1st Footage from the upcoming GoPro Drone...

That's a good question. Are you thinking based on the "collaboration" with GoPro for Solo that it could be 3DR. That would have made perfect sense to me in April/May but after the disastrous Solo launch I can't really see any large successful company partnering with them in the near future, unless 3DR provides blueprints and GoPro takes over all the rest.
Well, another disastrous launch theorist.
Taken with unbalanced props, no prep - just wanted to see why our apartment building was spring ceiling leaks all the time.
To be frank - if you can't get footage more stable and "usable" than this with Solo, I'd suggest you take some time out and find out why.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
kind of sad that Gopros drone prototype looks better then what 3DR considered good enough to launch, and better then the gimbal they had months to work on...

In a fast developing industry, any product that comes out months subsequent to another will most likely be better. I don't criticize my computer simply because newer models are better.

And let's be honest - all we have are a few video clips. The GoPro drone may indeed end up superior to the Solo... but it may not. Simply not enough information to cast judgement. The footage looks fantastic, but if it's simply using a Hero 4, the actual video quality should be identical. The claim of no stabilization isn't a nail in anything's coffin - just like how smartphone manufacturers show photos from their phones that rival DSLR quality, these are probably the 1 in a 1000 shots made by highly experienced, talented photographers. GoPro states explicitly that the video was from a prototype drone - there's no question that that prototype would have been set up, props and motors balanced to a far higher degree than what will eventually make it through mass production.

Sure, the Solo has a few minor annoyances, literally all products do, but the biggest features - the automation - works, and 3DR is standing behind their product. I could have chosen an Inspire 1, considered it for a long time. But I kept coming back to the fact that DJI's support seems to range between poor to non existent.

Lastly, I, and others, made what we thought was the best choice at the time of purchase. Nothing stands still, so even if the GoPro drone does come out (and let's be honest again, who knows when it will actually be released, "early 2016" is pretty vague and noncommittal), and is superior to the Solo in every way, well, those are the breaks. If we were to always wait for the superior product, we'd wait indefinitely.

Are you saying software stabilization in the camera itself? I think that's a great idea and I wonder why nobody has done that yet. As far as stability and wind, my Solo can't shoot smooth video in any conditions. But I'm still working on it. If GoPro added in camera stabilization through a FW update that might go a long way toward fixing my problem
it has already done by sony action cam stabilization feature (steady shots) i have sony cam and i tested while i do kitesurfing the video was stabilized i dont understand why dji and 3dr wont create a gimbal for sony cam
if have handheld gimbal + sony steady shots im sure the video smooth as hell

Last edited:
no thanks on that sony cam, there is a reason no one is making a gimbal for it
its called market share

it has already done by sony action cam stabilization feature

SteadXP - The Future of Video Stabilization by SteadXP — Kickstarter

I backed this on Kickstarter. Really hoping it comes through and works as good as their test videos. Won't work on the Solo gimbal because it snaps on the back of the GoPro and uses it's port, but if it works as advertised, I'm planning to strap a GoPro to my little 250 quad and seeing what it can do. There's things I'd do with the 250 that I'd be very reluctant to do with the Solo, so being able to get good footage out of it would be great.

SteadXP - The Future of Video Stabilization by SteadXP — Kickstarter

I backed this on Kickstarter. Really hoping it comes through and works as good as their test videos. Won't work on the Solo gimbal because it snaps on the back of the GoPro and uses it's port, but if it works as advertised, I'm planning to strap a GoPro to my little 250 quad and seeing what it can do. There's things I'd do with the 250 that I'd be very reluctant to do with the Solo, so being able to get good footage out of it would be great.
feiyu and osmo killer, i am 1000000000% surely dji chinese will imitate or copy once this steadxp release hahaha

Last edited:
Lets not all pop the cyanide capsules over some "prototype". Just because they say there was no post-production stabilization doesn't necessarily make it so. For all anybody knows, they shot that with a Solo and post-produced the hell out of it.

All the recent investment news is about how GoPro is on the ropes; a victim of the reliability of their own product causing sales to drop. This "apparatus", if it even exists may never see production at all.

Reactions: Engine24blue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig