Solo Antenna Mods

Nice work - I snapped my ufl antenna wire from the wifi card, Ive been looking for a replacement.

So if you did both front and back is this the setup you would need?
2.4 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (RHCP) IBCrazy - RangeVideo

or would you go with 2 mad mushrooms?

And just 2 of these?
Pigtail UFL to SMA Male

Thanks Lamda
Hey. I've since learned a little more about MIMO and in a nutshell, it runs better when there is a difference in the signal. So you could try one left hand and one right hand on the controller and keep Solo's antennas stock.

Actually, for convenience of space, I've put my extra controller antenna on Solo and I'm using an Alpha antenna on the controller. It's easier to pack when traveling so that's won out over getting the most range.

I use and uf.l to RP-SMA to maintain easy compatibility with existing Solo parts but use an adapter for the SMA parts that I don't use as frequently but it's all a matter of preference.

I am on the fence about replacing the stock antennas on my Solo with either the half sphere helix antennas from FPVLR, or the ITELITE panel from DBS MODS. Have any of you been using either setup for any length of time, and what would your thoughts be on them? The stock antennas seem to be all over the place for me. I went out 2700' this morning in an area with no wifi noise, and yet with moderate noise, I sometimes can only get 200' or less. I would like a little more performance across the board. Any help would sure be appreciated.
Hey, try the Alfa antennas from amazon. I only would get 1,800 feet with wifi conjestion over a rail road track area and around it in all directions. With the new ones I have solid 3 bars up to 3,000 feet away. Longest I went comfortably was 3,400 before rth. Don't waste your money on something that costs $100+ dollars when you could spend $20 for an increase of 2,000 feet easily. Probably more in your case. Past that you barely can see it if there is a tree line in front of you. Happy flying!!

Hey. I've since learned a little more about MIMO and in a nutshell, it runs better when there is a difference in the signal. So you could try one left hand and one right hand on the controller and keep Solo's antennas stock.

Actually, for convenience of space, I've put my extra controller antenna on Solo and I'm using an Alpha antenna on the controller. It's easier to pack when traveling so that's won out over getting the most range.

I use and uf.l to RP-SMA to maintain easy compatibility with existing Solo parts but use an adapter for the SMA parts that I don't use as frequently but it's all a matter of preference.
Hey Lamda Ive purchased this
REXUAV | HOME
just waiting for it to arrive - so the controller is sorted.

What would you recommend for maximum range setup on the solo itself then? packing convenience and travel aren't really concerns for me -thanks

Hey I check out your item your planning on purchasing. Those are he exact ones I use on my wifi router, I tired all my antennas that I have laying around and figured why not try the ones on my router. They do not work at all. Worse then stock for me. Just spend a little more and get the Alfa for real. You won't be disappointed

Hey I check out your item your planning on purchasing. Those are he exact ones I use on my wifi router, I tired all my antennas that I have laying around and figured why not try the ones on my router. They do not work at all. Worse then stock for me. Just spend a little more and get the Alfa for real. You won't be disappointed[/QUOTE

Really? I am thinking they should work better than the stock ones. Plus you get 360 degree coverage. Those patch antenna's you need to point in the direction of the Solo.

Depending on how you plan on flying 360 coverage is not what your looking for past 1,000 feet. Anything like that you need something directional. That antenna is perfect for wifi in the house bcuz it is 360 degree coverage in every direction. What are you looking to do with your solo is my next question? If your flying around your back yard they will work, just like the stock antennas. But if your looking for long range then try them and if they don't work at least your not out of tons of money.

360 coverage means that all the power that goes into the antenna instead of going in one direction it is essentially divided to every part. Which in turn makes it less powerful long range. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong. But those are the basics on antennas by my understand and research.

I just remembered I have some 9dbi patch antennas that I had for my breezecomm 2.4 ghz wifi days. Heck that was 17 years ago!! dang time flys

I just remembered I have some 9dbi patch antennas that I had for my breezecomm 2.4 ghz wifi days. Heck that was 17 years ago!! dang time flys
You should try those, report back what your finding are on it bcuz they look interesting. I wonder how many you could use and what the range might be.

Hey Lamda Ive purchased this
REXUAV | HOME
just waiting for it to arrive - so the controller is sorted.

What would you recommend for maximum range setup on the solo itself then? packing convenience and travel aren't really concerns for me -thanks
just ordered those also, awaiting them to arrive to test.

Are you planning on changing the antennas on your Solo to circularly polarized? Although you can mix the two (linear and circular) you lose quite a bit of dB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just gonna try out the revuav set. I had a fpvlr for my phantoms and inspire but these were a little cheaper and worth a try. If I need to I can add them to my 2.4 amp I use for my antenna tracker on my glider.

I would only use circular polarized (CP) antennas on both Tx and Rx. There is just too much signal loss by mixing the two. I'm also not sure CP antennas really help at 2.4GHz. Multipath issues decrease with frequency. Of course, I use CP exclusively on 5.8 GHz ( on my other toys).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would only use circular polarized (CP) antennas on both Tx and Rx. There is just too much signal loss by mixing the two.
Actually linear to circular loss will never exceed 3dB. Given the orientation, pitch and roll of the bird is constantly changing... choosing to take a max of 3dB, over a potential unknown of up to 20dB (cross linear loss) is not such a bad thing.

I would only use circular polarized (CP) antennas on both Tx and Rx. There is just too much signal loss by mixing the two. I'm also not sure CP antennas really help at 2.4GHz. Multipath issues decrease with frequency. Of course, I use CP exclusively on 5.8 GHz ( on my other toys).

Oh, I wanted to add that CP antennas probably don't help as much when using WiFi connection protocol. I believe there probably is some value when sending pure video - that is why IBCrazy makes his awesome antennas.
FPV folks typically use linearly polarized antennas for the 'control' link and CP ones for video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44