My new Solo crashed

Just received an email from 3dr. Seems motor pod 4 failed at 37 meters. They're starting the RMA process to replace everything.

Thank you 3dr.

They are replacing my GoPro as well. Unfortunately I'm SOL on the fact is was my modified GoPro. No word yet on whether I have to send the GoPro in as well. I'd like to keep the lens off it, and maybe install in my new one. Then send in for profile removal. I'll say this. I got a free GoPro hero 4 silver recently. I'll be using that until I'm confident solo won't fall out of the sky again.

That's the one thing about this experience. My confidence is shot. It will take me a good number of flights to get it back again. I was just getting use to flying far enough away that I can't hear solo anymore. I'm happy it was only 20 feet away from me when I'm it happen and not 300 yards over some hills.

Last edited:
Just received an email from 3dr. Seems motor pod 4 failed at 37 meters. They're starting the RMA process to replace everything.

Thank you 3dr.

They are replacing my GoPro as well. Unfortunately I'm SOL on the fact is was my modified GoPro. No word yet on whether I have to send the GoPro in as well. I'd like to keep the lens off it, and maybe install in my new one. Then send in for profile removal. I'll say this. I got a free GoPro hero 4 silver recently. I'll be using that until I'm confident solo won't fall out of the sky again.

That's the one thing about this experience. My confidence is shot. It will take me a good number of flights to get it back again. I was just getting use to flying far enough away that I can't hear solo anymore. I'm happy it was only 20 feet away from me when I'm it happen and not 300 yards over some hills.
Great news. Definitely save the lens and swap into the new camera.

My confidence in 3dr is high, most uva company's are going to have some failure from pods, GPS, or another component, but having a good company like 3dr to even replace gopro is un heard of.
I know with the white guys, you would argue for weeks & if they would replace it * 6 week* wait & not get the gopro replaced.

You can rate it the way you see fit, but for me, 3dr is it.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
My confidence in 3dr is high, most uva company's are going to have some failure from pods, GPS, or another component, but having a good company like 3dr to even replace gopro is un heard of.
I know with the white guys, you would argue for weeks & if they would replace it * 6 week* wait & not get the gopro replaced.

You can rate it the way you see fit, but for me, 3dr is it.

Oh, no,I think I didn't make myself clear. I meant my confidence in flying and not having something fall out of the sky is shot. Not my faith in 3dr as a company. They've been rick solid so far.

I suffered a fly away (from the other company) a year or so ago. I was lucky enough to talk my home owners insurance into covering it (minus my deductible). Rebuilt the same style of craft (with said companies flight controller in it again) only test flew it a few times then got busy with a number of things. I sold of that gear to help finance my solo purchase. So my next time out really flying was with my new solo this past weekend and I had a bad motor pod. 3dr has been great so far. I didn't mean anything negative by them. I just mean my personal confidence in being out flying is a tad shot right now. I'll just hop back on and stick to empty fields until I'm back to where I feel comfortable again. Bricking my quad is one thing. But I don't want to damage someone else property or a person.

Oh, no,I think I didn't make myself clear. I meant my confidence in flying and not having something fall out of the sky is shot. Not my faith in 3dr as a company. They've been rick solid so far.

I suffered a fly away (from the other company) a year or so ago. I was lucky enough to talk my home owners insurance into covering it (minus my deductible). Rebuilt the same style of craft (with said companies flight controller in it again) only test flew it a few times then got busy with a number of things. I sold of that gear to help finance my solo purchase. So my next time out really flying was with my new solo this past weekend and I had a bad motor pod. 3dr has been great so far. I didn't mean anything negative by them. I just mean my personal confidence in being out flying is a tad shot right now. I'll just hop back on and stick to empty fields until I'm back to where I feel comfortable again. Bricking my quad is one thing. But I don't want to damage someone else property or a person.
Tro,

Sorry for your experience, and happy to see 3DR step up. Great story, and lets all try to gain experience and wisdom from it.

I have been flying RC stuff for years, crashed many a plane, and have had the white drone plummet from the sky. So far no crashes with my Solo. These things can fail, of course, and we should always be aware that it can happen at any time (thus do not fly over crowds), however, for the most part, they are pretty reliable.

You seem the cautious type and thats good, but my suggestion is to get right back out there and have fun. After a bunch of conservative flights you will regain your confidence. After all, you did nothing wrong, it was the machine.

I hope you take back to the skies and start enjoying this great hobby!

Mike

Guys, you should ALL be concerned when hearing about these motor failures. The same thing happened to me after probably less than 6 hrs gentle flight time. 3DR told me the motor failed due to a mfg defect by their motor supplier. My confidence in the Solo motors not failing is shot as well. Just how many motors have this defect? Is there going to be a motor replacement campaign? Extend warranties to 2yrs? Recommended motor replacement after so many hrs?

In the coming years I anticipate hexacopters phasing out quads for the safety and recovery factor when a motor fails. I really hope 3DR comes out with the Solo 2 as a hex to compete with the new Yuneec Typhoon H. I just got my FAA 333 Exemption to fly commercially and I'm not excited to fly the Solo or really any quad for this.

Guys, you should ALL be concerned when hearing about these motor failures. The same thing happened to me after probably less than 6 hrs gentle flight time. 3DR told me the motor failed due to a mfg defect by their motor supplier. My confidence in the Solo motors not failing is shot as well. Just how many motors have this defect? Is there going to be a motor replacement campaign? Extend warranties to 2yrs? Recommended motor replacement after so many hrs?

In the coming years I anticipate hexacopters phasing out quads for the safety and recovery factor when a motor fails. I really hope 3DR comes out with the Solo 2 as a hex to compete with the new Yuneec Typhoon H. I just got my FAA 333 Exemption to fly commercially and I'm not excited to fly the Solo or really any quad for this.

We fly commercially in Canada under a SFOC. Had one of our solos crash on Dec. 31 at a client site. Fortunately the client wasn't present.

I'll upload the resulting email from 3DR Support. Everything was covered but I agree with your concern. As you'll see in the email, this crash was also caused by a motor pod failure.

On an event-by-event basis we are licensed to apply for "flight over assembly's of people". These seemingly common motor failures give me genuine pause when considering the solo for these types of missions.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: erikgraham
REMOVED. I'm going to start a new thread.

Last edited:
"common"? There are thousands of Solos sold, and I've heard a literally a few that have a problem like that. Do you feel safe driving on the roads? I hear way more recalls for serious car defects that are literally killing people.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
We fly commercially in Canada under a SFOC. Had one of our solos crash on Dec. 31 at a client site. Fortunately the client wasn't present.

I'll upload the resulting email from 3DR Support. Everything was covered but I agree with your concern. As you'll see in the email, this crash was also caused by a motor pod failure.

On an event-by-event basis we are licensed to apply for "flight over assembly's of people". These seemingly common motor failures give me genuine pause when considering the solo for these types of missions.
I, also, have concern about the frequency of motor pod failure. I was concerned from the beginning at how easy the motors failed when the solo flipped over and the rotors hit something. This situation is as bad as the early model white ones flying away, we all know quads won't stay in the air on three motors. These motor failures are getting more frequent, especially the longer the solo has been out. This is why I never fly over people or buildings with any quad.

I will bet you 3DR replaces everything you lost in this unfortunate failure. Now is the time for 3 Dr's customer service this shine and make all of us a little more at ease.
Keep the faith brother!!! I can't wait to see how prompt their response is.

For those of you who have experienced motor failures, do you know if the motor itself failed, or another component in the motor pod?

I'm wondering if replacing the motor would possibly avert problems or would a "problematic" component of the motor pod circuit board still cause a failure?

Thoughts?
@RolandS888 ?

Reactions: RichWest
For those of you who have experienced motor failures, do you know if the motor itself failed, or another component in the motor pod?

I'm wondering if replacing the motor would possibly avert problems or would a "problematic" component of the motor pod circuit board still cause a failure?

Thoughts?
@RolandS888 ?
Yes, the 3DR motor pods have the ESC built into them. If there is a problem with that circuitry, replacing the motor won't do a bit of good.

Reactions: Maddog

Thoughts?
@RolandS888 ?
Short answer - both can contribute.
Long answer, read on.....
Well, now that you ask, this is one of the reasons why I changed my motors to the bought T-motors, I have never had one of those fail in any of my craft, so I like them - but - I do take the time to maintain them as well.

I really didnt like the noise coming from the stock motor bearings. I have had experience with ESC and bearing failures in the air (fixed wing electric UAVs) years ago, thanks to HKing and i will never touch that brand again.
The pod ESCs are fairly standard with SimonK fw with 6 x nFETS that are rated to 18 amps (or 20, cant remember) no heat sink, but the top fets do have air flow across them when the motor is spinning. They are very low resistance and dont really produce any major temperature rise in normal operation.
Given that in flight each pod is only drawing around 4-5 amps they are rated high enough, the FETs are a good enough choice.
Problems start if the Solo flips or the props hit something whilst the motors are still driving. The current will spike and can partially (or fully) burnout a FET in a pod due to overcurrent.
Then you can have problems, if a FET is slightly burnt it may work, or it may not, or it may be a time bomb waiting to fail.

I have had one pod esc fail on my thrust tester when i was doing the prop testing a few months ago. It didnt just stop, it is intermittently losing power and at times 'pulsing', which is indicative of a single FET failing.
In the air this would cause bursts of uncontrollable yaw and diagonal tipping toward the faulty pod. I have not flown this pod, it was bought off eBay for experimentation. I intend to fix it and report the results here for anyone who is interested (its one of the jobs in the queue)
I read about these motor pod failures and I wonder how many of them had previously had a prop strike event, or a bearing failure or seizure, because I think these are the two main reasons that will lead to a pod failure.
I dont want to overstate the problem, and Im not criticizing the manufacturer - they are doing an amazing job at customer service and taking care of customers with these issues.

