Solo GPS Rev A / Rev B Availability... Official

I just got my Solo after thanksgiving and didn't realize that I would need the V2 shield until today. I would like to buy one, but would really rather not spend $30 now that the coupon is expired. Any chance there might be a new coupon or other options? Just curious because I also bought the R11e cards (x2) and ALFA panels today and I'm feeling a little bit over spendy on my Solo ATM.

Loving this forum BTW! Great stuff...

I just got my Solo after thanksgiving and didn't realize that I would need the V2 shield until today. I would like to buy one, but would really rather not spend $30 now that the coupon is expired. Any chance there might be a new coupon or other options? Just curious because I also bought the R11e cards (x2) and ALFA panels today and I'm feeling a little bit over spendy on my Solo ATM.

Loving this forum BTW! Great stuff...
Welcome to the forum, sputnik378. I think other than upgrading your gps, the best thing you can do for the stock gps is to get the 3DR upgraded shield. Even at $30 it is a good investment. It made a world of difference for both my Solo's. As for getting another discount code, maybe get on the chat line with 3DR and ask them. Maybe you will get lucky. Good luck to you.

Reactions: SARDG
Just an update on something we were all debating before: wether or not you could tell if a unit had a Rev A or Rev B GPS by looking at the serial number.
It was determined that the only units that had Rev B were those with the preinstalled gimbal, which made sense because they might as well change it out while they had it open to install the gimbal. However, during the crazy sales, I picked up another Solo from Best Buy and when I received it at home, I opened it up and noticed a few differences between my original Rev A and this new one.
First, the motors had their CW/CCW labels on the sides of the motors, basically wrapping the motor as opposed to the stickers on top of the motors.
Second, the serial number was in fact different. The Rev A version I have has a number that beings as S111A5(other numbers here). However, the new one I received, with no preinstalled gimbal, is S111A5B(other numbers here).
In my excitement, I ordered another later and got another S111A5A(other numbers here) and this too had a Rev B GPS installed. Motor labels again wrapped around the side of the motors.
Then or course was the super backpack sale and that too was a S111A5A(other numbers here) but this only had a Rev A GPS installed. The motors also had labels on the top of the housing. I took it back.
So, I found that if you see a 'B' in the serial number of your Solo, then you're one of the lucky ones to get a Rev B GPS. If you get one with two 'A' in the serial number, then check the motor labels before taking the top off and you'll have a good idea of what you got.

Just an update on something we were all debating before: wether or not you could tell if a unit had a Rev A or Rev B GPS by looking at the serial number.
It was determined that the only units that had Rev B were those with the preinstalled gimbal, which made sense because they might as well change it out while they had it open to install the gimbal. However, during the crazy sales, I picked up another Solo from Best Buy and when I received it at home, I opened it up and noticed a few differences between my original Rev A and this new one.
First, the motors had their CW/CCW labels on the sides of the motors, basically wrapping the motor as opposed to the stickers on top of the motors.
Second, the serial number was in fact different. The Rev A version I have has a number that beings as S111A5(other numbers here). However, the new one I received, with no preinstalled gimbal, is S111A5B(other numbers here).
In my excitement, I ordered another later and got another S111A5A(other numbers here) and this too had a Rev B GPS installed. Motor labels again wrapped around the side of the motors.
Then or course was the super backpack sale and that too was a S111A5A(other numbers here) but this only had a Rev A GPS installed. The motors also had labels on the top of the housing. I took it back.
So, I found that if you see a 'B' in the serial number of your Solo, then you're one of the lucky ones to get a Rev B GPS. If you get one with two 'A' in the serial number, then check the motor labels before taking the top off and you'll have a good idea of what you got.
Thanks for the information. My Solo's SN starts with S111A5(numbers) and has Rev A GPS.
Could you please post a picture of the labels of the motors of your Solo with SN S111A5B(numbers), i.e. with Rev B GPS.

Roger that, I wonder if they upgraded the bearings....and this is the identifier.
Doubt it! What is the case with the bearings? I haven't read anything on the forums for bad motor bearing on Solo.
P.S. Please excuse me for posting something off topic.

What is the case with the bearings? I haven't read anything on the forums for bad motor bearing on Solo.
I guess you haven't searched. What appeared to be lack of lubrication was one issue found. And then bearing quality came into question when people were balancing motors and props. Chinese bearings are just...chinese bearings.... replace with EZO or NMB bearings and you'll understand.

It was an interesting find from Healthyfatboy, was just curious if it was an upgrade to the motor.

Just an update on something we were all debating before: wether or not you could tell if a unit had a Rev A or Rev B GPS by looking at the serial number....
...So, I found that if you see a 'B' in the serial number of your Solo, then you're one of the lucky ones to get a Rev B GPS. If you get one with two 'A' in the serial number, then check the motor labels before taking the top off and you'll have a good idea of what you got.
...or just pop the top over the GPS board and if it's a green board, it's Rev A, if it's black, it's Rev B. That's unmistakable.

Alright, here are the pictures. I only took the first part of the serial number to show what it looks like.
Yes, if you pop the top off the GPS board, that's another way to find it but if you have your pick at the local Best Buy, it's easier to check this way as it doesn't require opening it.2016-12-16 23.08.28.jpg 2016-12-16 23.08.21.jpg 2016-12-16 23.08.16.jpg

Reactions: RichWest
I guess you haven't searched. What appeared to be lack of lubrication was one issue found. And then bearing quality came into question when people were balancing motors and props. Chinese bearings are just...chinese bearings.... replace with EZO or NMB bearings and you'll understand.

It was an interesting find from Healthyfatboy, was just curious if it was an upgrade to the motor.
Excuse my ignorance! I have read on the forums about oiling the bearings, but not changing them. Is it a hard job to do? Probbably I need to disasemble the motor pads and the motors themselves? Isn't it a better approach to change the entire motors once the bearings start to make problems (vibrations, more noise, etc.)?

Reactions: RichWest
Alright, here are the pictures. I only took the first part of the serial number to show what it looks like.
Yes, if you pop the top off the GPS board, that's another way to find it but if you have your pick at the local Best Buy, it's easier to check this way as it doesn't require opening it.View attachment 4730 View attachment 4731 View attachment 4732
Thanks! Motors look the same, just the labels are on the sides, not on top of the motors.

Is it a hard job to do? Probbably I need to disasemble the motor pads and the motors themselves? Isn't it a better approach to change the entire motors once the bearings start to make problems (vibrations, more noise, etc.)?
We are way off topic, but the answer is yes to all your questions. Again, several previous threads discuss your questions.

Ignorance is bliss...;)

Is there any serial numbers on the outer box itself to see if it has revisionB in it?
I plan to pick one up at BestBuy this week..

I picked up my Solo from Best Buy last week and my serial # has the "B" in it. I'm assuming that means I have the Rev. B board, however, I've decided to bypass the whole matter by ordering an mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N upgrade to gain access to GLONASS. I also figured, "why stop there?" and just ordered the Solo GPS Shield V2 from 3DR.

It felt kind of "spendy" to tack this expense onto a drone I haven't even taken out of the box yet, but I figured it'd be well worth the cost if it improves stability and cuts down on acquisition time.

Quick questions - is it OK to use the 3DR V2 Shield with the mRobotics board? Has anyone else tried this setup? Is it still necessary to use a cardboard spacer with the 3DR V2 Shield?

Last edited:
Hi Kevin, and welcome. Yes, the 3DR v2 Shield will work fine with the mRobotics gps upgrade. They even say it is recommended to use the shield, but it is not required. I have the mRobotics upgrades on both of my birds, and I use the shield on both as well. They work great. Also, please remember to download and study the Solo manual. It will help you a lot. Welcome aboard, and fly safe.

Reactions: Whisky56
Hi Kevin, and welcome. Yes, the 3DR v2 Shield will work fine with the mRobotics gps upgrade. They even say it is recommended to use the shield, but it is not required. I have the mRobotics upgrades on both of my birds, and I use the shield on both as well. They work great. Also, please remember to download and study the Solo manual. It will help you a lot. Welcome aboard, and fly safe.

Hey, Chuck, thanks for the welcome. I reviewed the installation video for the mRobotics board after I posted my questions and forgot to ask whether it's still necessary to place the cardboard spacer using the 3DR V2 Shield. I think my post edit came after your reply. Did you use the cardboard spacer in your installations?

Also, can you point me to a link for the Solo manual online? Does it differ from the materials included in the box?

Again, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I've already found some great info here and I can tell it will be very useful in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl