Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

Thanks erikgraham for the 4K tips. I posted in the main Solo forum an example of 4K video using your suggestions. Those settings along with GoPro studio fisheye removal and Adobe Premiere Pro work nicely for me.

Reactions: erikgraham
can we please get some info on best protune settings for single photos? There are a few only but they do not pertain to aerial photogrpahy.

I have kept my WB auto, Gopro colors, spot meter off, sharpness low, iso 400 exposure comp 0 and I use a ND 2 stop or 3 stop filter.

This is a great sticky thread. I hope everyone doesn't mind if I add some info. A while ago I started looking into color grading GoPro protune footage. Right now I use DaVinci Resolve Lite, a powerful free application. I found a good tutorial on grading protune footage, and also using a LUT to quickly grade GP protune footage. I hope you don't mind if I post the tutorial here. I'm in no way involved with these people or their website, other then I watch their tutorials and learn. If you sign up for their email, they will let give you a free LUT for GoPro footage.

This one is DaVinci Resolve
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This one is Final Cut X

This one is for Premier CC (haven't watched this one yet)

Also the new version Davinci resolve 12 has video editing now as a part of it. It is a free program and very powerful.

If I'm not allowed to post this,mthen please moderator remove.

This is a great sticky thread. I hope everyone doesn't mind if I add some info. A while ago I started looking into color grading GoPro protune footage. Right now I use DaVinci Resolve Lite, a powerful free application. I found a good tutorial on grading protune footage, and also using a LUT to quickly grade GP protune footage. I hope you don't mind if I post the tutorial here. I'm in no way involved with these people or their website, other then I watch their tutorials and learn. If you sign up for their email, they will let give you a free LUT for GoPro footage.

This one is DaVinci Resolve

This one is Final Cut X

This one is for Premier CC (haven't watched this one yet)

Also the new version Davinci resolve 12 has video editing now as a part of it. It is a free program and very powerful.

If I'm not allowed to post this,mthen please moderator remove.
Your post is 1000% fine and appropriate. Don't worry one bit about that. I always meant to circle back to this sticky to add more info on color correction/grading, but I haven't had the time.

I use the full version of resolve 12 and it is indeed great, but probably far to complex for most users. I do not like Resolve's NLE (timeline editor). It's coming along, but for now I prefer to do the editing in Final Cut (or Premiere), then take the footage into Resolve for color correction if needed, then bring it back into Final Cut to add effects, titles, and do final tweaks.

Anyway, what you posted is a good selection of videos to get folks started. For Resolve, I also recommend looking at Denver Riddle's tutorials.

can we please get some info on best protune settings for single photos? There are a few only but they do not pertain to aerial photogrpahy.

I have kept my WB auto, Gopro colors, spot meter off, sharpness low, iso 400 exposure comp 0 and I use a ND 2 stop or 3 stop filter.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been off working too much.

Unfortunately I can't give you much advice on the best settings for photos. I simply haven't done it enough. I think it's safe to assume that shooting Protune with all settings as flat as possible is the best. You want your GoPro to do the least amount of processing to your image as possible. When you bring your photos into Lightroom or Photoshop you will be able to do a much better job making those adjustments yourself.

Therefore I would NOT use your settings as you described them. WB native, color flat (or raw) on older GoPros. WB native.

I have been looking for this a long time, Hope it's right?

Lens Correction for GoPro hero 4.

For use in all Video or Picture programs that needs Lens Correction for the standard GoPro hero 4 lens.
Now, you don't need to buy a new "Non-Fish Eye" Lens!

1080 - Medium (-22)
1080 - Narrow (-16)
1080 - SuperView (-40)
1080 - Wide (-28)
1440 - Wide (-32)
2.7K - Medium (-23)
2.7K - Wide (-29)
2.7K Cinema - Medium (-22)
2.7K Cinema - Wide (-31)
4K - Wide (-29)
4K Cinema - Wide (-30)
720 - Medium (-22)
720 - Narrow (-11)
720 - SuperView (-30)
720 - Wide (-28)
960 - Wide (-31)
WVGA - Wide (-27)

Reactions: Rycoh
Do you feel like the 3.97mm is as sharp as the stock lens?
I haven't had enough time to shoot and evaluate the results, but when I was putting together the video above, with all 3 on my screen in 4K, it did seem to me that the 3.97 was sharper than the 4.35, and at least as sharp as the stock lens. But I was working quickly off a laptop, and I was mainly interested in the difference in the field of view. In particular I wanted to see if I could get the legs or arms into the video frame on the wider 3.97 - thus the fast aggressive flying.

At some point, if I ever get the time, I will shoot another video to compare quality and color in addition to FOV.

Here is a video shot with the Peau 4.35 mm lens:

Blurring added in post - lens shoots in focus at all distances.

Last edited:
I was using the same settings, but the feedback has high latency liveview in 2.7, then reduced it to 1080 / 60fps / rest the same but medium sharpness. And I'm very satisfied with the image achieved in post, comparing with the gopro auto setting.

For night video, what do you recomendo to get te less noisy image with the best color look?

I was using the same settings, but the feedback has high latency liveview in 2.7, then reduced it to 1080 / 60fps / rest the same but medium sharpness. And I'm very satisfied with the image achieved in post, comparing with the gopro auto setting.

For night video, what do you recomendo to get te less noisy image with the best color look?
My one and only solution for noise in low light video is to use the Neat plugin. Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video
Examples: Neat Video :: filtration examples

It's not free, but it's cheap considering what it does. So called "professional" noise removal software is much more expensive - and not as good as Neat.

As for settings, I would switch to 24 frames per second to allow the shutter to stay open for the longest possible amount of time. I'd keep the ISO as low as possible to reduce noise, but I'd certainly experiment with something over 400. Aside from that, I'm not sure there is much you can do. Maybe try upping EV comp also. I still haven't gotten around to figuring out night settings for a GoPro (I just don't have a need). I hope someone who has eventually posts in here.

What a fantastic, informative thread to read! Thank you Erik

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela