to update this, I got an email from Walmart yesterday that they were refunding my money. No real explanation other than wrong product. I'm suspicious that the shipper realized the product was underpriced and kiboshed the deal.

In any event, I've got to call them because the email said I'd be refunded "within 2 billing cycles". I'm not waiting two months to get my money back, if I learn anything more about why the order was cancelled I'll update

If any of you guys are looking for those Hot Cakes (Gimbals), Amazon has them for about $130 as i was cruising through tonight.

Hey Rich can you point me to these hdmi cables your speaking of ? I've got a Solo incoming and I wanna preserve the gimbal as much as possible from the start.
Thank you and best regards,
Richard

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela