3DR CES Announcement...

Yeah, you would normally get a magnetic inteference error trying to take off from a metal surface. I wonder if the pre-arm checks were disable just to get that shot?

Or it was a fiberglass panel.
I used to (and still do) take off my Disco Pros from a mat on top of my van, keeps the sand and dust away, it was disappointing that Solo wouldn't do this.

the other guys flight "safety" system is starting to look like a real mess.

Jerry
Agreed, that's why I asked 3DR this week to clarify their use of AirMap, it won't prevent Solo flying, ALSO, 3DR only pass GPS coordinates to AirMap they don't pass any information about you personally, this I thought was fairly important as AirMap have a lax looking privacy policy.

Reactions: J R
One thing I think would be really useful is to be able to (easily) fly a mission from a logfile. Something that wasn't preplanned via a mission. There are a few flights I'd really like to refly at different times of the seasons... but they weren't preplanned so I only have the logs.

Spring is March, so that's two months, it's possible there's contingency there unless the reason is to include more features.

>Update: 3DR are saying early Spring, but can't be more specific than that as it'll be down to the testing results. But that does suggest March is at least a possible.

Last edited:
One thing I think would be really useful is to be able to (easily) fly a mission from a logfile. Something that wasn't preplanned via a mission. There are a few flights I'd really like to refly at different times of the seasons... but they weren't preplanned so I only have the logs.

I've thought about that, I would think someone with some programming experience could read a log and create a waypoint path from it's GPS coordinates. You'd probably have to set start end points somehow, you could run into problems if it tried to re-fly a flight exactly from takeoff to landing. If your Solo wasn't *exactly* where it was on takeoff, it could try to fly to that location as soon as it gets light on it's feet.

And yea, that's exactly what I have planned for saved flight paths - fly the exact same path 4 to 8 times per year and transition between them - spring, summer, winter, fall. Could look really interesting. I had been planning on trying this with a Tower flight plan, but never got up the courage to send my Solo on it's way autonomously.

Agreed, that's why I asked 3DR this week to clarify their use of AirMap, it won't prevent Solo flying, ALSO, 3DR only pass GPS coordinates to AirMap they don't pass any information about you personally, this I thought was fairly important as AirMap have a lax looking privacy policy.

Thanks again, Ian. Your info is always very helpful! I really appreciate all you do here.

Jerry

Reactions: Ian [P13]
great tool! my dream now is the anouncement of a new 4k 4/3 camera like inspire pro jajaja for the solo. Is necesaary better image quality than gopro please plase

Reactions: JelleNL and J R
I think we will see more camera options
But for now people are getting some dang good results with the 4 Black
Not sure why folks are so fast to dismiss

True. The Hero 4 Black is definitely amazing for its size. But as a photographer I'm used to being able to adjust images quite a bit afterwards, mostly talking about dynamic range. The GoPro has very little wiggle room here and the image 'breaks' quite easily. Also the stills are quite horrible compared to even my iPhone unfortunately.

But in the end it's all about expectations. Mine are quite high unfortunately... :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brunoferreiro
Gopro is not but until you want to use on a video with clips from red epic or real cameras and the quality difference is noticible. The inspire 1 pro is much more closer to do the job. I understand the price difference,
It is just a inocent dream hahahaa

Gopro is not but until you want to use on a video with clips from red epic or real cameras and the quality difference is noticible. The inspire 1 pro is much more closer to do the job. I understand the price difference,
It is just a inocent dream hahahaa

Some recent major movies, and cameras used to film them...

Avengers: Age of Ultron
ARRI ALEXA XT Studio Camera
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Canon EOS-C500 Camera
GoPro HD Hero3 Camera
Red One MX Camera

Ex Machina
Sony CineAlta F65 Camera
Sony PMW-F55 Camera
Go ProGoPro HD Hero3 Camera (Black Edition)

Need for Speed
ARRI ALEXA Camera
Canon EOS-1D C Camera
Canon EOS-C500 Camera
GoPro HD Hero3 Camera

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
ARRI ALEXA XT Plus Camera
Canon EOS-5D Mark II Camera
Canon EOS-C500 Camera
GoPro HD Hero3 Camera

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug:
GoPro HD Hero3 Camera
Red Epic Camera

Source: ShotOnWhat?

It seems some people are able to use the gopro professionally, along with other "pro" cameras. Can you spot the GoPro footage from any of those movies? As always, it's not the equipment...it's the person using it, their skill and knowledge of the product, and people who know what they're doing in post.

I think we will see more camera options
But for now people are getting some dang good results with the 4 Black
Not sure why folks are so fast to dismiss

The 4 Black is very nice with a lens replacement. But the codec still isn't all that great; protune is nice enough for most work but put next to a Sony shooting XAVC or a BMD shooting prores, or even a GH4...the GoPro has a *lot* to be desired.
For straight down shots, the Sony NEX7 is great; I wish there were a gimbal to make it smooth.

Here we go again,. guys you purchased a drone marketed specifically for gopro
As listed above, the gopro has been used in feature films. How is it they can pull that off but others cant?

Now would it be nice to have a M43 option, Yep
and will it ever happen, most likely

But until it does why not learn to do what ever it is those pros are doing.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I want to see wich parts is really a gopro in these films... And in my case i use a lot still photography and gopro sucks. Is impossible to get proffesional results comparing to other photos from 4/3 cropped or full sensors, look
Only good on internet use max. I dont believe the only problem is human here

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela