333 exemption

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has, or has applied for, the 333 exemption with the FAA? If so did you use a lawyer or file yourself, plus, how long did it take to get it?

Thanks guys

Reactions: Projeffrey11
GR,
I have the exemption and did NOT use a lawyer. It took several days of research through the www.regulations.gov website to figure out what the application needs to say (in writing).
You can pull up all of the approved and pending requests to review and go from there.

Here's a link for the approved.
Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions
good luck!

Reactions: Projeffrey11
I did as Dash did. I downloaded a bunch of other applications and copied the one I liked the most. I submitted mine 14 weeks ago and still waiting.

You can file your Section 333 Exemption Petition as mentioned above, but I wanted to mention that if you want to expedite the process you can use our DIY Kit or we can file it for you with or without UAS aircraft registration (different than hobby FAA aircraft registration). It can take a while to get acclimated to the terminology in the exemptions (especially if you are not a pilot), sift through and select "your favorite" granted exemption. Also, a rejected petition could set you back a few months of time.

You can file your Section 333 Exemption Petition as mentioned above, but I wanted to mention that if you want to expedite the process you can use our DIY Kit or we can file it for you with or without UAS aircraft registration (different than hobby FAA aircraft registration). It can take a while to get acclimated to the terminology in the exemptions (especially if you are not a pilot), sift through and select "your favorite" granted exemption. Also, a rejected petition could set you back a few months of time.
I have my exemption petition ready to go...written per the guidelines in FAA's regs. I DO NOT have a PIC nor am I a licensed pilot, so I figured why submit for rejection. I cannot fin a licensed pilot who knows what an R/C transmitter is, so this seems to have been an exercise in frustration. Obdurate big brother. I'm trying to commercially use my 2-3 kg 3DR Iris & Solo for Pete's sake.

I filed it myself on December 16, 2015. It was published in the Federal Register on February 3, 2016, Regulations.gov
I expect a decision around mid-March. I have a short blog post on this at Review Time for Rule 333 Petitions | RosePatents | Robert Rose

You don't need an attorney, but I am an attorney.
Don't count your chickens yet. Despite what it says on their website (120 days from submittal to approval), they are now backing off of that and stating 120 days from docket date. I submitted mine on July 20th, posted to docket on Oct 19th. I finally rec'd a letter mailed on Feb 11th and it was a request for additional information related to closed set movie filming. WTF? I didn't include closed-set movie filming in my list of possible operations. This was the only comment in the request for more info. So after 223 days since filing and 132 days since posting to docket, I still don't know when I'll receive an approval. I do know this is seriously hindering my ability to perform this type of work.

I have a spreadsheet where I was tracking everything they were approving for several months. I haven't updated it in a couple of weeks (to frustrating), but it has over 700 approvals. Getting an approval 60-80 days from docket date is good. If you were to look at the docket numbers in my list, you would see a number of skipped docket numbers (that are associated with 333 exemption requests) that have been skipped. So, I guess I'm not alone. From reviewing the approvals, I can't find a pattern in what gets approved easier than others. No offense to the legal profession, but it doesn't look like having a lawyer submit your request helps in getting it approved any faster.

upload_2016-2-28_21-29-47.png

And yet another view.
Generally speaking, it seems the number of approvals have slowed down since Christmas, which doesn't make sense to me.
upload_2016-2-28_21-50-34.png

Wow, that is a lot of work. Yes, we are all in the same boat. There really is no reason it should take so long, nor any reason we can't be granted an interim exemption pending review. Was there a phone number or email on any of the documents you got from the FAA? I would be happy to call them.

My exemption took almost exactly 6 months from filing and about 3.5 months from docket publishing.

Thanks for getting that. I went ahead and sent an email to that address with an explanation and plea for assistance.

At this point, I would have been ecstatic with 105 day approval. My real concern now is that their request, and my response, will likely tack on another 45-60 days to the process.

Keep the faith. I have sent an email to my representative. For me it is Duncan Hunter (R-Cal 50th District) Enter your ZIP code (+4) in the banner of The House Explained · House.gov to find the representative for your congressional district. Follow the link to his/her webpage, and look for the link to contact. Then each of you do the same; short emails are best. (the text I used is below)
Having been on the other side, I know that this will generate a letter to the FAA asking why it is taking so long.
Good luck

Sample Message to Congressman:
I need your help getting the FAA to consider my petition for a Section 333 Exemption. I filed it December 15, 2015. It was not docketed until February 3, 2016.
DOCKET ID: FAA-2016-3232-0001
Regulations.gov

Thanks for getting that. I went ahead and sent an email to that address with an explanation and plea for assistance.

I rec'd an email response from Ms. Faulkner. I am told my petition was granted and letter is in the final stage (awaiting signature). Though, not sure how long this stage takes. I'm not going into celebration mode until I actually receive it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44