My new Solo crashed

Reaction score
Recieved my solo a month ago tomorrow. I'm ashamed to say, with the holidays, and work, and weather, today was my first opportunity to fly. before heading to the school yard, I did a little bench testing with my new Nexus 7. Decided to leave the nexus at home for this one and just took my iPad mini.

Headed out with 4 fully charged batteries, and fresh ones for my hero 4 black. Went to the high school down the street. They have a big area with 2 baseball diamond, a track field and a football field. I setup in right field of one of the baseball diamonds. Put solo on a level area, fired her up, acquired gps lock and engaged auto take off. Flew my first battery to about 50%, auto landed as I wanted to venture a tad further out. Changed batteries, flew the 2nd to 30% before landing. During both this flights, I tried selfi, orbit and cable cam. All without incident. I should mention, I was flying on the slowest speed setting.

Put in my 3rd battery, acquired Gps lock, auto take off. It climbs to auto take off height, and I remember I wanted to increase my speed a notch. I switch to settings and bump from slowest to 2nd to slowest (baby steps). I start to increase my altitude, to 140 feet. I was staying up around there, as it was we'll over the lights of the fields. Get to 140 feet, go to hit record on the tablet screen, when all of a sudden hear what sounds like solo going crazy. I look up in time to see it flipping around, and then plummeting 140 into center field. Pieces fly everywhere. Takes me 40 min to find my GoPro. 3 props broke, gimbal bent to hell, gps cover ejected. Front of solo cracked with wires hanging out. GoPro led screen cracked and unreadable. And this was my GoPro with the 4.35 lens installed and profile removed.

On the bright side, I found my GoPro after 30 min. While imd Don't capture the crash, my previous footage looked very vibration, jello and wobble free.

View media item 205View media item 206View media item 208View media item 209View media item 210View media item 211View media item 212View media item 207

Tro,

Horrible, Bro! Man, I feel just awful for you. You did everything right. You learned all about this thing before you ever even ordered it. I don't know of anyone that I've seen that prepared more than you did! Wow, I don't even know what to say! I guess all you can do is get the logs going to 3dr and hope that they find the culprit and make you whole. I sure hope they do. Sorry, Man.

Jerry

Reactions: Cozborn
Tro,

Horrible, Bro! Man, I feel just awful for you. You did everything right. You learned all about this thing before you ever even ordered it. I don't know of anyone that I've seen that prepared more than you did! Wow, I don't even know what to say! I guess all you can do is get the logs going to 3dr and hope that they find the culprit and make you whole. I sure hope they do. Sorry, Man.

Jerry

Thanks for the kind words. I sent logs immediately in the field and sent photos once I was back home. I built a dji f550 for my first multirotor and it did something similar. Was a motor or esc failure. This sounded exactly like that. So that's my guess. I do hope 3dr will replace. As my 30 day no questions asked ended yesterday.

Reactions: Lightfactory
Send in the logs, your description sounds potentially like a motor failure but that's only a guess.

Looking at the motor hub with dirt packed on the threads, possibly prop came off. Did you find all 4 props?

Reactions: RichWest
Looking at the motor hub with dirt packed on the threads, possibly prop came off. Did you find all 4 props?

I picked up a bunch of pieces, I'll have to look in my case to see how many I have. I was too worried about finding the GoPro. Once I found that, the GPS cover, and led cover, I stopped looking for parts. I just know, I don't think there's anything salvageable on my solo. Noticed just now the battery is cracked as well. Looks like is slammed nose first and the battery rammed everything forward before ejecting. If this isn't covered, I guess I'll just throw in the towel. I don't want to pay another $1299 for solo plus gimbal. Even if I just bought a new body, gimal and replacement motors. I couldn't trust the main board after an impact like that.

don't sweat it until you hear from 3DR
if the bird failed they will take care of it, their track record is dang good

So sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you did everything right, but lost a motor, prop or esc. Let us know 3DRs take on it.

I read here at 3drpilots, that a guy also recked his solo due to a malfunction, 3dr replaced everything & a new gopro 4.
Did you try to extract to video from the gopro?

I read here at 3drpilots, that a guy also recked his solo due to a malfunction, 3dr replaced everything & a new gopro 4.
Did you try to extract to video from the gopro?

I've been sitting here messing with the footage, unfortunately, I wasn't filming when the malfunction happen. And playing with my footage has brought a couple questions, that I'll put in a new thread.

just got an email from Ruben at 3dr. Asking for serial numbers off solo, gimbal, and controller. Plus invoice proof of purchase. Also any possible video of incident. I had previously sent the same photos posted here. Won't be able to get the serial numbers until I get home tonight.

And I had to find a copy of my invoice. I purchased on December 2 mbut didn't receive until December 7. So I wonder if I am within 30 days and if it makes any difference?

I'm wondering if I should contact B&H support?

And I had to find a copy of my invoice. I purchased on December 2 mbut didn't receive until December 7. So I wonder if I am within 30 days and if it makes any difference?

I'm wondering if I should contact B&H support?
B&H support Has EXCELLENT support. Since 3DR is asking for all this info, they may deem it covered & replace it all?

B&H support Has EXCELLENT support. Since 3DR is asking for all this info, they may deem it covered & replace it all?

I'm going to call them, just to see what they have to say. If I can go through 3dr, I'd like to. Simply because my hero 4 black was damaged and they should cover that as well. But I'll see what B&H has to say.

Just talked to B&H. They says it's a 3dr issue at this point. So fingers crossed the awesome 3dr customer service will come my way.

Submitted everything 3dr asked for....

Write up of the event
Photos
Serial numbers from my solo, controller and gimbal.
Proof of purchase from retailer.

Just received a reply that they've received all my stuff. And ask me to give them a couple days to review and try to determine the cause.

We'll see by end of week hopefully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44