Questions regarding GPS Shield V2

Reaction score
1. Does anybody know what polymer is used on the V2 GPS shield and where to source it?

3DR states that it's a "high-performance EMI absorbing polymer tuned specifically to the frequencies that GPS operates at." It looks like 3M, silicon labs, etc. carry various polymers but I couldn't find much info or a source.

2. If you upgraded your GPS to the U-blox Neo M8N then you're using multiple frequencies (GPS, Glonass, and Galileo). Is the V2 shield effective at shielding EMI at the Glonass and Galileo frequencies as well or does the original copper shielding if installed properly retain an edge?

It's some type of ferrite sheet material, as it is magnetic (cynfab or user name id'd that property). It's both an absorber and reflector iirc. The 3M material isn't even close.

I found a company that makes a material that appears to fill the prescription...KITAGAWA INDUSTRIES America, Inc. - EMI/RFI shielding components. Which formula? I have no clue, as I just went ahead and bought the V2 shield...it was done.

Regarding the original V1 shielding and the card board mod. It was mentioned, by a 3DR engr., that the ideal minimum distance was 8mm gap. I believe the IMP version spacer is about 5mm and from all indication that worked fine. I built my own spacer and went with a thicker copper shielding. I got caught up in the V2 craze, which gives the same results as my original mod.

fwiw I'm flying with the stock gps module with the V2 shield w/o spacer presently. Other than the memory loss due to the battery being depleted, it works fine.

Just got my second solo today. Sure enough it is a rev a. Honestly not that big of a deal. Put a piece of card board and all is good. My rev b takes a while to find satellites. But I haven't had to go into manual mode due to losing them.

Cardboard is not doing anything. The shield 3DR sells is an RF absorbing shield. The blocks RFI from the GoPro and other things that radiate garbage and interferes with the GPS. Cardboard does not do that. And the copper shield it comes with barely does it, hence why it is being replaced with the new one.

2. If you upgraded your GPS to the U-blox Neo M8N then you're using multiple frequencies (GPS, Glonass, and Galileo). Is the V2 shield effective at shielding EMI at the Glonass and Galileo frequencies as well or does the original copper shielding if installed properly retain an edge?

That's a really good question. I ordered and plan on installing the M8N GPS this weekend and purchased the V2 shield. Now I am wondering if I should use the v2 or the original shield myself.

Glonass/Galileo/Baidu/GPS are all fairly close as far as the frequencies they use so it should be about the same. Many people have been flying the M8N in various flavors using the v2 shield without issues.

Last edited:
I installed the GPS upgrade today along with the cardboard spacer using the stock shield. At one point during flight over the swamps of Florida today, the controller was indicating 21 sats.

I installed the GPS upgrade today along with the cardboard spacer using the stock shield. At one point during flight over the swamps of Florida today, the controller was indicating 21 sats.

Can you share a picture of the shield setup? Or did you just cut out a piece of cardboard to fit?

Can you share a picture of the shield setup? Or did you just cut out a piece of cardboard to fit?
Shield and cardboard are mutually exclusive but some shield is always needed for the Solo stock GPS - not so with the cardboard.

Old shied , new shield... exactly the same custom fit. Remove one, insert another. Cardboard mod can be found by searching this forum which will likely lead you to the (extremely popular and very frequently viewed) YouTube of the mod. Or search YT itself.

We have installed m8n and 3dr shield in one of our SOLOS and it wrks perfectly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44