Solo GPS Rev A / Rev B Availability... Official

No I didn't use the cardboard mod. I never really used it, as I didn't have too many problems with my gps, and with cardboard being prone to moisture problems, I just didn't use it. You won't need it with the 3DR shield, anyway. You also want to learn to use the search function on the forum. It is the magnifying glass in the upper right of the page. A ton of past posts can be brought up to answer a lot of your questions. It is great. As for the manual link, here you go 3DR Solo User Manual I recommend you download it and keep it handy. Good luck.

I picked up my Solo from Best Buy last week and my serial # has the "B" in it. I'm assuming that means I have the Rev. B board, however, I've decided to bypass the whole matter by ordering an mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N upgrade to gain access to GLONASS. I also figured, "why stop there?" and just ordered the Solo GPS Shield V2 from 3DR.

It felt kind of "spendy" to tack this expense onto a drone I haven't even taken out of the box yet, but I figured it'd be well worth the cost if it improves stability and cuts down on acquisition time.

Quick questions - is it OK to use the 3DR V2 Shield with the mRobotics board? Has anyone else tried this setup? Is it still necessary to use a cardboard spacer with the 3DR V2 Shield?

Like most of the members of this site, we always what the best for our drones,the M8N GPS is the best for the drone.
Why Fly with only 6 - 10 satellites when you can have 16 - 22 satellites and a DHOP of 0.6. Also GPS lock is done within 30 seconds from cold start. The install is simple.

Hey, Chuck, thanks for the welcome. I reviewed the installation video for the mRobotics board after I posted my questions and forgot to ask whether it's still necessary to place the cardboard spacer using the 3DR V2 Shield. I think my post edit came after your reply. Did you use the cardboard spacer in your installations?

Also, can you point me to a link for the Solo manual online? Does it differ from the materials included in the box?

Again, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I've already found some great info here and I can tell it will be very useful in the future.
Cardboard not needed with mRo and v2 shield, some would say 'not recommended'. You can Google so many things relating to 3DR Solo, including the Manual.

Hey, Chuck, thanks for the welcome. I reviewed the installation video for the mRobotics board after I posted my questions and forgot to ask whether it's still necessary to place the cardboard spacer using the 3DR V2 Shield. I think my post edit came after your reply. Did you use the cardboard spacer in your installations?

Also, can you point me to a link for the Solo manual online? Does it differ from the materials included in the box?

Again, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I've already found some great info here and I can tell it will be very useful in the future.
The cardboard mod is for the copper Shield V1. Its role is to prevent the electronics from contacts with the copper shielding not to get any shortages.
Bottom line - you do not need the cardboard mod if you install the GPS Shield V2.
Hope this helps.

The cardboard mod is for the copper Shield V1. Its role is to prevent the electronics from contacts with the copper shielding not to get any shortages.

Yup, no longer needed, and it's questionable if shorting was ever a problem given that the copper foil shield has a fairly thick, tough adhesive film on the GPS-facing side:

foil.jpg

Thanks for the info on the mRo GPS NEO-M8N board/Solo V2 shield. I thought the cardboard might have been required as a kind of stand-off but obviously direct contact with the board is the way to go.

Have any of you mortised the V2 shield to accommodate the auxiliary i2c port on the board? And, speaking of that port, has anyone put it to use? If so, how?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421