Windows 10 compatible GoPro studio replacement

Reaction score
So I've been trying to figure out why my GoPro studio went crazy and just stopped working, came to find out quicktime is not supported by win 10. So basically until it is it seems GoPro studio is worthless at least on my good computer. I've opened it on my old satellite which is more than I can say for my Sager, however using that's really not an option and I still get error messages and I'm betting more issues if I use it.

Question is then what are folks that don't use GPS for cutting, converting or anything and running win 10 using successfully?

I'm fairly new to AP editing so it would be nice if it's somewhat user friendly but I should be able to learn most of the software fairly quickly. I really don't want to drop 3 or 400 bucks at once unless necessary but wouldn't mind paying a monthly for something worthwhile like premiere I guess.

Would that be the best option or are there other better/easier/or cheaper options that will still give good professional looking results for Windows 10?

I'd rather pay a bit than have very limited functionality, it'd be nice to not have to spend an arm and a leg but I understand you get what you pay for most of the time. Any and all experience or insight on this is appreciated and I'd guess this thread could help others as well, I know there are other threads but I havent seen any discussing Windows 10 compatible software just yet. I'm assuming most folks were smarter than I was and waited to upgrade to 10 since I'm not seeing this discussed much, hopefully a few jumped like I did and have working options.

Thanks
AD

There are tradeoffs with everything. There simply isn't one "best" answer for every person or situation. As an example, Premiere is awesome, but requires a VERY stout machine (with 64 GB RAM) is costly, a sunscription, and has a steep learning curve for all the functions and different applications in the Adobe suite. Great if you need all that and are willing to make the dollar and time investment.. Overkill and actually a problem if you don't and aren't.

Windows Moviemaker is a good replacement for GPS for general editing, but doesn't do some GP specific things like Protune and Fisheye removal... And there are MANY others, each with strengths.

What is the final product you are trying to create? Do you plan on the RAW/color correction route? Or just shoot/cut/puplish? Where will the video be seen? DVD? Youtube?

Answers to these questions will help you choose the right thing

I also found this, which may or may not help yiou with Quicktime.

How to Install QuickTime on Windows 10

Last edited:
So I've been trying to figure out why my GoPro studio went crazy and just stopped working, came to find out quicktime is not supported by win 10. So basically until it is it seems GoPro studio is worthless at least on my good computer. I've opened it on my old satellite which is more than I can say for my Sager, however using that's really not an option and I still get error messages and I'm betting more issues if I use it.

Question is then what are folks that don't use GPS for cutting, converting or anything and running win 10 using successfully?

I'm fairly new to AP editing so it would be nice if it's somewhat user friendly but I should be able to learn most of the software fairly quickly. I really don't want to drop 3 or 400 bucks at once unless necessary but wouldn't mind paying a monthly for something worthwhile like premiere I guess.

Would that be the best option or are there other better/easier/or cheaper options that will still give good professional looking results for Windows 10?

I'd rather pay a bit than have very limited functionality, it'd be nice to not have to spend an arm and a leg but I understand you get what you pay for most of the time. Any and all experience or insight on this is appreciated and I'd guess this thread could help others as well, I know there are other threads but I havent seen any discussing Windows 10 compatible software just yet. I'm assuming most folks were smarter than I was and waited to upgrade to 10 since I'm not seeing this discussed much, hopefully a few jumped like I did and have working options.

Thanks
AD
Lord have Mercy, why would anyone involved with media work on windows instead of Mac?

Thanks Earl problem is I can install QuickTime and it seems ok but GPS errors when I'm trying to use it and my computer and folks online are blaming Quicktime. Dunno but I see it's a fairly widespread issue, I'll try those options with QuickTime here in a bit.

For now I'll likley just be posting here or maybe Vimeo or YouTube but eventually I'll likley use it for more. I have prodrenaline for fisheye and a other things but was much easier to use along side GPS. I'll just play around with a couple I guess and see what seems to fit. May end up scraping 10 and going back if there's going to be issues wasting this much time for what I use my computer for its not worth the headache for win 10.
Lord have Mercy, why would anyone involved with media work on windows instead of Mac?

