333 exemption

That's great news. I also got a reply from Ms. Faulkner and she said 120 days from docketing, which itself was 60 days from filing.
Yep. I guess they are still running 6 months. Sent mine in first of July, got it back 1st part of Jan. I guess they never staffed up to speed the process.

I rec'd an email response from Ms. Faulkner. I am told my petition was granted and letter is in the final stage (awaiting signature). Though, not sure how long this stage takes. I'm not going into celebration mode until I actually receive it.
FINALLY, my exemption was approved March 3rd (letter dated March 2nd). So, it only took 226 days from submittal date and 135 days from docket date.

I also spoke to Ms. Faulkner on the phone that day (Mar 2nd). From what I understand, she actually looked up my submission and verified the FAA made a mistake, and if I understood her correctly, she got it approved for signature that day. It appears it was officially approved by signature on the 3rd. So... Ms. Faulkner could be a good source of help, but only if you have cause.

...Time to get to work

You can file your Section 333 Exemption Petition as mentioned above, but I wanted to mention that if you want to expedite the process you can use our DIY Kit or we can file it for you with or without UAS aircraft registration (different than hobby FAA aircraft registration). It can take a while to get acclimated to the terminology in the exemptions (especially if you are not a pilot), sift through and select "your favorite" granted exemption. Also, a rejected petition could set you back a few months of time.
Could you please explain how you or your kit expedites the process?
Applications are processed in the order they are received and approvals are sent out in the same order.

I submitted mine in mid- August 2015, and just received approval this week. (7 months) I checked the list of approvals and confirmed that nobody who submitted after me was approved ahead of me.

I just looked at several approved petitions at FAA.gov and picked the shortest one (12 pages). I copied it, inserting my information and proposed uses and sent it in.

Wow, that is a lot of work. Yes, we are all in the same boat. There really is no reason it should take so long, nor any reason we can't be granted an interim exemption pending review. Was there a phone number or email on any of the documents you got from the FAA? I would be happy to call them.
It takes as long as it takes because:
- It's a new program and the FAA is "winging it" for now.
- the large number of applications has overwhelmed the FAA's ability to process them.

I agree that there is no way to expedite the process. None. It is infuriating. I contacted representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA) and senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA). I also sent a plea to 3DR. I even came up with an idea for an interim exemption. See here. Interim Rule 333 Exemptions? | RosePatents | Robert Rose Everyone is too busy worrying about other things.

One thing you CAN do to at least feel that things are moving is apply for an N number for your vehicles. Took about a month for mine to come (jet propelled compared to the Section 333 petition.) Details on how to do this are here: N-Numbers | RosePatents | Robert Rose Then when the exemption arrives you are all set to go. Also, take the time to get some insurance in place.

If you have not yet petitioned for an exemption then do it today and get in line! You may copy all or part of what I filed if you like. No guarantees, however. (it is attached)

Bob

Attachments

• Rule 333 Petition.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
I agree that there is no way to expedite the process. None. It is infuriating. I contacted representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA) and senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA). I also sent a plea to 3DR. I even came up with an idea for an interim exemption. See here. Interim Rule 333 Exemptions? | RosePatents | Robert Rose Everyone is too busy worrying about other things.

One thing you CAN do to at least feel that things are moving is apply for an N number for your vehicles. Took about a month for mine to come (jet propelled compared to the Section 333 petition.) Details on how to do this are here: N-Numbers | RosePatents | Robert Rose Then when the exemption arrives you are all set to go. Also, take the time to get some insurance in place.

If you have not yet petitioned for an exemption then do it today and get in line! You may copy all or part of what I filed if you like. No guarantees, however. (it is attached)

Bob
Bob- thanks for the info and the N-number reminder. I thought I needed to wait for the approval to come through.:(
I called the local FSDO a few days ago and they are mailing the 8050-1 to me. They said they do it all the time.

As many of you know the blanket COA that comes with your 333 includes a restriction that "all flight operations must be conducted at least 500 feet from all nonparticipating persons, vessels, vehicles and structures unless...." (Number 27)

In my neighborhood 500 feet is about a residential block. Use the following link to find out how long 500 feet is in your area. Or you can click on "map tools" at the top and select "draw a circle tool". You can then draw a 500 ft. diameter circle and see how much is encompassed.
If I wanted to take aerial pics of my house for a realtor I would need to get permission from about 30 homeowners and a school to be in compliance.
Is anybody really doing this? If so, how?
Google Maps Distance Calculator | Map Developers

You can check out a sample video I made.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I knocked on the door of neighbors and just said "Hi, I am Bob Rose. I am going to take an aerial video of the house that is for sale. I should be high enough that it won't bother you, and I am not going to intentionally take any photos of you or your property. I should be here around 1 hour. I can send you a link to the Vimeo page if you like; just give me an email address." This is a great opportunity for marketing your service, and no one had any complaints. People seem to be fine if you just give them some advance notice. I was thinking of having a flyer to hand out with my name, contact info, and explanation of what I was doing.

Reactions: Maddog and Jubalr

I knocked on the door of neighbors and just said "Hi, I am Bob Rose. I am going to take an aerial video of the house that is for sale. I should be high enough that it won't bother you, and I am not going to intentionally take any photos of you or your property. I should be here around 1 hour. I can send you a link to the Vimeo page if you like; just give me an email address." This is a great opportunity for marketing your service, and no one had any complaints. People seem to be fine if you just give them some advance notice. I was thinking of having a flyer to hand out with my name, contact info, and explanation of what I was doing.
Great idea Robert. I might borrow your flyer (or maybe a 3x5 card) idea.

Bob, I noticed you attracted the attention of the local police. What was his "response"?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44