Sidepilot won't start GoPro Filming

Reaction score
Hi All - I have a 3DR Solo that someone gave me - basically brand new. I got Open Solo 4.0 installed on the drone and the controller, and it flies great! I got my hands on two GoPro Hero 3+ Silver cameras and updated the firmware on both. The drone/camera streams video to Sidepilot - it drops out frequently, but come right back. The issue I am having is that I can't initiate recording via the ap. If I push the record button nothing happens. Sometimes when the video stream drops and comes back a message pops up saying something along the lines of "Can't read GoPro state" or the like. I will fire it up at some point and get the exact wording. I did find a thread from several years ago from someone having the same probelme, but I think updating the firmware on the cameras did the trick.

I did find a setting in SidePilot for "GoPro Options" under "3DR Solo Setup." The only setting is for "GoPro Component ID (Default 154)" There is no information in the SidePilot manual on this setting - I don't know if that needs to be changed. It is currently set to the default.

I have also read that a bad SD card or a problem with the camera could be the issue, but it is the same with both cameras and bot can record video fine when not attached to the drone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Off the top of my head I'd say that the gimbal firmware hasn't been installed—this is done by the original Solo firmware and Open Solo won't do it— or the GoPro firmware is too new.

Sometimes, I have to re-boot the Gopro after the Solo is all fired up. And sometimes I have to re-boot the Solo.:cool:

Off the top of my head I'd say that the gimbal firmware hasn't been installed—this is done by the original Solo firmware and Open Solo won't do it— or the GoPro firmware is too new.
Thanks for the info! In the Sidepilot Ap there is a version number for the gimbal firmware - 1.3.6 I think. My understanding is that this is the latest version. I know the GoPro firmware is most recent but that dates from 2015 I think so I imagine it would be compatible. I have read about reinstalling the gimbal firmware but I would rather not if it might be something else!

I tried it again just with the drone on the ground. I did get the GoPro to start recording, but the issue is that the video feed cuts out and when it does recording stops. So it seems like some type of connectivity issue. The drone itself does not lose contact with the controller though. WOuld it be a hardware issue with the gimbal and the wiring/transmission?

Hi All - I have a 3DR Solo that someone gave me - basically brand new. I got Open Solo 4.0 installed on the drone and the controller, and it flies great! I got my hands on two GoPro Hero 3+ Silver cameras and updated the firmware on both. The drone/camera streams video to Sidepilot - it drops out frequently, but come right back. The issue I am having is that I can't initiate recording via the ap. If I push the record button nothing happens. Sometimes when the video stream drops and comes back a message pops up saying something along the lines of "Can't read GoPro state" or the like. I will fire it up at some point and get the exact wording. I did find a thread from several years ago from someone having the same probelme, but I think updating the firmware on the cameras did the trick.

I did find a setting in SidePilot for "GoPro Options" under "3DR Solo Setup." The only setting is for "GoPro Component ID (Default 154)" There is no information in the SidePilot manual on this setting - I don't know if that needs to be changed. It is currently set to the default.

I have also read that a bad SD card or a problem with the camera could be the issue, but it is the same with both cameras and bot can record video fine when not attached to the drone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The Hero 3+ Silver is not compatible with the controls. The Hero 3+ Black and both Hero 4 cameras are compatible.

Reactions: CharlieKeck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig