Windows 10 compatible GoPro studio replacement

I use to listen to PMG quite a bit while on the road...
yep, been his production company since day 1, my brother is still on the road as production manager going on 35yrs now.. talk about needing to lay down..
My Dad, (93 yrs old) always tells his friends " I think she's a country and western singer...Pretty sure she plays guitar too"
I find people either know ALL about him or have no clue who he is...
funny really... considering he just won his 20th Grammy in Ten different categories and been nominated 35 timeso_O

yep, been his production company since day 1, my brother is still on the road as production manager going on 35yrs now.. talk about needing to lay down..
My Dad, (93 yrs old) always tells his friends " I think she's a country and western singer...Pretty sure she plays guitar too"
I find people either know ALL about him or have no clue who he is...
funny really... considering he just won his 20th Grammy in Ten different categories and been nominated 35 timeso_O

Now I've got the bug to dig out some of those older PMG CDs and give them a re-listen - thanks !

The GoPro records to MP4 files. That is a Quick Time APPLE format. But you're going to sit there and tell me WINDOWS will play or edit an MP4 better than a MAC.

Last edited:
So do you have to download itunes to install go pro studio on windows 10?

So do you have to download itunes to install go pro studio on windows 10?
Not iTunes it does need the older version of QuickTime though, the newer one has an OS scanner of some kind to cockblock new operating systems, obviously they have the money and knowhow to do it. Seems microsoft should get away from depending on QuickTime for anything if at all possible, strange that they still are in the first place to me.

So seems premiere is difficult to work with early on, from what folks are saying. So decided on trying out Power Director 14 now and would likley just go with ultimate if I decide on it. Any opinions on if this is a good choice until I catch up a bit and can work through Premier, Vegas or something similar easier?

Seems most I'm seeing in this category are using PD, magix, or Corel and so far after a few hours I'm pretty happy using PD but any opinions on these are welcome. I am very happy about its big selling point which is speed, nothing takes more than a few seconds on PD and that's a nice change of pace. Is there much I'd be missing out on that others offer going with Power Director?

I have to assume there's a trad off to be that much faster than all the other options, right?

Thanks ahead of time I was being far to indecisive and figure I'd better just jump and see where I land or I'll just keep debating and never get anywhere.

Oh and even though these GoPro studio issues have been addressed supposedly the workarounds didn't work for me, so I gave up on it. I've got prodrenaline for stability and fisheye if needed so I can do without it even if the other editor I decide on doesn't offer these.

So seems premiere is difficult to work with early on, from what folks are saying. So decided on trying out Power Director 14 now and would likley just go with ultimate if I decide on it. Any opinions on if this is a good choice until I catch up a bit and can work through Premier, Vegas or something similar easier?

Seems most I'm seeing in this category are using PD, magix, or Corel and so far after a few hours I'm pretty happy using PD but any opinions on these are welcome. I am very happy about its big selling point which is speed, nothing takes more than a few seconds on PD and that's a nice change of pace. Is there much I'd be missing out on that others offer going with Power Director?

I have to assume there's a trad off to be that much faster than all the other options, right?

Thanks ahead of time I was being far to indecisive and figure I'd better just jump and see where I land or I'll just keep debating and never get anywhere.

Oh and even though these GoPro studio issues have been addressed supposedly the workarounds didn't work for me, so I gave up on it. I've got prodrenaline for stability and fisheye if needed so I can do without it even if the other editor I decide on doesn't offer these.
Oh yeah. I don't care for Adobe. I am all about keeping it simple and Adobe is over the top. Way more than I want to deal with.
Was trying to help someone at work yesterday make some videos with Elements....too much......I told them they were on their own.
I could do it in a matter of a few minutes with any other program.

What version of quick times? Im looking for something simple to start with. Is Vegas any good?

I had GPS installed prior to the Win10 upgrade and it still functions fine. 10 seems to have a lot of driver issues with certain devices. I tried to upgrade my moms PC and the monitor video would just flicker on and off constantly. Took some googling to get it back to 8.1

What version of quick times? Im looking for something simple to start with. Is Vegas any good?
Earl posted a link earlier in this thread that will take you to a page explaining everything and it also has the QuickTime link. It's 7.6 I'm pretty sure but make sure you turn off your auto update for Apple and Windows or it will probably try to automatically "upgrade" and won't work. It's the second post on page one of this thread.

How to Install QuickTime on Windows 10

Good luck I still wasn't able to stop the error or get studio to work on my good PC, my older one with win 10 also, still works but I'd never try to edit on it again. I was looking for a studio replacement anyway and this made me switch now so it's not all bad. I'm not one to ask about software yet but I know a lot of guys here use Vegas, I'm starting off on a more user friendly option for now and as I get more experience I plan to spend more if need be.

I had GPS installed prior to the Win10 upgrade and it still functions fine. 10 seems to have a lot of driver issues with certain devices. I tried to upgrade my moms PC and the monitor video would just flicker on and off constantly. Took some googling to get it back to 8.1

Yea I'm not sure what my issue is maybe it's with my PC itself cause my old toshiba runs GPS, just not the new Sager and they both had it installed before the upgrade. Was odd actually one day I noticed the GPS icon changed then eventually dissappeared all together and I haven't been able to get it working since.

Earl posted a link earlier in this thread that will take you to a page explaining everything and it also has the QuickTime link. It's 7.6 I'm pretty sure but make sure you turn off your auto update for Apple and Windows or it will probably try to automatically "upgrade" and won't work. It's the second post on page one of this thread.

How to Install QuickTime on Windows 10

Good luck I still wasn't able to stop the error or get studio to work on my good PC, my older one with win 10 also, still works but I'd never try to edit on it again. I was looking for a studio replacement anyway and this made me switch now so it's not all bad. I'm not one to ask about software yet but I know a lot of guys here use Vegas, I'm starting off on a more user friendly option for now and as I get more experience I plan to spend more if need be.

So can you open the gopro mp4 files with Vegas?
I'm assuming you can open the mp4s with Vegas or any decent paid option. I just finished cutting and throwing a couple random boring clips together with a couple songs that were on my Sager with power director and I like it. Next one I'll try to get a bit more interesting things on and post it, but I've got the basics down now without having to watch or read through anything in a few hours.

Most have a free trial month that's what I'm doing now using the power director ultimate Suite. I'm sure you can do the same with Vegas, this didn't even make me give em anything but my name and email either. Just try what I am and those that your thinking about do the trial and see what works for you. Everybody has a tough time recommending and most pros use several for different things so I'm experimenting since it's free.

Seems Vegas and Premeire are the pro choices but they also use others for certain things, power director 14 is the fastest to use I've found researching and gets great reviews so that's why I started here. I'm sure eventually I'll want more and upgrade to pro versions, but I got a feeling by that time there will be new versions of each to buy and sounds like the pro softwares a rough way to get going editing or I'd jump in now.

Good luck

One program that I use to edit videos is "CyberLink PowerDirector 13 64bit"

Just tossing another program in to the mix of the standard programs.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
One program that I use to edit videos is "CyberLink PowerDirector 13 64bit"

Just tossing another program in to the mix of the standard programs.
Ultimate or Ultra or Deluxe. Which would you suggest?

Last edited:
So I've been trying to figure out why my GoPro studio went crazy and just stopped working, came to find out quicktime is not supported by win 10. So basically until it is it seems GoPro studio is worthless at least on my good computer. I've opened it on my old satellite which is more than I can say for my Sager, however using that's really not an option and I still get error messages and I'm betting more issues if I use it.

Question is then what are folks that don't use GPS for cutting, converting or anything and running win 10 using successfully?

I'm fairly new to AP editing so it would be nice if it's somewhat user friendly but I should be able to learn most of the software fairly quickly. I really don't want to drop 3 or 400 bucks at once unless necessary but wouldn't mind paying a monthly for something worthwhile like premiere I guess.

Would that be the best option or are there other better/easier/or cheaper options that will still give good professional looking results for Windows 10?

I'd rather pay a bit than have very limited functionality, it'd be nice to not have to spend an arm and a leg but I understand you get what you pay for most of the time. Any and all experience or insight on this is appreciated and I'd guess this thread could help others as well, I know there are other threads but I havent seen any discussing Windows 10 compatible software just yet. I'm assuming most folks were smarter than I was and waited to upgrade to 10 since I'm not seeing this discussed much, hopefully a few jumped like I did and have working options.

Thanks
AD
Hi All if you go onto the net and search install quicktime on win 10 theres stack of you tube and hints to do it.
As I said its running on my win 10 Machine along with I tunes and Go Pro Studio.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44