Fly: Manual

I think you should do a little more reading so you understand a bit more about how things work. Dont want you to have problems. Flying manual is one thing but once you start letting GPS do some of the work there's a lot to know and most people skip the reading and then hit a tree :)
I've practiced in Manual before, I just haven't taken off in Manual. I've always switched to Manual mode as I'm in flight and while GPS was locked. Before I bought the Solo, I did a lot of reading and research. I'm always diligent in my preparations for anything. In this particular situation, no - I did not know that you had to use the left stick to take off rather than hold Fly. I never thought to just take off with the left stick. But, now I know.

I'm also aware of flying without GPS. I don't intend to fly in Manual mode far distances, I only need manual mode to fly in tight areas to get different and unique shots.

I think you should do a little more reading so you understand a bit more about how things work. Dont want you to have problems. Flying manual is one thing but once you start letting GPS do some of the work there's a lot to know and most people skip the reading and then hit a tree :)
I flew in Manual mode today and crashed. I was flying on a tight bike path with trees surrounding me. I made the mistake of rotating Solo. When I did that, it was drifting a little bit and I got confused of which way I needed to compensate because I had turned Solo around, and I went the wrong way into the trees.

Luckily, I just broke the props - everything else seems to be fine. But, it was my mistake.

It is recommended when flying in manual mode to be in an open area ..or unless you are very experience ...just saying

Fly safe
lol, I'm aware of that. I'm just saying, why not integrate something like that for users in case crashes happen, which are common no matter how experienced you are. You spend close to $2k on a product, it should be as fool proof as possible - especially if you market it as something beginners can use with no flight experience at all. The motors aren't even closed, they're open - so any little debree can get inside those motors and do damage. I'm just saying, if the thing crashes and lands upside down on the motors, and they're still spinning - they grab grass and props break, etc. Why not have a safety detection so the Solo just shuts the motors off immediately when it detects it's flipped over, crashed, etc. Yes, I've seen videos of Solo hitting wires and flipping over, it saves itself, and continues flying. But, I'm sure they could write software that detects when it's actually crashing.

I'm just brainstorming and throwing out the idea for argument sake. People obviously have to be smart about what they're doing, and know what they're doing. But, the safer and more crash friendly you can make the drone I think would put beginners minds and even experienced flyers minds more at ease.

I actually see Manual mode better used for enclosed areas, and tight areas, because it doesn't require GPS lock and you have more control with the drone in that sense. Yes, it drifts and it's harder to control in that sense, but in terms of trying to get more unique shots in tight quarters - Manual is basically the only way to go. What is actually the use of flying Manual in open area? It's much more stable with GPS lock in regular Fly mode, so why would you even want to use Manual in open areas?

Reactions: Del
lol, I'm aware of that. I'm just saying, why not integrate something like that for users in case crashes happen, which are common no matter how experienced you are. You spend close to $2k on a product, it should be as fool proof as possible - especially if you market it as something beginners can use with no flight experience at all. The motors aren't even closed, they're open - so any little debree can get inside those motors and do damage. I'm just saying, if the thing crashes and lands upside down on the motors, and they're still spinning - they grab grass and props break, etc. Why not have a safety detection so the Solo just shuts the motors off immediately when it detects it's flipped over, crashed, etc. Yes, I've seen videos of Solo hitting wires and flipping over, it saves itself, and continues flying. But, I'm sure they could write software that detects when it's actually crashing.

I'm just brainstorming and throwing out the idea for argument sake. People obviously have to be smart about what they're doing, and know what they're doing. But, the safer and more crash friendly you can make the drone I think would put beginners minds and even experienced flyers minds more at ease.

I actually see Manual mode better used for enclosed areas, and tight areas, because it doesn't require GPS lock and you have more control with the drone in that sense. Yes, it drifts and it's harder to control in that sense, but in terms of trying to get more unique shots in tight quarters - Manual is basically the only way to go. What is actually the use of flying Manual in open area? It's much more stable with GPS lock in regular Fly mode, so why would you even want to use Manual in open areas?
I enjoy flying manual and stabilize just about anytime I am not flying a smart shot. Mainly because I enjoy being the pilot and in control. But that's just me. I realize many newer pilots prefer to rely on GPS more, unfortunately they are also more apt to break something particularly when flying below 10' and around any obstacles. To each their own, but the more you rely on technology the more disappointed you will be when it fails. But I am also still on my original props from June.

As far as the statement above "What is actually the use of flying Manual in open area? It's much more stable with GPS lock in regular Fly mode.." That too is relative to the skills of the pilot. I can hold a hover tighter than GPS in most situations. Learn to fly the non GPS modes more often and I think you may enjoy it.

Fly Safe and Have Fun..
Jubal

Reactions: erikgraham and Del

Practice in open areas. First master the box, then a figure 8, keeping the nose pointed in the same direction the whole time. Then practice a box keeping the nose pointed to the center. Then practice a continuous circle orbit nose in. Then a figure 8, nose in for both loops. That's my advice anyway. That's the basic "curriculum" we all followed before this newfangled GPS stuff came about. :)

When you can do all that, then your ready to fly in tight quarters under tree canopy along bike paths, etc. You'll just react instinctively. It takes most people months or even years, so be patient. It's likely 3DR will release the optical flow addon soon anyway, so you might never need to learn manual. You'll be able to use that when you can't get GPS (as long as you stay fairly close to the ground).

Anyway, I for one like how your trying to get cool interesting shots and pushing your limits (and the Solo's). It is a tough little quad for sure, but it's not perfect.

(PS. The motors have to be open for airflow. Dispates the heat. No way around it unfortunately)

Can you take off in manual without getting a GPS lock, then switch to GPS mid-flight? If so, wouldn't that establish "home" at a position unknown to you?

Can you take off in manual without getting a GPS lock, then switch to GPS mid-flight? If so, wouldn't that establish "home" at a position unknown to you?
YES!

I do it often. Actually I used to do it every time - because I didn't trust GPS take offs. Lately I've been using GPS, but there are times when i need to take off in manual first. For example, I recently took off from beneath a cliff where I couldn't get GPS.

Yes of course you can. As long as you flew it straight up and in the ballpark of where you want your home position to be then it would be pretty close. You wouldn't however want to take off in manual mode and fly down the block and then hit return home. Best practice would be to get it high enough above your position and stay there while you confirm that GPS lock has occurred and then you're pretty much ready to go. There's a caveat to this however, let's say that the position you are planning on launching from always has bad GPS reception at ground level - you wouldn't necessarily want to perform a full return to home operation which allows solo to land itself because once it gets closer to the ground and in an area with poor GPS reception you could run into problems with solo starting to drift or going nuts. In any case you would probably want to manually land if you are forced to launch solo in order to obtain a GPS lock. Also make sure your return home height is set appropriately

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Practice in open areas. First master the box, then a figure 8, keeping the nose pointed in the same direction the whole time. Then practice a box keeping the nose pointed to the center. Then practice a continuous circle orbit nose in. Then a figure 8, nose in for both loops. That's my advice anyway. That's the basic "curriculum" we all followed before this newfangled GPS stuff came about. :)

When you can do all that, then your ready to fly in tight quarters under tree canopy along bike paths, etc. You'll just react instinctively. It takes most people months or even years, so be patient. It's likely 3DR will release the optical flow addon soon anyway, so you might never need to learn manual. You'll be able to use that when you can't get GPS (as long as you stay fairly close to the ground).

Anyway, I for one like how your trying to get cool interesting shots and pushing your limits (and the Solo's). It is a tough little quad for sure, but it's not perfect.

(PS. The motors have to be open for airflow. Dispates the heat. No way around it unfortunately)
Hey Erik, I wonder if this guy could handle a Solo in Manual mode?;) Incredible pilot in close quarters..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's what it looked like when I tried to fly a heli, but I wasn't trying. I didn't stay in the air long.

Reactions: Jubalr
Hey Erik, I wonder if this guy could handle a Solo in Manual mode?;) Incredible pilot in close quarters..

I can fully appreciate the talent needed to fly like that... without understanding the attraction to flying like that. Holy mother of god watching that makes my brain short circuit! :confused:

The motors aren't even closed, they're open - so any little debree can get inside those motors and do damage.

The motors are open so they can be cooled, there's a lot of electricity pumping through those wires inside. Motors of the size the Solo uses typically pull around 7-8 amps continuous for "normal" flying and up to 10-15 max. Having the motors closed would require some other way of cooling - heat sinks, more bulk, more weight, etc. These things are really on the bleeding edge when it comes to acceptable performance and flight duration. It doesn't take much extra weight before your flight times start dropping considerably.

My God that looked surreal. Almost fake. I wonder what his controller inputs look like. Guess I'll search the tube for a split screen showing something crazy like that and what the pilot is actually doing on his controller…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key to manual flight is to be in Fly Manual before you try to start the motors.

You can then use the Fly button to start the motors as normal, OR hold your throttle stick full down and full to the right to start the motors (hold the stick here until they start).

To take off, you can press and hold Fly, OR just raise your throttle stick up, and it will take off. Since you are in manual flight mode, the best way is to learn to just raise your throttle stick to get it in the air. Remember you need to guide it with the right stick also, as there is no GPS assist and it may drift or move around.

But be careful if you press Fly, you may place the Solo in Fly (GPS) mode, so watch what you are doing. If you get into Fly mode by accident, press your programmed Manual Fly button (A or B) again.

To land, you can press and hold the Fly button, but its best to just land the craft manually (learn to land manually with the throttle stick, remember to guide the craft with your right stick also).

To kill the motors once landed, it may detect the landing and automatically kill the motors for you, or hold the throttle full down and full to the left until the motors shut off. Or you can press A+B+PAUSE and hold until the motors stop.

Learn manual mode, it's not that hard. Just remember to constantly fly the Solo, don't expect it to hold position (although it will attempt to hold altitude using the barometer).

I flew in Manual mode today and crashed. I was flying on a tight bike path with trees surrounding me. I made the mistake of rotating Solo. When I did that, it was drifting a little bit and I got confused of which way I needed to compensate because I had turned Solo around, and I went the wrong way into the trees.

Luckily, I just broke the props - everything else seems to be fine. But, it was my mistake.

Get in the Habit of ALWAYS keeping the tail of the Solo pointed at you (until you have enough skills to be able to fly in any orientation). The GoPro is the front, so always keep this pointing away from you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44