My new Solo crashed

I have had brand-new motors fail 20 minutes after installing them. 3DR replaced the motors under warranty and when I got it back, it was acting a little funny therefore 3DR had me send it in to replace the parts that they just installed. I hope they figure this out because I would hate to see this company fold due to cheaply made pods.

I have had brand-new motors fail 20 minutes after installing them. 3DR replaced the motors under warranty and when I got it back, it was acting a little funny therefore 3DR had me send it in to replace the parts that they just installed. I hope they figure this out because I would hate to see this company fold due to cheaply made pods.
Curious as to which motor pod(s) failed.....?

I agree it's in their best interest in using high quality components. With a warranty like theirs, if it crashes we'll fix or replace, including the camera. They would want to limit the amount of bad product. I bought a used car, two times from a certain dealership. Both times I opted to purchase the extra warranty. Both times the warranty expired before I ever needed to use it. Because they sold quality used cars. I felt safe going with 3dr, because of their warranty. But if they continue to see certain parts fail, maybe they should look into higher quality parts.

I agree it's in their best interest in using high quality components. With a warranty like theirs, if it crashes we'll fix or replace, including the camera. They would want to limit the amount of bad product. I bought a used car, two times from a certain dealership. Both times I opted to purchase the extra warranty. Both times the warranty expired before I ever needed to use it. Because they sold quality used cars. I felt safe going with 3dr, because of their warranty. But if they continue to see certain parts fail, maybe they should look into higher quality parts.
I agree. I wonder if they THOUGHT the components were high quality but are now finding out they aren't.

Or did they select the parts based on price?

I don't know.:(

Run hours on tiny bearings? I think T-motor say 40 hours, but I give them a spin and feel and listen to them every flight day. If there is any noise or looseness its time to consider a change.
At some point I will
- open the motor and check the bell and magnets for foreign magnetic matter,
- clean out any rubbish (dirt/bugs) in the stator windings and check for damage to wires
- change the bearings,
- lube the new bearings (with Tri-Flow)
- check the shaft grub screws are still tight.
- re-assemble and check bell is running true and thrust washer is snug.
- rebalance the motor, and run it up and check smoothness.

I can definitely say that as a motor ages the bearings get more vibes, its measurable if you have the equipment..
I have several T-motor 3110 motors of different ages, and their vibe readings directly reflect their age.
This can be reset by doing the above.

I dont dispute that Ian, but at the same time there are just so many differences between the Solo "T-motors" and externally bought T-motors.
The T-motor 2216 V1 motors had thinner imperial (1/8") shafts and imperial sized bearings as the Solo motors currently do. In the 2216 V2 motors T-motor went metric with 4mm shafts and bigger bearings, and it makes a difference. The V2s are a sweet motor with tight smooth bearings.
Solo motor frames look very similar to Sunnysky motors, but i have also read that the T-Motor and SunnySky motors come out of the same factory, so there may be some crossover on supply as well.

I just google Tri-Flow what flavour are you using?

upload_2016-1-25_3-51-44.png
The WET oil variety.
Its awesome stuff, been around for years, very light and VERY slippery, and perfect for small bearings, skateboards, fishing reels, bikes, rc models etc.

Reactions: J R and Maddog
Update For this thread.

They shipped my new GoPro her 4 black yesterday.

Just received a shipping notice that my refurbished solo was being shipped today.

A disappointing they are sending a refurbished unit. But guess if they stand behind it like new, I'm happy.

Update For this thread.

They shipped my new GoPro her 4 black yesterday.

Just received a shipping notice that my refurbished solo was being shipped today.

A disappointing they are sending a refurbished unit. But guess if they stand behind it like new, I'm happy.
Look at it this way. A refurbished Solo is thoroughly checked by 3DR engineers here in the US. A new one is shipped direct from China and who knows what kind of QA it did or didn't go through. All things considered, i'd probably opt for a refurbished Solo over a brand new one.

Reactions: Del
Look at it this way. A refurbished Solo is thoroughly checked by 3DR engineers here in the US. A new one is shipped direct from China and who knows what kind of QA it did or didn't go through. All things considered, i'd probably opt for a refurbished Solo over a brand new one.
Awesome way to look at it.

Ok, recieved my replacement solo today. It's a refurbished unit, but can't find a scratch on it. Couple interesting things. In the box with the propellers were little clip on leg extenders, to raise it up a tad bit. Gimbal came installed, still has the clear plastic sticker part over the black cover part. Didn't have the lens hood and screw in weights included. But that's ok, as I forgot to put mine in when I sent in my crashed one. Will be dropping the gimbal just to see what HDMI cable is installed. I have a ribbon cable for it, but might fly as is and see what the video looks like before taking it apart. Also have the GPS sheild to install. That's an easy look to see if one is already there.

Curious thing. Hope I'm not jinxing myself for mentioning here but as I said, I received a refurbished solo, with gimbal pre installed. But in my shipping box was a gimbal box. I assumed it was the empty gimbal box, for the one installed on my solo. But upon closer inspection, the box contains a brand new gimbal.

Guess I have an extra for now.

Reactions: Maddog
Ok, recieved my replacement solo today. It's a refurbished unit, but can't find a scratch on it. Couple interesting things. In the box with the propellers were little clip on leg extenders, to raise it up a tad bit. Gimbal came installed, still has the clear plastic sticker part over the black cover part. Didn't have the lens hood and screw in weights included. But that's ok, as I forgot to put mine in when I sent in my crashed one. Will be dropping the gimbal just to see what HDMI cable is installed. I have a ribbon cable for it, but might fly as is and see what the video looks like before taking it apart. Also have the GPS sheild to install. That's an easy look to see if one is already there.

Curious thing. Hope I'm not jinxing myself for mentioning here but as I said, I received a refurbished solo, with gimbal pre installed. But in my shipping box was a gimbal box. I assumed it was the empty gimbal box, for the one installed on my solo. But upon closer inspection, the box contains a brand new gimbal.

Guess I have an extra for now.
Don't drop your gimbal! It might break..o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44