When a pod fails in flight on a quad, two things happen, yaw control is lost and the craft starts spinning out of control, and the quad will usually diagonally flip as well with the failed pod going down and the opposite corner rising up, usually a spin and flip in combination.
A CW spinning prop will cause yaw to the left and a CCW prop will cause yaw to the right, usually this is all in balance and the flight controller adjusts prop speeds to yaw gently left or right..
If, for example, a CW pod fails, the two CCW props cause an abundance of right yaw and the quad will initially spin to the right, (and then probably start flipping as well).
There are too many videos out there of Solos spinning and crashing, and if you slow down the footage you can usually tell which pod is failing, by the direction of the spin and the corner that tips down on the initial flip.

For me, replacing the motors is a decision I made to try and 'avert problems' as @Maddog puts it (and so far so good) but if my T-motors now made as much noise as my stock motors made originally Id be changing the bearings. I don't know how much warning small bearings give before they fail, because when they are noisy and vibey, they are telling me something is not right inside an they need to go. And as discussed in a another thread, changing the bearings in the stock motors if they become noisey is good enough. The motors are essentially ok, just the bearings are poor. I dont see any real problems with the ESCs, if they aren't given a hard time they are fine.

Short answer - both can contribute.
Long answer, read on.....
Well, now that you ask, this is one of the reasons why I changed my motors to the bought T-motors, I have never had one of those fail in any of my craft, so I like them - but - I do take the time to maintain them as well.

I really didnt like the noise coming from the stock motor bearings. I have had experience with ESC and bearing failures in the air (fixed wing electric UAVs) years ago, thanks to HKing and i will never touch that brand again.
The pod ESCs are fairly standard with SimonK fw with 6 x nFETS that are rated to 18 amps (or 20, cant remember) no heat sink, but the top fets do have air flow across them when the motor is spinning. They are very low resistance and dont really produce any major temperature rise in normal operation.
Given that in flight each pod is only drawing around 4-5 amps they are rated high enough, the FETs are a good enough choice.
Problems start if the Solo flips or the props hit something whilst the motors are still driving. The current will spike and can partially (or fully) burnout a FET in a pod due to overcurrent.
Then you can have problems, if a FET is slightly burnt it may work, or it may not, or it may be a time bomb waiting to fail.

I have had one pod esc fail on my thrust tester when i was doing the prop testing a few months ago. It didnt just stop, it is intermittently losing power and at times 'pulsing', which is indicative of a single FET failing.
In the air this would cause bursts of uncontrollable yaw and diagonal tipping toward the faulty pod. I have not flown this pod, it was bought off eBay for experimentation. I intend to fix it and report the results here for anyone who is interested (its one of the jobs in the queue)
I read about these motor pod failures and I wonder how many of them had previously had a prop strike event, or a bearing failure or seizure, because I think these are the two main reasons that will lead to a pod failure.
I dont want to overstate the problem, and Im not criticizing the manufacturer - they are doing an amazing job at customer service and taking care of customers with these issues.

When a pod fails in flight on a quad, two things happen, yaw control is lost and the craft starts spinning out of control, and the quad will usually diagonally flip as well with the failed pod going down and the opposite corner rising up, usually a spin and flip in combination.
A CW spinning prop will cause yaw to the left and a CCW prop will cause yaw to the right, usually this is all in balance and the flight controller adjusts prop speeds to yaw gently left or right..
If, for example, a CW pod fails, the two CCW props cause an abundance of right yaw and the quad will initially spin to the right, (and then probably start flipping as well).
There are too many videos out there of Solos spinning and crashing, and if you slow down the footage you can usually tell which pod is failing, by the direction of the spin and the corner that tips down on the initial flip.

For me, replacing the motors is a decision I made to try and 'avert problems' as @Maddog puts it (and so far so good) but if my T-motors now made as much noise as my stock motors made originally Id be changing the bearings. I don't know how much warning small bearings give before they fail, because when they are noisy and vibey, they are telling me something is not right inside an they need to go. And as discussed in a another thread, changing the bearings in the stock motors if they become noisey is good enough. The motors are essentially ok, just the bearings are poor. I dont see any real problems with the ESCs, if they aren't given a hard time they are fine.
Thanks Roland, that's a great assessment!
Solo is my first quad (except for Syma X5 & 8) so I don't know what "good" motors sound like. It sounds like a bearing change in the stock motors would be good "preventative maintenance".

How many hours would you say bearings would be due for changing after replacing the stock ones?
You mentioned you take time to maintain your motors- could you tell us what you do?

The motors in the Solo are unbadged T-motors made specifically for the Solo, T-Motor make decent motors (they're the only brand I'd buy). 3DR wouldn't cut corners with motors as it's not in their interest to do so given they're replacing gear broken as a result.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44