Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

Ha ! You beat me to it Jubair :)
Well, here's my version. I was able to keep all of the tables and images and cut & pasted all of the actual links that were referenced, I hope it comes out and is able for anyone interested in printing out a hard copy. Let me know if it can't be viewed or printed.

Attachments

• GoPro Camera Settings.pdf
    212.4 KB · Views: 98
Did you prepare that in MS Word or some other program or did you completely type everything into your posting from scratch?
Just typed it in. Made some tables in a word processor and saved them as jpegs, but those are long gone.

Just typed it in. Made some tables in a word processor and saved them as jpegs, but those are long gone.
That's OK, I just put everything together in a pdf file and posted it in one of my previous comments. Should be good for everyone to download and print it all out. You did a GREAT job putting all of that info together. I know it took a LOT of work on your part to do that. Many thanks!

Reactions: erikgraham
Ha ! You beat me to it Jubair :)
Well, here's my version. I was able to keep all of the tables and images and cut & pasted all of the actual links that were referenced, I hope it comes out and is able for anyone interested in printing out a hard copy. Let me know if it can't be viewed or printed.
Great job Mr. G! I just downloaded it to iBooks so I can refer to it any time.

In places like that, a lot of the overexposure is from glare off rocks. A CP filter can help a lot with that just like it does for water, but only at certain angles which you have planned for ahead of time.

Yeah, I have the Polar Pro 3 pack and even with the darkest filter, I have trouble on some days.
FCPX can only do so much. I guess I have to pick and choose the days I film, or at least the time of day. Before 7am seems to work well ;)

Aussie

Yeah, I have the Polar Pro 3 pack and even with the darkest filter, I have trouble on some days.
FCPX can only do so much. I guess I have to pick and choose the days I film, or at least the time of day. Before 7am seems to work well ;)

Aussie
I think that only goes to ND8. I bought the 6 pack on Amazon and it includes ND16 and ND32 . Maybe one of those would work better for you.:cool:

I think that only goes to ND8. I bought the 6 pack on Amazon and it includes ND16 and ND32 . Maybe one of those would work better for you.:cool:

You are correct mate. ND2 = 1 stop, ND4 = 2 stops and ND8 = 3 stops. Even with the 3 stop fitted, the rocks look washed out. Check out my video from Sabino Canyon (before drones were banned)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(you tube link)

Ill check out the 6 pack (not my 6 pack, it has a healthy layer of padding over it :rolleyes:) on Amazon or eBay

Cheers
Aussie

Reactions: Maddog
You are correct mate. ND2 = 1 stop, ND4 = 2 stops and ND8 = 3 stops. Even with the 3 stop fitted, the rocks look washed out. Check out my video from Sabino Canyon (before drones were banned)
(you tube link)

Ill check out the 6 pack (not my 6 pack, it has a healthy layer of padding over it :rolleyes:) on Amazon or eBay

Cheers
Aussie
Yeah. That looks like ND16 country to me. But then in post you have to push up the exposure in the blacks in Final Cut or whatever you are using. There will be a lot of detail that can be recovered from the dark areas of the image even with an ND16 or 32.

Reactions: Aussie in AZ
(you tube link)

Cheers
Aussie

I apologize if it's an obvious question... You are set to -2.0?

(Nice piece!)

GoPro EV Comp setting (range +2.0 to -2.0)
I don't live in the desert but in full sun I can get by with -1.5 and the ND8.

Actually mate, I haven't messed the that. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Cheers
Aussie

I'm new with GoPro but from what I've been reading you should be able to dial in for full sun even without NDs just with that exposure compensation setting.

I'm new with GoPro but from what I've been reading you should be able to dial in for full sun even without NDs just with that exposure compensation setting.

You must be new to photography as well. They do not have the same effect. Dialing EV down will darken the image but it will not change the shutter speed as the ND will. Also you can a go past a the darkening of -2 with the ND filters.

ND filters help get the shutter speed down enough to approach the "180 degree shutter angle rule" as has been discussed here before.

There is no digital setting substitute for an ND filter. If there was serious photographers would not be spending money on filters

You must be new to photography as well. They do not have the same effect. Dialing EV down will darken the image but it will not change the shutter speed as the ND will. Also you can a go past a the darkening of -2 with the ND filters.

ND filters help get the shutter speed down enough to approach the "180 degree shutter angle rule" as has been discussed here before.

There is no digital setting substitute for an ND filter. If there was serious photographers would not be spending money on filters

Greg, thanks for pointing this out. It appears my remark out of context may leave OP and other readers with an incorrect impression that I would recommend shooting at higher than necessary shutter speeds.

I agree with everything you said.

Of course ND filters are called for, but from my experience and from what I've read about GoPro, I believe that I can restate my original post: You "should be able to" dial in for full sun just with the camera's settings in video mode. "Dialing down" will change effective shutter speed... it will increase it, and from a metering perspective, 1/8000 at f2.8/400 EV Comp -2 (2 stops) should provide sufficient headroom in most circumstances.

So, why would I say that? I'm not advising the use of super high shutter speed in video production for most circumstances—we live by the 180 degree rule for film and digital video work, and there's the pesky prop shadow and strobing to watch for with these flying contraptions. The OP was concerned that he was not able to properly expose the image, even with an ND8, and upon inquiry reported that he had not tried to control exposure at all using the camera's settings. I was attempting to point out that that GoPro should be capable of producing a properly exposed image even "without" a filter, so that with an ND8 he should definitely be able to at least keep it from blowing out with a forced higher shutter speed via EV Comp. So, if you leave your filter set back at the studio, you can have the confidence that you can still get a properly exposed image.

Now if what I'm saying here is incorrect then please help me out. Otherwise, I hope this expansion on my first post serves its intended purpose—pointing out what the camera is capable of achieving all by itself.

[Aside: IMHO it's also important to consider that as a means of controlling exposure, filters are no panacea. Any time you add glass you are degrading the image (sharpness, resolution, loss of color neutrality, IR contamination), and with more aggressive the filtration there is a greater potential for some IQ issues to pop up.]

BTW, nothing I've said here makes me a good photographer. I have a degree in photography and use filters for technical reasons and to creative effect every day on the job. But, I think it could be said that I am still new to photography. More importantly, I have only begun to explore GoPro, and feel fortunate today to be able to do that with your help. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl