3DR Solo Flyaway

I was thinking the same thing- it's just a dot that high!
When I was learning rc fixed wing, all those years ago, whilst dodging dinosaurs, I was told always stay "2 mistakes" from the ground, and that has stuck with me forever.

The GPS failure is the biggest flyaway issue. I've seen on several occasions in normal fly the bird start to drift for no apparent reason. Then shortly after the controller would inform me that I'm now in fly manual mode, and after usually less than a minute it would return to normal fly mode. When I review video during an incident like this I see the gimbal also loses it's sense of direction and the footage is rolling. I've learned as soon as I notice an unexplained drift immediately up is best, then dodge as necessary.
I think this sort of issue has been costing 3DR a lot in free replacements. I think that's also why they removed the flight telemetry log retrieval from the app a couple updates ago, because the logs invariably pointed to a lousy GPS receiver, and it was too easy for the user to lay blame where it belongs.

I just had a fly away on Dec 15th. Hadn't flown in a week or so and wanted to get some flight time. Flying near my house in the San Antonio at night. Had flown much farther away in the same direction before. About 125 ft high in standard mode. Suddenly my controller shook and said GPS LOST, FLY MANUAL. It was in line if site with 3-4 bars connected with 54% battery life. I started to bring it home about 3-5 seconds later it suddenly went west at full speed! Pushed fly home over and over and nothing. It flew out of site.
I immediately sent 3dr a trouble ticket from the controller right then and there. They came back a few days later and said the log I sent was a successful flight and attached a PDF showing me how to download all the flights. Had to call them to figure it out. Yesterday they confirmed they had all the logs and would get back to me. No answer yet. It flew off with everything! Gimbal and GoPro Black. We'll see. I bought Solo because I'm new to all this and wanted the garuntee.

I immediately sent 3dr a trouble ticket from the controller right then and there. They came back a few days later and said the log I sent was a successful flight and attached a PDF showing me how to download all the flights. Had to call them to figure it out. Yesterday they confirmed they had all the logs and would get back to me.
Let us know what 3DR says.

I just had a fly away on Dec 15th. Hadn't flown in a week or so and wanted to get some flight time. Flying near my house in the San Antonio at night. Had flown much farther away in the same direction before. About 125 ft high in standard mode. Suddenly my controller shook and said GPS LOST, FLY MANUAL. It was in line if site with 3-4 bars connected with 54% battery life. I started to bring it home about 3-5 seconds later it suddenly went west at full speed! Pushed fly home over and over and nothing. It flew out of site.
I immediately sent 3dr a trouble ticket from the controller right then and there. They came back a few days later and said the log I sent was a successful flight and attached a PDF showing me how to download all the flights. Had to call them to figure it out. Yesterday they confirmed they had all the logs and would get back to me. No answer yet. It flew off with everything! Gimbal and GoPro Black. We'll see. I bought Solo because I'm new to all this and wanted the garuntee.

"They had all the logs" is the key phrase there. It used to be you could mail yourself the flight log right from the app.
There are a lot of reasons this could be good, if for instance you're in the field and want to change batteries and fly again, perhaps you're testing something, in any case you want to save that log before you go fly again.
I've got a support ticket on this issue still open languishing in the 3DR, They tried to tell me you can download the last twenty flights if you connect to it wirelessly from your PC. Which is all fine and dandy if you have a pc with a wireless connection, which one isn't always available in the field, nor if you are traveling.
There's more that could and should be done on this, like being able to call up the last know position on the satellite map after signal is lost.
All that aside, they're your flight logs, you should have access to them from the app.

This is why we should always program A (or B) button to Fly:Manual (and practice to fly in this mode). In case of GPS/Flyaway accident it will be possible to switch to Manual (no-GPS) mode in no time and bird will stop, keep altitude and drift with the wind. After that: just bring it home.

Sound like a auto return-home attempt.
You know, I'm not sure, but I think that Solo does return home even if in manual on low battery or signal loss as long as gps lock was there at takeoff.
This happened to me last week. I was flying in manual mode in an Australian rainforest, under the canopy, when it did a return home (I don't know why it did- maybe it lost controller signal momentarily). It took off, and VERY nearly hit the canopy. I hit pause just in time, and got it back into manual without a mishap.
I also have manual on my "A" button as do many others.

Hey Guys, I'm hoping you can provide some assistance for me. On friday I experienced a fly away with the solo, took off to about 830 feet and the wind did the rest, return home and land buttons were doing nothing, it seemed to land somewhere about a mile from my property, all I have is my line of site on the descent. Anyway I was wondering if I can retrieve flight logs from the transmitter? I did not have the app open at the time of flight, just the transmitter and the solo flying around. Please help me out and let me know what I can do to retrieve those logs, will the app still have them once I turn it on? or does it need to be on during flight. Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Hey Guys, I'm hoping you can provide some assistance for me. On friday I experienced a fly away with the solo, took off to about 830 feet and the wind did the rest, return home and land buttons were doing nothing, it seemed to land somewhere about a mile from my property, all I have is my line of site on the descent. Anyway I was wondering if I can retrieve flight logs from the transmitter? I did not have the app open at the time of flight, just the transmitter and the solo flying around. Please help me out and let me know what I can do to retrieve those logs, will the app still have them once I turn it on? or does it need to be on during flight. Thanks! Any help is appreciated.
Logs are on the controller. You'll be able to speak to 3DR via live chat on their website if you need help.

This is the procedure to download logs:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey Guys, I'm hoping you can provide some assistance for me. On friday I experienced a fly away with the solo, took off to about 830 feet and the wind did the rest...
830 feet? Is that a typo? Where are you located? Did you mean 830 feet away from you?

No, reported altitude on the transmitter read 830 feet
Was it a tiny little speck in the sky when looking at it? Where were you flying - not only what terrain type - but where geographically in the world? Above 400' is normally illegal and I thought the controller vibrated and gave feedback at 200' AGL to give you an advanced warning about altitude. Remember, these things have to be in VLOS (Visual Line of Sight). And you should open the App when flying to refer to the map and also get telemetry.

Per Ian's post above, you will have logs on your controller. Did you file a ticket with 3DR? Can't say I know how that works without the App being on and connected but get the logs and go from there.

ETA: If you post the logs here, folks can help you with them. I'd love to see an analysis.

Reactions: fpvsteve
Was it a tiny little speck in the sky when looking at it? Where were you flying - not only what terrain type - but where geographically in the world? Above 400' is normally illegal and I thought the controller vibrated and gave feedback at 200' AGL to give you an advanced warning about altitude. Remember, these things have to be in VLOS (Visual Line of Sight). And you should open the App when flying to refer to the map and also get telemetry.

Per Ian's post above, you will have logs on your controller. Did you file a ticket with 3DR? Can't say I know how that works without the App being on and connected but get the logs and go from there.

ETA: If you post the logs here, folks can help you with them. I'd love to see an analysis.

I just tried attaching the log file but it will not allow me because it is not a proper extension, how can I share it? I would love to get feedback, I have tracked down an estimated location based on the flight path, you'll notice while viewing the flight you get a TON of error messages, it seems the auto pilot completely crapped out. The flight path is all out of whack but that is not the direction it appeared to fly in, it flew in a straight line, anyway I pinpointed an estimated location on the landing, I will be checking the neighborhood today, I am sure you guys are way more experienced than me at this!

I just tried attaching the log file but it will not allow me because it is not a proper extension, how can I share it? ...I am sure you guys are way more experienced than me at this!
Tony- Sorry, I have never really had to attach a file. If the Upload a File button won't work, maybe someone here can tell you a different way. A link to a Dropbox, Google Drive or other cloud drive should work, but the only crash or issue I've had so far was a big bush that jumped up in front of me and I didn't need a log or the forum to tell me the problem. :oops:

If you can get the log attached, someone here will take a look - to their credit, they are all curious!

Also yes it was very small, the log reported a max altitude of over 600 Feet, there were no warnings issued or even if there were I had no control over the aircraft, definitely something that 3DR better take responsibility for

3DR got back to me, the accelerometers completely malfunctioned which caused it to go crazy, it climbed to an altitude way beyond 600 feet because it thought it was losing altitude the entire time, in manual mode it uses the Z value to control clime so thats why it went nuts. They are replacing it completely.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44