New solo app update

Reaction score
Has anybody tried it yet. i am at work and have not. app seems a bit different now. some new features. would love to hear peoples opinions. v. 1.2.1

Trevor.

Last edited:
There is no firmware update at the moment, the iOS app update does not need updated Solo firmware as it is only really adding the mode switching functionality which was already in Tower.

There is no firmware update at the moment, the iOS app update does not need updated Solo firmware as it is only really adding the mode switching functionality which was already in Tower.
ah ok my mistake. i was going based on it requiring a solo update.

looks like some go pro changes and stability too. we sure this isnt firmware?

It's saying that mine is up to date when I run the check for updates in the solo app so I don't think there was a firmware update. The gimbal seems to be a bit smoother but now I think there's a bug. When I try to use cable cam with the automatic tilt control, nothing happens. The screen on the controller shows that it's supposed to be moving but it won't. It works manually with the paddle control but won't work automatically with the auto tilt buttons. Auto tilt buttons work fine when out of smart shots but won't work when using a smart shot. Is anybody having that same problem?

Also I thought we were going to get full GoPro functionality not just the ability to switch been photo and video. Kinda sucks you can't adjust any of the other setting. Hopefully they get that out soon. Also my GoPro still won't turn on when I turn in Solo, I have to either push the button after the gimbal has initialized or power down, turn on GoPro then power Solo back up. Is that feature working for anybody?

Auto tilt buttons work fine when out of smart shots but won't work when using a smart shot. Is anybody having that same problem?

If I've understood what you are doing correctly, that is normal behavior. When in a smart shot like cable cam, you set the key frames at either end including the angle of the camera then you run the shot and the camera angle is directly controlled by the cable cam script so it ignores the auto tilt buttons.

There is an option in the ... menu for the cable cam to turn off the tilt control so you can do as you wish.

Also I thought we were going to get full GoPro functionality not just the ability to switch been photo and video. Kinda sucks you can't adjust any of the other setting. Hopefully they get that out soon. Also my GoPro still won't turn on when I turn in Solo, I have to either push the button after the gimbal has initialized or power down, turn on GoPro then power Solo back up. Is that feature working for anybody?

The full control is coming in the next release, the testing is almost complete now I believe.

Re turning on the GoPro, that is not an intended feature at this time as far as I am aware.

Personally my standard start up routine has always been to turn on the camera before I place Solo on the ground, so I'm not noticing this as a problem.

Reactions: Trevor
i got home and it says up to date. it was weird it was prompting me to update solo after the new app updated. oh well haha

If I've understood what you are doing correctly, that is normal behavior. When in a smart shot like cable cam, you set the key frames at either end including the angle of the camera then you run the shot and the camera angle is directly controlled by the cable cam script so it ignores the auto tilt buttons.

There is an option in the ... menu for the cable cam to turn off the tilt control so you can do as you wish.

Oh really, I didn't know that it controlled the tilt as well but I will give it a try today to see if that works. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as turning on the GoPro when powering up, I have heard several people taking about it in this forum alone. I don't see why it can turn the GoPro off when you turn off Solo but then won't power it back on when you turn it back on. Just seems kind of weird to me and definitely should be a feature that they add later. It sucks when you already have your GoPro in the gimbal and have to power down again so you don't put too much stress on the gimbal motors after it initializes, trying to push the power button for a second or two so it will turn on.

It may be possible for them to add this in a subsequent update, but I wouldn't be surprised if they need a small delay between powering up the GoPro and powering up everything else to ensure the HDMI handshaking is completed correctly.

Turing on the GoPro only needs one short press on the button. My start up process has always been to turn it on first as that seemed to give me 100% success in getting the video feed working.

Doing it before turning on the Solo also avoids any issues around gimbal motors, and distrubing Solo during the start up process.

I can see why people may want this as a feature, if you just get used to turning the camera on before you put Solo on the ground it ceases to be an issue.

Reactions: JrexT
Yes it definitely would be a good idea for a future update. Hopefully 3DR will add that and also full functionality for the GoPro because it would be so awesome to change video modes for example from 4K 30fps to 1080p 120fps without having to power down and pull the GoPro out of the gimbal. Or be able to turn on night mode when it's getting dark.

The GoPro can start right up to recording with the quikcap on when you push a button so I'm sure they will be able to work in something similar with a signal from the hdmi.

If they do this, they will not do it over HDMI, they have access directly to the HeroBus.

That sounds great to me if it works. I love my Solo so much and am so excited to see what the future brings for it. I bet they will be coming out with some awesome stuff through the Made for Solo program. Thanks for your help Mark as well with the smart shot stuff and what not, it works great now that you taught me how to work it properly.

Reactions: Mark_T
Has anybody tried it yet. i am at work and have not. app seems a bit different now. some new features. would love to hear peoples opinions. v. 1.2.1
Today I downloaded an Android OS update and the 3DR Solo and Services Apps also had updates available. I flew after the update, but didn't take note of any function changes wrt GoPro. What I did notice is that I could not send myself the flight logs. I selected support/send trouble ticket and it queued them up without giving me the option to change or add an email address. (like I have done in the past) It just sent them to 3DR once I was reconnected to my home wi-fi. It also prompted me to register my Solo which I had already done when I bought it. I can't complain about flying Solo, I've had it since July and have 16 flights, 12 with the Gimbal. Would have had more, but working and bad weather gave me few opportunities. No glitches during flight nor with GoPro/gimbal. It does take several minutes to get satellites.

hmmm
Today I downloaded an Android OS update and the 3DR Solo and Services Apps also had updates available. I flew after the update, but didn't take note of any function changes wrt GoPro. What I did notice is that I could not send myself the flight logs. I selected support/send trouble ticket and it queued them up without giving me the option to change or add an email address. (like I have done in the past) It just sent them to 3DR once I was reconnected to my home wi-fi. It also prompted me to register my Solo which I had already done when I bought it. I can't complain about flying Solo, I've had it since July and have 16 flights, 12 with the Gimbal. Would have had more, but working and bad weather gave me few opportunities. No glitches during flight nor with GoPro/gimbal. It does take several minutes to get satellites.
hmmm.

I got a quick response from 3dr. They confirmed that functionality wrt email and suggested I download log file directly from Andriod doc/file that is stored.
ah ok. thank you for advising.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso