WOW!

I know a couple clubs I would actually like to see that play out in LOL
I just made the connection of this same clown over on FB, he has some obsession that anyone with common sense is bitter over buying solo at full price, Which also speaks more to his mindset than ours

Pedals I just put him on ignore
its how I have survived here
I help everyone I can on a daily basis, and its still fun if they are genuinely interested in being help

You're allowed to have an opinion all you want. It's called respect. You're fairly new, have very little participation with the group, and are lecturing the long time members who participate heavily about how they should act. Would you join a real club or group in person, show up to two meetings, then start telling everyone the way it should be? Would it matter if you told them "well I was in another unrelated club 20 years ago!"
That's fair enough but I've read my post several times and in it I actually agree that asking questions without research is bad. I thought that I had written a rather balanced comment. I'm not even sure that it was a "lecture" as I pointed out misbehavior on both sides of the question and offered a reasonable solution to both problems. Newbs-watch 3DR's videos/do research before asking questions. Vets-ignore questions that you find stupid or redundant.

As far as whether I would join an organization and immediately speech out against malfeasance? Hmmm, I'd like to think I would. I mean. You're both pointing out my post count but neither of you commented on what I actually said. How does my post count affect the validity of my comment either positively or negatively?

I know I'm on ignore, apparently but I've never discussed Solo on Facebook so it must be some other "clown". Again, anyone that wants to learn a ton about the Solo should look up the video series from Colin. He covers so much about the unit, how to get different shots, etc. There's also a German guy ( I believe) he flies DJI equipment but he has a very informative video series on drone filmography. I'll post the links.

Last edited:
You're allowed to have an opinion all you want. It's called respect. You're fairly new, have very little participation with the group, and are lecturing the long time members who participate heavily about how they should act. Would you join a real club or group in person, show up to two meetings, then start telling everyone the way it should be? Would it matter if you told them "well I was in another unrelated club 20 years ago!"

This is the new internet personality.I meet these kind of people all over the message boards.I doubt this kind of behavior would happen face to face.

Last edited:
What we really need is a proper noob stickie. A really good post, well organized, concise, with links to good resources, including other threads on this site.

If it's comprehensive enough, veterans can probably just post a link to the sticky to answer any number of repeat questions.

This is the new internet personality.I meet these kind of people all over the message boards.I doubt this kind of behavior would be happen face to face.
Nah, I tend to say what's on my mind in all situations. I honestly don't see it as "bad behavior" but I'm a firm believer in to each his own. I will defend my position while trying to always respect someone else's right to theirs. Because this is an issue about perceived slights, respect,etc I don't think that there's a "right" answer. In fact, if i follow the present model, I should point out that you have a smaller post count than I do and thus haven't any right to question me.

In fact, if i follow the present model, I should point out that you have a smaller post count than I do and thus haven't any right to question me.
More made up crap. Nobody every said you can't question something.Clearly you're going to spin this in whatever direction makes you feel best.

What we really need is a proper noob stickie. A really good post, well organized, concise, with links to good resources, including other threads on this site.

If it's comprehensive enough, veterans can probably just post a link to the sticky to answer any number of repeat questions.

Sounds like a great assignment for some new folks. And a great way for a new person to make a proper entry.... By actually contributing

Reactions: SARDG
And there it is again. You're proclaiming malfeasance. Which is simply not the case.
Hmmm... I see your point but I only framed it that way because the original poster (not me, btw) claimed that he was being abused by veterans on this site. To me, that is malfeasance. As I just replied to another member, as this thread is about "feelings", it is difficult to pinpoint "right and wrong". I realize that whether or not it was my intention to "lecture" really doesn't matter. Because you feel that that I was, that is your truth and there's nothing I can do about that.

Any chance, you might read my post and comment on the substance rather than whether or not I had the right to say it in the first place?

More made up crap. Nobody every said you can't question something.Clearly you're going to spin this in whatever direction makes you feel best.
Sorry, that was directed to that member in reference to what another member posted as well. He pointed out my post count as the reason why I don't have the right to say what I did. If my approximately 40 posts precludes me from comment on the actions of those with higher post count numbers, then he, with a post count around half of mine, should not be allowed to criticize me. Logistical progression was not a concept made up by me, I assure you. In any case, I completely understand that you have no interest in actually discussing the merit in what I said but only whether or not I should have said it. Fair enough.

Sounds like a great assignment for some new folks. And a great way for a new person to make a proper entry.... By actually contributing
I wish. It has to be a veteran. Someone whose seen all the questions.

I'm not volunteering by the way but I sure could suggest a few sections. Like one on not getting overly excited for you new Solo and trying to take off or land on your first flight right next to your house where GPS is weak. And a section of the app, ideally a YouTube video showing all the settings and explaining them, with a big note how you must be connected to the Solo to see or change its settings. Of course a section on vibrations and the gimbal. Covering everything from jello to routing the gimbal cable. Something about not creating cable cams where the spline curves through the ground. I could go on.

Ooo I like this idea! I have the links the the YouTube channels I was referencing earlier but I'm not sure where I should post them.

I'm reposting the meat of my comment, I'm really not seeing the disrespect you're talking about.

Yea I've been a part of forums back when they were message boards. You see this a lot but you have to thicken your skin and drive on or give up and leave. The thing about the Solo is that 3dr has a series of videos made by the head man himself that explains Solo's functions much better than anyone here can ever hope to. Which means that I agree that you should look into the manufactures resources before you enter a forum and ask. However, I also agree that it's unnecessary for forum veterans to get nasty with newbies, I normally just ignore obvious or redundant questions on my other forums.

Yea I've been a part of forums back when they were message boards. You see this a lot but you have to thicken your skin and drive on or give up and leave. The thing about the Solo is that 3dr has a series of videos made by the head man himself that explains Solo's functions much better than anyone here can ever hope to. Which means that I agree that you should look into the manufactures resources before you enter a forum and ask. However, I also agree that it's unnecessary for forum veterans to get nasty with newbies, I normally just ignore obvious or redundant questions on my other forums.

That notwithstanding, I posted in a thread that asked, "what's next?" And was attacked for answering the Mavic. So it's not just guys asking questions that get hit on here, it's anyone who would extol the virtues of DJI, Yuneec, etc or that's against DIY.
I've just been lurking around this thread, not posting.
What I truly gather from this post is simply that Colin is the be-all end-all of Solo function and those of us who've spent over a year bringing it to full potential don't really know what we're talking about.
Well, that just ain't so, sorry. I'd place a few of our most ingenious members FAR above him in basic aerodynamical knowledge with emphasis on drone behavior.
I dunno. You know, many of our newbies remind me of a lot of folks buying a new TV set. Have you seen the commercials for a "Hi Def" device to plug into your TV and therefore skip costly cable bills?
Well. They're just antennas. Most people nowadays do not realize TV is actually being broadcast that can be accessed without cable or satellite.
They're unaware that local TV is free. Just use an antenna.
I dunno.

Reactions: pyrate
I've just been lurking around this thread, not posting.
What I truly gather from this post is simply that Colin is the be-all end-all of Solo function and those of us who've spent over a year bringing it to full potential don't really know what we're talking about.
Well, that just ain't so, sorry. I'd place a few of our most ingenious members FAR above him in basic aerodynamical knowledge with emphasis on drone behavior.
I dunno. You know, many of our newbies remind me of a lot of folks buying a new TV set. Have you seen the commercials for a "Hi Def" device to plug into your TV and therefore skip costly cable bills?
Well. They're just antennas. Most people nowadays do not realize TV is actually being broadcast that can be accessed without cable or satellite.
They're unaware that local TV is free. Just use an antenna.
I dunno.
Well, I can see how you might take it that way. Again, we're dealing in perception and feelings here. I'd always imagine that someone that was part of the team that developed a product would have superior knowledge of that product. Also, some one who's job revolves around a product probably has a lot more hours with that product than someone that purchased it for a hobby. For example, I'm an engineer myself. I've worked in the same industry for almost 25 years. I would be surprised to find a consumer that has greater knowledge of a product that I designed, prototyped, tested, etc. However, as I don't claim to be the keeper of 3DR's history, I don't know exactly what Collin's total contribution was to Solo. I just like the way he explains things in his webinars and videos.

There is value in experience, never said I was smart but been pretty well exposed to just about everything solo.
But like someone else pointed out, it really boils down to just basic courtesy.
I'm a pretty smart software guy, but right now we are moving systems to salesforce cloud which I know nothing about.
For now I say very little in those meetings, But by listening I have identified at least three people I will work with as those with knowledge that I need, and ask for help when the time comes

Not surprising, the guy complaining about vets just figured out that to go above 400 feet you have to have advanced flight mode selected.
In the manual

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea