Solo GPS Rev A / Rev B Availability... Official

So, is it not possible to get a GPS shield now? I found one works fine but my other I'm having issues with and want to try a shield.

Yes, as some versions of M8Ns are ~30 bucks. Not plug-n-play though; have to mod connectors/cables with those.

I'm going to say No, $80 is a fine.

If your paying $30 it more then likely counterfeit (yes their are counterfeit ones out their) Even HobbyKing which is a cheap place to buy things sells M8N at $40 and they have buying buy to bring the price down.

Last edited:

If your paying $30 it more then likely counterfeit (yes their are counterfeit ones out their) Even HobbyKing which is a cheap place to buy things sells M8U at $40 and they have buying buy to bring the price down.
I knew someone would mention that. I have one of the lower cost units sitting here, but never installed it or tried to hook it up to u-center. Got it at Amazon, and it 'looks' real enough... but in the end, it was just easier and faster to order and use the PnP unit.

If your paying $30 it more then likely counterfeit (yes their are counterfeit ones out their) Even HobbyKing which is a cheap place to buy things sells M8U at $40 and they have buying buy to bring the price down.

Yea, I'm fine with cheap, potentially counterfeit units on my cheap, small DIY drones, but when I'm flying something as heavy and (formerly) expensive as the Solo, I have no problem investing in a higher quality GPS. I have several of those RTFQ M8Ns, and they work fine for what they are, but I'd never trust the Solo to one.

Yea, I'm fine with cheap, potentially counterfeit units on my cheap, small DIY drones, but when I'm flying something as heavy and (formerly) expensive as the Solo, I have no problem investing in a higher quality GPS...
Do the allegedly 'countereit' units not work at all, not work as well, or work - but in perhaps an unstable or less sesitive fashion? I would have thought - not work at all. If you're going to bootleg something, just make a tiny little brick and be done with it.

Must now try to find time to install my $30 unit to check it out.

Do the allegedly 'countereit' units not work at all, not work as well, or work - but in perhaps an unstable or less sesitive fashion? I would have thought - not work at all. If you're going to bootleg something, just make a tiny little brick and be done with it.

Must now try to find time to install my $30 unit to check it out.

I tested several a while back - the stock Solo 7N, a Drotek M8N and one of the $30 RTFQ M8Ns. Hooked them all up to a FC and watched the position as displayed in Mission Planner. The RTFQ drifted way more than either of the others, with the Drotek M8N modestly less than stock. And I bricked an RTFQ M8N by attempting to update it to the latest Ublox firmware - using the same method that has worked with every genuine Ublox M8N I have, so that's probably a good indication that it's a clone/counterfeit unit.

I'm not necessarily criticizing them, they do work and for the money, they work pretty well. I have no problem trusting a small practice/play quad to one, Just not something as big/heavy as the Solo, and which is carrying a $400 camera.

Reactions: RichWest
Is 80 bucks high for a GPS module?
It is really, the M8N that's coming out for the Pixhawk 2 will be cheaper, it has an external SAW and LNA, a larger ground plate and also it is in a housing, so with that in mind it's a little on the high side. Having said that it is plug and play and will sell less units with being Solo specific so it's not a major gripe.

I'm hoping to get my hands on the Pixhawk 2 GPS and I'll try and mod it on the Solo and then I'll report back.

Reactions: SARDG
Yea, I'm fine with cheap, potentially counterfeit units on my cheap, small DIY drones, but when I'm flying something as heavy and (formerly) expensive as the Solo, I have no problem investing in a higher quality GPS. I have several of those RTFQ M8Ns, and they work fine for what they are, but I'd never trust the Solo to one.
I put one in my Solo almost a year ago and have had no problems with it. It is much more accurate than the stock GPS, acquires a good lock in under a minute, and 20 sats shortly after becoming airborne.

I put one in my Solo almost a year ago and have had no problems with it. It is much more accurate than the stock GPS, acquires a good lock in under a minute, and 20 sats shortly after becoming airborne.

I have a few in various DIY quads, and I agree, they've worked without problem, that's why I've made a point of saying I'm not criticizing them. I just feel better with a higher quality unit in my Solo.

Just got my GPS Shield v2 yesterday. Isntalled in on Solo with Rev A Board (green one). To be honest, I do not see any difference - 10-12 sats, HDOP 0.8-0.9 in less than a minute with both Shields (open playground with no WiFi congestion). Solo cannot lock a single sat at home with both shields. Maybe my GPS Shield V1 (Copper ver.) was still woring OK. Probably it has problems when the copper metal touches the chips on the board (which was not my case)
Still have not decided on Ublox M8N as it will void my warranty.

P.S. Off topic -- I got 1150 metes (sorry for the guys in USA) range (on 30 m. altitude) with stock antennas on the open ground with no WiFi congestion and still Solo did not hit RTH. 30 min. later on the same open ground but in another direction around 500 meters away (where there were some buildings and probably some WiFi congestion) with same altitude Solo had only 1 cell coverage (-77 dmb or something like that) and almost lost connection with RC. I still have not installed my Gibal and GoPro, so what I am saying concerns only the RC connection between Solo, Controller and 3DR App (not the video feed).

Just got my GPS Shield v2 yesterday. Isntalled in on Solo with Rev A Board (green one). To be honest, I do not see any difference - 10-12 sats, HDOP 0.8-0.9 in less than a minute with both Shields (open playground with no WiFi congestion). Solo cannot lock a single sat at home with both shields. Maybe my GPS Shield V1 (Copper ver.) was still woring OK. Probably it has problems when the copper metal touches the chips on the board (which was not my case)
Still have not decided on Ublox M8N as it will void my warranty.

P.S. Off topic -- I got 1150 metes (sorry for the guys in USA) range (on 30 m. altitude) with stock antennas on the open ground with no WiFi congestion and still Solo did not hit RTH. 30 min. later on the same open ground but in another direction around 500 meters away (where there were some buildings and probably some WiFi congestion) with same altitude Solo had only 1 cell coverage (-77 dmb or something like that) and almost lost connection with RC. I still have not installed my Gibal and GoPro, so what I am saying concerns only the RC connection between Solo, Controller and 3DR App (not the video feed).
Replacing the GPS is the single best present you can give yourself (and Solo). It'll be an entirely new breed of drone.

Replacing the GPS is the single best present you can give yourself (and Solo). It'll be an entirely new breed of drone.

No doubt about that it as I read the threads. But still I may wait until the warranty expires. I do not have any GPS Iissues till now, as I fly in an open area free of Wifi congestion.

No doubt about that it as I read the threads. But still I may wait until the warranty expires. I do not have any GPS Iissues till now, as I fly in an open area free of Wifi congestion.
Which is fine - but remember that a truly secure GPS connection not only guarantees better flying but added security, i.e. much lower likelihood of losing signal (and your done).

Which is fine - but remember that a truly secure GPS connection not only guarantees better flying but added security, i.e. much lower likelihood of losing signal (and your done).

Thanks! I did understand that from the thread. I am thinking of getting one. Maybe later on when warranty expires.

Thanks! I did understand that from the thread. I am thinking of getting one. Maybe later on when warranty expires.
Solos are so cheap these days, I wasn't going to wait a year to enjoy the performance improvement. 3DR would know you used a different GPS module though - when they looked at the logs and saw 12-20+ satellites! :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea