WOW!

I'm new here, too. And, I would have expected a more mature response. When my kids keep asking me dumb questions, rather than respond, I just ignore them. Maybe it's time for new behavior?
I've heard it said that the only dumb question is the one not asked, but... I'm not so sure.

At any rate, when my kids would ask me a question I would point them in a direction where they could use their initiative and thought processes to discover the answer on their own. IF they got bogged down, I'd step in - but my kids were pretty smart. I think it came from exercising that grey matter. And on this forum, I suppose I have the same philosophy.

Who was it that said "If you have a tool at your disposal then you should try to use it first before you ask your buddy to use his tool."? Oh... it was a wise newb above - @FVidrine And if that's his darling little girl in his arms in his avatar, I'd say she's probably pretty smart, too.

Reactions: FVidrine
Maybe some of those "pilots" could help someone, I suppose that would be an issue for you.
folks I joined 3 new forums this week on other topics that interest me.
You know how I entered, I didn't. I will spend at least a month on there learning first.
You really should not start casting stones at the long time members until... I don't know... Maybe contribute a little

I too take a similar approach. I think it is common courtesy to help yourself before asking for help from others. When I joined over a year and half ago there were not as many posts, but I read all of them before asking any questions and that was long before I even bought a Solo. I wanted to understand all I could before either buying or asking a question or raising an issue already well covered.

I have since then asked plenty of questions and in turn have tried to take the load of the experts by answering those that I could.

unfortunately you need to get used to it if you are to stay

there's not much love for newbies in these parts. Heaven forbid you ask a question that was answered a year ago and probably outdated by now as a response. Right off the bat you'll be met with cheeky, and often than not downright rude responses.

if you're not DIY-friendly, technically inclined or even criticize 3DR you'll be banished socially.

Lots of smart, experienced owners here but can come off just as arrogant. It's too bad.

Reactions: quickamg
I also get frustrated with the new users who obviously haven't read one page of the manual, but I generally try to take a deep breath and be helpful. Or I just move on and don't reply at all.

I don't even mind when someone doesn't use the search feature. If it's so easy to search, then let's just do the search for them and post a link to the relevant thread. Eventually they will get the hang of it.

At the end of the day Solo owners need to stick together. Long term it does us no good to scare away the newbies. If they have a good experience here, they will likely buy and support products within the Solo ecosystem - which is good for all of us. And a lot of the newbies will be flying like pros in a few months and might even have a few tricks they can teach us.

Well I think I speak for everybody on this, but I'm still not convinced. I mean how can we be sure that you even own a solo. You never provided your data flash log for the flight, and it seems a bit suspicious that you never provided us with a copy of your flight plan from Mission Planner (if it even really existed) so we could upload it to our solos and independently verify your account of what allegedly took place. :)

Reactions: RichWest
I just started my membership on this site a few days ago and have only posted a coupled times due to my newbieness. However, I have noticed that there is very little wiggle room for newcomers on here. Good site for veterans who know the gig but if you are new to this site it seems you don't stand a chance. I've noticed others have posted similar comments. I hope this can change over time.
YOU ARE SO RIGHT. it seem's like some of these people actually think they are god put you down. BUT theres A FEW that act like adults and want to see the hobby grow then again theres a lot of children here too. good luck

I got of bit of that myself when I first joined (recently).

When they were all newbies... and the solo had just come out... all questions were new and fresh.

My guess is now many have been on so long... and have heard the same questions over and over...it seems they are tired of them being asked.

A good thing to do is to use SEARCH if you have questions. A member reminded me of that.

Yes... chances are VERY good a question you have HAS already been answered. Many times over.

This is a great source for information. And some really great / passionate members. And I am glad to be a newbie in the group.

Good luck. And wish ME luck. Mounting my gimbal this weekend and hope to get out and fly (helps that I live in Florida).

Awww, it's just some people's panties get all wound up in a wad. Don't let it bother you. There will always be people that know it all, and are God's in their own mind. I try to keep an open mind, and listen to everyone, then form my own opinion. Those that seem to be constantly sarcastic, I overlook, same as all those ads you get in the mail, come election time.

as a veteran I will tell you I just stopped answering the questions that have been asked over and over again
I look at least twice a day for unanswered posts
If the new poster asks a valid question I will answer it
But if they start out bashing solo or ask repetitive questions I just move on
How you are treated on a new forum is largely up to how you enter

It's pretty simple, if you don't have something nice/reasonable to say, don't say it.

That said, none of us are perfect, and of course it's normal to become irritated. The thing we can control is how we react when becoming irritated.

Regarding the search function, I said it is broken.

When you google, all you get are sales pitch and fake news.

For example, want to improve the radio range, type "solo long range antenna", you have to go through all the useless links.

Do it on this forum, same. There are too many folks selling stuff, all claim great stuff that even the experts can't agree how do the newbies know the difference.

As for the attitude of certain members, it is just like every communities. Some will try to monopoly it. I have a simple solution that I learned since CompuServe days, I just ignore them.

OMG! Compuserve, when I think of all the money I paid them for my old 300 baud dial-up connection! "The old days"

The search function is not broken. Perhaps if you spent more than 1.3 seconds on that search, you would see the litany of obvious results on that topic. Being too lazy to use the search function does not constitute it being broken.

Reactions: Bret and SARDG
IMG_0037.PNG As a newbie awaiting my BB purchase I just want to say all vets are GODS and I'm not worthy ....lol

View attachment 4987 As a newbie awaiting my BB purchase I just want to say all vets are GODS and I'm not worthy ....lol
So you just joined two days ago. You have one post. You do not even own a solo. And your second post here is to already complain about the forum. You'll definitely go real far here....

I am a member of many forums. My motorcycle, my boat, this Solo...on and on. I spend hours reading posts, both for incidental information, and also for specific info. I search a lot for details on my questions, and actually find so much information (in most of the forums) that I RARELY need to ask! Which is one of the great things about a forum. Many of my postings are incidental rants of my own (a complete boat refurb with pictures, as an example, that might help someone else doing the same down the road).
Net, there is a TON of info here, and "search" should be THE first choice. If you sincerely try, THEN post that you tried but are stuck, I am pretty sure someone will help. And as one of my former managers used to say during meetings:

There are no stupid questions. Only inquisitive idiots...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig