3DR competition

Reaction score
I'm not sure if one can even call it a competition but the Yuneec Typhoon H looks as though it's going to blow the Solo out of the water. Intel sensitivity system, 4k 360° camera, built in display on the controller with adaption options to purchase a FLIR thermal camera. Other than the FLIR option it's also easier on the wallet. With DJI chugging along slashing their prices on their Phantom series, the Inspire outselling the 3DR, Gopro stocks crashing and burning I'm left to wonder about 3DR's future....if there will be one. I know the next unit I spend my money on is probably going to be the Typhoon or the Inspire. 3DR came in hard and fast but looks like it's leaving just as fast. Even the new firmware 2.0.0 already has multiple reported bugs. Such a pitty.

take a look at the price point
it is more of a competitor to the Inspire than the solo

and not sure what you are basing your opinion on, but most people who have a clue are rocking that new firmware. People crashing with it don't understand what they are doing so far

How did I know you would be the first to comment defending with vengeance lol. $1,700 for the Typhoon. When you purchase a Solo, you have to buy a Gopro 4 which puts you over the asking price for the Typhoon. Then there's the tablet and at least one more battery. Typhoon comes with 2 batteries. Not only are people falling out of the sky with the new firmware, there's also blogs about it causing issues with the hero. My update now doesn't recognize my hero 4. Going to fly today but half the time I have to start the app, the gopro then the Solo or I get a black screen on my display. New firmware hasn't addressed this issue that many are having. Would be nice to see some upgrades from 3DR for their accesory bay instead of it being a useless plug in.

I think it's all about what you want out of your machine and what you intended to do with it before you bought it. In this fast expanding industry, you can't compare machines that have been released even six months apart anymore!

This of course, is only my opinion.

That's true Joe90 and I fully agree. The DJI phantom series the inspire and the Typhoon are all photography units. That's what they're designed around. The Solo was the only one that boasts it was technically superior to anything else on the market. With their accesory bay and open source code they claimed to stay ahead of everyone by being expandable. Not sure about you but the only thing I seen in the works for their expansion Bay was a parachute. Not to sure about you but a parachute doesn't give me much confidence in their code lol. As far as their app goes, it's hardly compatible with the Gopro so I'm not impressed in that area either. For the price of a Solo, they need to step up their game and walk the talk.

From what I remember reading, the base Typhoon H ($1799 retail) doesn't have all of the avoidance technology in it that was demoed at CES. It has some (looking forward only, IIRC). Then you'd have to buy an addon module (Intel RealSense) to get 360 avoidance technology. I haven't seen a price on the addon module, but I would guess $400+

Considering you wouldn't need a tablet or a Gopro, well worth the $400. I've heard Intel invested well over $500 million into Yuneec so it wouldn't surprise me if it has the 360 avoidance when released.

Hell....if 3DR sold an avoidance system for 400 I'd gladly buy. Take my money. But I think they should fix all their bugs first.

I'd take a parachute over an avoidance system. I can avoid objects easily enough, but there's nothing I can do when the inevitable motor or ESC goes (on any quad, not the Solo specifically).

I'm not sure I understand this "3DR is doomed because X company is releasing X product". There's always competition, and there's always things one product offers that others don't. But it goes both ways. Smart shots and 3DR's support are things that no one else offers. I don't check the other forums, but I'm guessing no one in those are making "3DR's support is awesome, Yuneec is doomed" posts.

The Intel technology is interesting, but there's nothing stopping 3DR from integrating it into Solo or a future product. And there's nothing stopping Qualcomm (who 3DR is working with) from developing something similar.

I'm also not saying 3DR's business is without risk, but that's true of anyone - look at GoPro, they were on top of the world a few years ago. Bottom line is that the Solo offered the most features applicable to my needs at the price, and I bought one. It does more today than when I took it out of the box. 3DR has took care of the one issue I had. I don't regret the purchase, regardless of what has come out since or will come out in the future.

Reactions: Chuck
I agree, 3DR's support is by far the best. They have to be with all their issues. Their support department is busier than their sales department lol.

I agree. The smart shots are getting better and are going to make what used to be hard videos to make so much easier. Not to mention the factor they will save some time making them. And I am a big 3DR customer support fan. Every call I have made to them with a problem, whether big or small, has been taken care of in a timely manner with people who seemed to care about my problems. My previous UAV was white, and every call I made to their support was like pulling teeth. The fact that other companies are coming out with better birds, cameras, and operating systems, is what business is all about. I still love the fact that my Solo won't be obsolete 6 months or a year from now. Like User Name, my Solo does more now than when I first bought it, and I feel the future is bright. Anyway, that is my $.02 worth.

I'm not sure if one can even call it a competition but the Yuneec Typhoon H looks as though it's going to blow the Solo out of the water. Intel sensitivity system, 4k 360° camera, built in display on the controller with adaption options to purchase a FLIR thermal camera. Other than the FLIR option it's also easier on the wallet. With DJI chugging along slashing their prices on their Phantom series, the Inspire outselling the 3DR, Gopro stocks crashing and burning I'm left to wonder about 3DR's future....if there will be one. I know the next unit I spend my money on is probably going to be the Typhoon or the Inspire. 3DR came in hard and fast but looks like it's leaving just as fast. Even the new firmware 2.0.0 already has multiple reported bugs. Such a pitty.
We all know you aren't happy Lance. There is a common tone in all of your posts. You remind me of someone on another forum and believe you may get much of your quotes from him. I updated last night and flew this morning. No problems, H4bk still works as always. No bugs noted and thought it flew excellent. I believe your reference "people falling out of the sky with the new firmware" was 1 person on this forum and the fault has not been determined yet.

I truly hope you find something you can be happy with, as many of us have. I'm sure something new is in your future. Good Luck With It. I have no doubt it will be phenomenal.
Jubal

So personally Im loving the new update the only pity is people still coming on the 3drpilots site to waste their breath whining or pumping up other platforms instead of contributing something useful.

Really you can always go to their site and cheerlead away, I can't believe these folks are still doing the same thing. Haven't regretted my choice with solo for a minute and I'm not going to have the aha moment that these guys are hoping for, so I guess rant away pal.

Anyway how's everybody been I'm trying to get more active here again, life got in the way for a bit and this useless topic seems a good place to say hi. Loving 2.0. Fly safe fellas

You mean to tell me that the next gen birds are going to be more advanced than this gens are. Guess it's good solo can add things on and not have to rebuy every year. Something got Djis attention cause seems you can get a phantom for about 49.95 and stick of gum here lately. Better tech and cheaper prices seem like good things to me, without solo and yuneec I promise phantom would still be pushing the same thing for 1000 plus dollars instead of cutting prices to keep newbs.

So personally Im loving the new update the only pity is people still coming on the 3drpilots site to waste their breath whining or pumping up other platforms instead of contributing something useful.

Really you can always go to their site and cheerlead away, I can't believe these folks are still doing the same thing. Haven't regretted my choice with solo for a minute and I'm not going to have the aha moment that these guys are hoping for, so I guess rant away pal.

Anyway how's everybody been I'm trying to get more active here again, life got in the way for a bit and this useless topic seems a good place to say hi. Loving 2.0. Fly safe fellas
I was wondering what happened to you. You were pretty regular then disappeared for awhile. Life getting in the way? It does me sometimes..

We all know you aren't happy Lance. There is a common tone in all of your posts. You remind me of someone on another forum and believe you may get much of your quotes from him. I updated last night and flew this morning. No problems, H4bk still works as always. No bugs noted and thought it flew excellent. I believe your reference "people falling out of the sky with the new firmware" was 1 person on this forum and the fault has not been determined yet.

I truly hope you find something you can be happy with, as many of us have. I'm sure something new is in your future. Good Luck With It. I have no doubt it will be phenomenal.
Jubal
Not sure what other forum or person you're referring to, I can promise there's a pile of us that aren't happy with 3DR's poor quality products. Besides, I don't hate the Solo, I just came back from flying the thing. Flew well but the gopro/app combination screwed up again. Oh wait, my apologies, I didn't know this forum was here just to praise 3DR like some of you do lmao. To be honest, I wish 3DR could rise to the challenges they're having and resolve the issues. And anyone that says they aren't having some huge issues is either blindfolded or they're 3DR reps trying to save the company some face. I also understand that the other birds have issues as well but I didn't buy the other guy, I bought the Solo and all I'm wanting is for the beast to fly. Don't think I'm asking too much. But hey we all don't live in lala land with pink unicorns and fluffy clouds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso