My new Solo crashed

I have had one pod esc fail on my thrust tester when i was doing the prop testing a few months ago. It didnt just stop, it is intermittently losing power and at times 'pulsing', which is indicative of a single FET failing.
In the air this would cause bursts of uncontrollable yaw and diagonal tipping toward the faulty pod. I have not flown this pod, it was bought off eBay for experimentation. I intend to fix it and report the results here for anyone who is interested (its one of the jobs in the queue)
I read about these motor pod failures and I wonder how many of them had previously had a prop strike event, or a bearing failure or seizure, because I think these are the two main reasons that will lead to a pod failure.
I dont want to overstate the problem, and Im not criticizing the manufacturer - they are doing an amazing job at customer service and taking care of customers with these issues.
Put me on the list of those "wanting to know"....sooner rather than later....

How many hours would you say bearings would be due for changing after replacing the stock ones?
You mentioned you take time to maintain your motors- could you tell us what you do?

Run hours on tiny bearings? I think T-motor say 40 hours, but I give them a spin and feel and listen to them every flight day. If there is any noise or looseness its time to consider a change.
At some point I will
- open the motor and check the bell and magnets for foreign magnetic matter,
- clean out any rubbish (dirt/bugs) in the stator windings and check for damage to wires
- change the bearings,
- lube the new bearings (with Tri-Flow)
- check the shaft grub screws are still tight.
- re-assemble and check bell is running true and thrust washer is snug.
- rebalance the motor, and run it up and check smoothness.

Maybe regular motor balancing would show up a suspect motor long before it fails?
I can definitely say that as a motor ages the bearings get more vibes, its measurable if you have the equipment..
I have several T-motor 3110 motors of different ages, and their vibe readings directly reflect their age.
This can be reset by doing the above.

The motors in the Solo are unbadged T-motors made specifically for the Solo, T-Motor make decent motors (they're the only brand I'd buy). 3DR wouldn't cut corners with motors as it's not in their interest to do so given they're replacing gear broken as a result.
I dont dispute that Ian, but at the same time there are just so many differences between the Solo "T-motors" and externally bought T-motors.
The T-motor 2216 V1 motors had thinner imperial (1/8") shafts and imperial sized bearings as the Solo motors currently do. In the 2216 V2 motors T-motor went metric with 4mm shafts and bigger bearings, and it makes a difference. The V2s are a sweet motor with tight smooth bearings.
Solo motor frames look very similar to Sunnysky motors, but i have also read that the T-Motor and SunnySky motors come out of the same factory, so there may be some crossover on supply as well.

Reactions: Maddog and RichWest
I think 40 hours is precautionary maintenance for the intended application. I have over 150 hours from another RTF quad and there is no indication that it has changed performance since new. The only maintenance I've ever performed is blowing out the motor with 100psi compressed air.

It's very likely 3DR purchased the Sunny Sky motor design and had T-Motor build... So everyone could be correct.

I think 40 hours is precautionary maintenance for the intended application. I have over 150 hours from another RTF quad and there is no indication that it has changed performance since new. The only maintenance I've ever performed is blowing out the motor with 100psi compressed air.

It's very likely 3DR purchased the Sunny Sky motor design and had T-Motor build... So everyone could be correct.
Yep, agreed on both points.
The 40 hours is indicative only. But T-motor do mention that bearings are a consumable part.

Sorry to hear about your bird, Troiano. I agree with the theory of a motor pod failure, since it was audible to you on the ground before going down. My fingers are crossed for you that 3DR comes through, and gets you back in the air soon. Good luck.

Run hours on tiny bearings? I think T-motor say 40 hours, but I give them a spin and feel and listen to them every flight day. If there is any noise or looseness its time to consider a change.
At some point I will
- clean out any rubbish (dirt/bugs) in the stator windings and check for damage to wires
- change the bearings,

I can definitely say that as a motor ages the bearings get more vibes, its measurable if you have the equipment..
I have several T-motor 3110 motors of different ages, and their vibe readings directly reflect their age.
This can be reset by doing the above.

I dont dispute that Ian, but at the same time there are just so many differences between the Solo "T-motors" and externally bought T-motors.
The T-motor 2216 V1 motors had thinner imperial (1/8") shafts and imperial sized bearings as the Solo motors currently do. In the 2216 V2 motors T-motor went metric with 4mm shafts and bigger bearings, and it makes a difference. The V2s are a sweet motor with tight smooth bearings.
Solo motor frames look very similar to Sunnysky motors, but i have also read that the T-Motor and SunnySky motors come out of the same factory, so there may be some crossover on supply as well.

Thanks Roland, great info. Think I will start a service check on my quad asap.
1/ motor check
2/ bearing check
What other service checks would you recomend?

Thanks Roland, great info. Think I will start a service check on my quad asap.
1/ motor check
2/ bearing check
What other service checks would you recomend?
While I think its prudent to check your motors and props, I wouldnt be going too overboard with a quad this small.
Just keep an eye on things that spin and keep everything in good working order.

Sorry @Troiano27, this thread has gone way off topic.

Sorry @Troiano27, this thread has gone way off topic.

Don't be. Great info. I'm sorry that information is stuck on this thread and will be hard for others to find in the future. I was sitting here wondering if I googled, would I find a video tutorial on taking a motor apart and changing the bearings?

On a side note. Recieved my RMA number. Now waiting on a member of customer service to contact me with return shipping labels.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R
Good to hear is all getting sorted.

With regard to things lost in threads, the owners of the forum dont want to split up the forum into relevant sections so it all gets lost in one big box of 'discussion'.
Just have to rely on the search function to weed out the good stuff.

@RolandS888 would you have a link, or size information on replacement bearings for the solo motors? Just watched a couple videos on changing bearings. Always like to be prepared and would like to add some to my tool box.

Are you also changing clips with bearings or re-using same?

I have changed out my motors for other T-motors, but @RichWest was changing bearings.
I will be doing bearing changes on the stock motors at some stage in the future.

Yes, I know RolandS888, thank you. You done awesome and very usefull job for all Solo community. Only wanted to ask when people usually changing motors bearings, they also changing clips or re-using same. And if yes: where to get them (new clips) ;)

Are you also changing clips with bearings or re-using same?
I'd recommend both the clips and thrust washer be replaced, both are cheap items. Besides, I'm fairly certain you'll mangle one or more of the existing clips during removal.

I tried to source actual NMB bearings, worlds largest bearing manufacture, but distributors selling them are interested in OEM business rather than our 8 count sale.

Whichever (AVID?!?) brand I bought appear to be better than original or that I assembled them with less shaft play by replacing the thrust washer. I can't recall who said it, maybe Roland, but "you're changing out cheap chinese bearings with cheap chinese bearings...."

The thread Roland linked to has all the part numbers for the bearings, thrust washers and cir-clips.

Reactions: Nerius
Yes, I know RolandS888, thank you. You done awesome and very usefull job for all Solo community. Only wanted to ask when people usually changing motors bearings, they also changing clips or re-using same. And if yes: where to get them (new clips) ;)
Ah I see.
If they are ok, I reuse them, be careful removing them, they tend to go 'ping' and they are gone.
For t-motors, you can buy them as spares.
Not too sure about the stock motors, those clips might be of SunnySky origin, they are definitely 1/8" in any case.

Reactions: Nerius
Solo is packed up and taking to fedex for return, in the morning. They are requiring I return the broken GoPro. Guess I'll get the 3.97 lens installed in the new one.

3dr has been great so far. Looking forward to getting a working unit again. If I had any complaint, and believe me I don't. It's that I get an email, respond and it takes them a day to respond. But I'm one person and they are a big company who have more then just me to take care of.

Reactions: Maddog and Del
At some point I will:

- change the bearings,
And when you do, I hope you produce a tutorial video!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44