Honestly I'm not really involved in media much until recently, I've also never owned a Mac computer but I do notice that all of the iOS portable devices are very simple and very behind the times compared to everything else. Don't get me wrong that's nice sometimes and I have an iPhone and an iPad but also a galaxy s6 that puts them both to shame. Maybe Mac is different and if I tried a Mac I'd enjoy it but I really like my PC just pissed about this whole compatibility issue. Normally I have no problems but this does suck, just never seen anything with Mac that stood out to justify the price when compared to all my windows machines. I have a Sager now and it's great for most everything I do, maybe one day I'll give a MacBook Pro a shot though. I've never had a reason to think about changing until the past couple years now.

How closed off is Mac, is it too simple and dated like the other IOS stuff or can you do most things you can on PC and not feel like Marty going back in time?

Thanks Earl problem is I can install QuickTime and it seems ok but GPS errors when I'm trying to use it and my computer and folks online are blaming Quicktime. Dunno but I see it's a fairly widespread issue, I'll try those options with QuickTime here in a bit.

For now I'll likley just be posting here or maybe Vimeo or YouTube but eventually I'll likley use it for more. I have prodrenaline for fisheye and a other things but was much easier to use along side GPS. I'll just play around with a couple I guess and see what seems to fit. May end up scraping 10 and going back if there's going to be issues wasting this much time for what I use my computer for its not worth the headache for win 10.

Honestly I'm not really involved in media much until recently, I've also never owned a Mac computer but I do notice that all of the iOS portable devices are very simple and very behind the times compared to everything else. Don't get me wrong that's nice sometimes and I have an iPhone and an iPad but also a galaxy s6 that puts them both to shame. Maybe Mac is different and if I tried a Mac I'd enjoy it but I really like my PC just pissed about this whole compatibility issue. Normally I have no problems but this does suck, just never seen anything with Mac that stood out to justify the price when compared to all my windows machines. I have a Sager now and it's great for most everything I do, maybe one day I'll give a MacBook Pro a shot though. I've never had a reason to think about changing until the past couple years now.

How closed off is Mac, is it too simple and dated like the other IOS stuff or can you do most things you can on PC and not feel like Marty going back in time?

Let me clarify a bit too I know and have seen what they can do as far as editing and that's concerned, I mean otherwise in day to day use, gaming, browsing, streaming, and whatever I can throw at it.

It amazes me how unknowledgeable you are about video on a mac versus a PC. Video is a foreign language on a PC. On a Mac it is a native language. I can scrub through a 2 hour movie on my Mac in 2 seconds. On a PC it chokes and sputters after 2 minutes.

So I've been trying to figure out why my GoPro studio went crazy and just stopped working, came to find out quicktime is not supported by win 10.

AD
I upgraded to Win10 recently. I was able to install GoPro Studio? It runs a bit choppy but I am able to load it.

I didn't realize others couldn't even run it. I'm guessing, but if it's a QuickTime thing, I never had it installed in the past and I always used a codec pack like CCC or Shark's.

Still, it's choppy enough that I don't like using it and I use the ProDrenalin for defishing and Adobe for the rest (grading, cutting etc.). Adobe Warp isn't bad, just behaves differently sometimes. One simple benefit of using Adobe - no need to convert the native GoPro files before editing.

It amazes me how unknowledgeable you are about video on a mac versus a PC. Video is a foreign language on a PC. On a Mac it is a native language. I can scrub through a 2 hour movie on my Mac in 2 seconds. On a PC it chokes and sputters after 2 minutes.
Never mind I'll talk to somebody that's actually helpful, I HAVE NOT OWNED A MAC yet I told you that I have seen and know exactly what they can do with video and editing, I was asking how they were with other tasks cause as I mentioned I HAVE NOT OWNED ONE. Are you having trouble with the language or what, this was a question and a pretty clear one that I'll happily ask to someone that's not amazed how Unknowledgeable I am about something I DONT OWN, don't worry about it, get back to arguing with somebody as it fits your MO better. Buh bye now have a wonderful evening more than likley it's you and your Mac again, I'm going to spend some time with my old lady. Sorry I asked

I upgraded to Win10 recently. I was able to install GoPro Studio? It runs a bit choppy but I am able to load it.

I didn't realize others couldn't even run it. I'm guessing, but if it's a QuickTime thing, I never had it installed in the past and I always used a codec pack like CCC or Shark's.

Still, it's choppy enough that I don't like using it and I use the ProDrenalin for defishing and Adobe for the rest (grading, cutting etc.). Adobe Warp isn't bad, just behaves differently sometimes. One simple benefit of using Adobe - no need to convert the native GoPro files before editing.

Thanks I'll try these other options to try to get it to work I too have it installed on my older satellite but have seen others with this problem. I'll try out the ways you mentioned or I too have prodrenaline so I'll use it with another program. Thanks again for the info

Ignored the first I'm better than you cause I own a Mac post but really a second and suprise suprise a p3 as a profile pic too seems like a pretty typical Apple Phan boy to me. Thanks for all the useful posts Stevenson.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Ignored the first I'm better than you cause I own a Mac post but really a second and suprise suprise a p3 as a profile pic too seems like a pretty typical Apple Phan boy to me. Thanks for all the useful posts Stevenson.
I finally put him on ignore earlier - posts have been getting crazier and crazier. Unfortunately you quoted him! :confused:o_O:p

I finally put him on ignore earlier - posts have been getting crazier and crazier. Unfortunately you quoted him! :confused:o_O:p
Yea sorry about that one he was back and forth before, sometimes being normal in threads but some folks attitude is just too much for me. Oh well at least these types are few and far between in this forum unlike others and they aren't exactly hard to spot, he may end up my very first member of the list for this forum. Wel see how ridiculous the response is. I had a phone book full on RCG but here's been better since you can stay away from their threads.

Reactions: Lamda
Yea sorry about that one he was back and forth before, sometimes being normal in threads but some folks attitude is just too much for me. Oh well at least these types are few and far between in this forum unlike others and they aren't exactly hard to spot, he may end up my very first member of the list for this forum. Wel see how ridiculous the response is. I had a phone book full on RCG but here's been better since you can stay away from their threads.
LOL... I couldn't figure out WHAT you guys were talking about... The converstaion seemed to skip a lot...

Then I saw someone mention "Stevenson" and it all made sense... Like trying to talk physics with a pitbull :confused: Lots of angry barking, but not much logic or thought...

I ignored him a LONG time ago. so I don't see his posts, or replies. Life is much better for it..

PS: Not everyone from Washington is like that... Really!! :)

Last edited:

Because they need to get work done without a number of odd workarounds? (This, from a guy that runs Windows on a Boot Camp'd Mac) Apple users are often unaware of what Windows brings to the table, and it's not as cute as IOS, and it's not even as "simple" as IOS, but it's certainly more friendly, efficient, and able with all the various codecs and formats that Apple hasn't natively caught on to yet.

Earl, try Sony Vegas Movie Studio. On Win10, it freakin' flies. And it works quite well with GP. $49.00, and has a 30 day trial.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Because they need to get work done without a number of odd workarounds? (This, from a guy that runs Windows on a Boot Camp'd Mac) Apple users are often unaware of what Windows brings to the table, and it's not as cute as IOS, and it's not even as "simple" as IOS, but it's certainly more friendly, efficient, and able with all the various codecs and formats that Apple hasn't natively caught on to yet.

Earl, try Sony Vegas Movie Studio. On Win10, it freakin' flies. And it works quite well with GP. $49.00, and has a 30 day trial.
I could give a few more reasons for PC's over Macs for video, like 1 TB solid state drives for the OS and media in a RAID array? 64 GB RAM, and Invidia Tesla video cards. And the software has caught up also. The days of MAC being better/faster than PC for video were over years ago...

I have seen Sony Vegas. I am really a Premiere Pro/Adobe Creative Cloud guy though... I have worked a bit in Red Giant (also amazing) and others, as well as messed around with dozens of packages from iMovie to the REALLY expensive 8K stuff (mostly observed) but I always fall back to Premiere, as it is what i "cut my teeth" on.

All the packages and components are a bit convoluted, but there is little you can't do with it (including 8K) if you can just find it.... Luckily there are many books, classes, and dozens of channels on it now, so most things are just a google away... A lot off people doing work much better than mine (including many feature films etc.) use it, so it is clearly good enough for me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeWingsuit

Thanks
AD
AD, hi I am running GPS on a Windows 10 machine when I download from my Hero 4 it goes straight to GPS and I convert it and then take it straight into Sony Vegas Pro no problems. Actually when I was running win 7 there was a bit of an issue with QuickTime but it used to come and go, I can't remember what happened because things have been updated since then and I went over to Win 10.
I do remember that others were having problems.
Anyway it's running here ok in PAL in Australia.
Cheers, John.

AD,
I am running GoPro studio on my Win 10 machine and it is working ok. It was already on the machine when I downloaded and installed Win 10. I use iTunes, so Quicktime is there also. I was having some issues at first but it seems like since I have done a few edits it's working good.
When I was running Win 7 I was having problems with it stopping during the conversion process but with Win 10 I haven't had an issue.
I have tried other programs. I also have LightWorks installed but I still haven't figured it out all the way.
There is one quirky thing it does when I connect the GoPro. Windows pops a message up asking me what I want to do with the files, then the GoPro utility says there are no files to import. I close the Windows popup, then disconnect and reconnect the GoPro and it starts the import.
Also put the clown in the corner on ignore as I have several weeks ago....

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513
Lmfao, Y'all are all a trip, actually I had also heard the days of Mac being on top in editing were over which was why I went with the setup I did, it's actually about the same money as a Mac but I got it for a much better price with some patience. It's also got more than double what a MacBook Pro can under the hood so I'm doubting a Mac can do much better, other than being simplified so an ape could use it. I've not put a ton on this machine yet, I'll try some of the ideas posted today and maybe just take it back to factory if they don't work to see if that works. After I save a couple programs I can just lose my hundreds of gigs of unstable vids. I took my old machine back before switching to win 10 and it's been much better since and seems to be running gp fine.

Thanks for all the tips and answers without the bs attitude and amazement of how unbelievable it is I don't own a Mac. Looks like I've got plenty of programs to try out and play with now that the weather here's going to go down the crapper any day, so guess the timings alright.

Headed out to fly everybody have a great day, seems the weathers going to be better here than what we got yesterday. Better take advantage while I can cause if the snow holds off until Halloween Id be surprised, not long ago we had a couple white halloweens sadly enough. Late as summer was maybe wel get lucky but I doubt it, fly safe folks.

Lmfao, Y'all are all a trip, actually I had also heard the days of Mac being on top in editing were over which was why I went with the setup I did, it's actually about the same money as a Mac but I got it for a much better price with some patience. It's also got more than double what a MacBook Pro can under the hood so I'm doubting a Mac can do much better, other than being simplified so an ape could use it. I've not put a ton on this machine yet, I'll try some of the ideas posted today and maybe just take it back to factory if they don't work to see if that works. After I save a couple programs I can just lose my hundreds of gigs of unstable vids. I took my old machine back before switching to win 10 and it's been much better since and seems to be running gp fine.

Thanks for all the tips and answers without the bs attitude and amazement of how unbelievable it is I don't own a Mac. Looks like I've got plenty of programs to try out and play with now that the weather here's going to go down the crapper any day, so guess the timings alright.

Headed out to fly everybody have a great day, seems the weathers going to be better here than what we got yesterday. Better take advantage while I can cause if the snow holds off until Halloween Id be surprised, not long ago we had a couple white halloweens sadly enough. Late as summer was maybe wel get lucky but I doubt it, fly safe folks.
Not a MAC fan myself. I have a lot under the hood on my machine so Windows works like a charm for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44