1st Footage from the upcoming GoPro Drone...

Reaction score
Here is the first release of footage from the upcoming GP drone.
Thoughts?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Must be the reason why GoPro is not even bothering on fixing the firmware for hero 3 + silver to have functionality with solo. Let's just hope GoPro will still play nice with 3dr.

Here is the first release of footage from the upcoming GP drone.
Thoughts?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Must be the reason why GoPro is not even bothering on fixing the firmware for hero 3 + silver to have functionality with solo. Let's just hope GoPro will still play nice with 3dr.
Pretty sure Gopro made a new aerial camera specifically for this, look's good though better then Solo's video quality anyways, hope 3DR makes their own camera and fast.

Looks pretty smooth- 3DR better get their act together and fix their gimbal or their gonna be left in the dustbin of history.

Looks pretty smooth- 3DR better get their act together and fix their gimbal or their gonna be left in the dustbin of history.
Sadly we Solo owner seem to be the ones fixing all the design flaws while 3DR is just collecting money.

Reactions: JonW
Yeah - don't beta testers get the device for free to test and send all their reports to the company. Looks like all the GoPros were not fully tested with the gimbal before the release. Because at the very least - if everything was tested with the current firmware at the time we could just not upgrade the firmware and we would still have a product that works.

If you advertise that your product will do a certain thing - then it should at least do that.

Yeah - don't beta testers get the device for free to test and send all their reports to the company. Looks like all the GoPros were not fully tested with the gimbal before the release. Because at the very least - if everything was tested with the current firmware at the time we could just not upgrade the firmware and we would still have a product that works.

If you advertise that your product will do a certain thing - then it should at least do that.

It's obvious that the "3DR Solo" was rushed, it's the only logical explanation to the design flaws, even the gimbal for the Gopro was rushed because of the first mistake of releasing the Solo so early so they had to rush the production because of the angry Solo owner that didn't have a gimbal for months.

Reactions: lsmith1981
Pretty sure Gopro made a new aerial camera specifically for this, look's good though better then Solo's video quality anyways, hope 3DR makes their own camera and fast.
Actually, this was shot entirely on the GP Hero 4. Here is the description..
Published on Oct 28, 2015
Earlier this year, GoPro announced plans to release a quadcopter in the first half of 2016. The featured video was captured with a developmental prototype of GoPro's quadcopter and stabilization system. No post-production stabilization was implemented; this is an example of the incredible image quality we are already able to capture at this advanced prototype stage.
Shot 100% on the HERO4® camera

Actually, this was shot entirely on the GP Hero 4. Here is the description..
Published on Oct 28, 2015
Earlier this year, GoPro announced plans to release a quadcopter in the first half of 2016. The featured video was captured with a developmental prototype of GoPro's quadcopter and stabilization system. No post-production stabilization was implemented; this is an example of the incredible image quality we are already able to capture at this advanced prototype stage.
Shot 100% on the HERO4® camera
Good god doesn't that kind of throw the Solo into perspective, kind of sad that Gopros drone prototype looks better then what 3DR considered good enough to launch, and better then the gimbal they had months to work on....-____-

So...you mean, no one's put it together yet?
GoPro provides info to 3DR to remain exclusive...
...hmm...
Coincidence I guess...

This seems like bad news for all of us, but we knew it was coming. And I think GoPro is the kind of company that has the resources (financial and infrastructure) for efficient R&D, hitting scheduled timelines and efficient mass production. I guess the good news is that the Hero 4 black that I bought for Solo should work great on the GoPro drone. That was the main reason I stuck with Solo through all the problems was because of the $800 I have into the GoPro that I have no other use for.

Once more:
Who will be the actual source of manufacture for GoPros new drone. GoPro itself?
Just sayin'.

... And I think GoPro is the kind of company that has the resources (financial and infrastructure) for efficient R&D, hitting scheduled timelines and efficient mass production. I guess the good news is that the Hero 4 black that I bought for Solo should work great on the GoPro drone. ...

Each shot of that clip was the maximum length available before the highly engineered GP H4 Black overheated and had to be exchanged for another to continue shooting...

Reactions: Acroduster
Looks good, seems like all the shots were in no wind conditions. It would be interesting to see the performance in some wind conditions.

Although this says Hero 4, it doesn't say whether they've added anything to the firmware such as software stabilisation. I'd add it didn't look windy in those shots, so you could get the same from the Solo at those speeds I'm sure. That being said it is smooth

Each shot of that clip was the maximum length available before the highly engineered GP H4 Black overheated and had to be exchanged for another to continue shooting...
Is that actually an issue? Mine has never overheated

Once more:
Who will be the actual source of manufacture for GoPros new drone. GoPro itself?
Just sayin'.
That's a good question. Are you thinking based on the "collaboration" with GoPro for Solo that it could be 3DR. That would have made perfect sense to me in April/May but after the disastrous Solo launch I can't really see any large successful company partnering with them in the near future, unless 3DR provides blueprints and GoPro takes over all the rest.

Although this says Hero 4, it doesn't say whether they've added anything to the firmware such as software stabilisation. I'd add it didn't look windy in those shots, so you could get the same from the Solo at those speeds I'm sure. That being said it is smooth
Are you saying software stabilization in the camera itself? I think that's a great idea and I wonder why nobody has done that yet. As far as stability and wind, my Solo can't shoot smooth video in any conditions. But I'm still working on it. If GoPro added in camera stabilization through a FW update that might go a long way toward fixing my problem

I wouldn't get too excited about this. We only get a few minutes of footage. Sure it looks stable, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its more stable than 3DR footage. Also, they are pretty early in their development stage, no one really knows what this thing will be capable off.

Relax and enjoy flying.

So someone at a large professional company probably took hours of footage and whittled it down to the best few minutes and everything thinks "this is it, we're doomed"? It's just footage. I get stuff that good on my Solo all the time and I'm no pro.

Reactions: ahdsr and User Name

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig