Fly: Manual

Reaction score
Website
www.jasonyapp.com
Hey guys,

So, yesterday I tried filming some stuff on a bike path. It looked very similar to the picture below. Well, I tried flying in Manual mode because I thought that Manual mode you could fly without GPS. Wrong, I could not get Solo to fly. I could start my motors - but I could not get it to fly - it wouldn't let me without GPS. I was surrounded by trees, yes - but I was under an open canopy, so I did have some clear access. All I wanted to do was get some footage going down the bike path while leaves were falling, but for some reason I couldn't fly in Manual mode because I needed GPS and I assume because of all the trees Solo wouldn't let me fly.

It's pretty disappointing that you can't fly Solo manually without GPS or have complete control of the drone. It prohibits you to fly in tight quarters such as this, in difficult areas, trying to capture unique shots. That makes this drone pretty limited if you ask me. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day, with the leaves falling and blowing around. It was a perfect opportunity to fly down this bike path and capture some good stuff. Instead, I wasted an hour trying to get the thing to fly, which it never did.

long-prairie-bike-trail-09.jpg

Fly-Manual bypasses GPS, to fly in manual. Go to Solo settings and map A or B to Fly-Manual while hooked up to Solo.
By doing this you can launch without GPS lock to fly your route in seconds.

Flying through the trees is risky, but that's your call.

I've done many times with no issue.

Reactions: RENATO TOME
Fly-Manual bypasses GPS, to fly in manual. Go to Solo settings and map A or B to Fly-Manual while hooked up to Solo.
By doing this you can launch without GPS lock to fly your route in seconds.

Flying through the trees is risky, but that's your call.

I've done many times with no issue.
Thanks for the reply. I did, I have Fly: Manual set to B. But, I couldn't fly - it wouldn't let me fly. I could start motors, but it would not let me take off and fly. It would search for GPS and would not allow me to take off...

OK great. Can you fly with GPS, hit B and be in Fly: Manual while airborne? If no, something is not correct in setup.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, it's normally a quick fix.
In previous flights, I've been able to switch to manual while airborne, yes. In this particular situation though, I was trying to take off in manual.

You've got me stumped, I only takeoff and land in fly manual, I always takeoff before I get GPS lock. Fly through trees and the like with little problems...

No worries, someone will have a fix here in the forum.

You've got me stumped, I only takeoff and land in fly manual, I always takeoff before I get GPS lock. Fly through trees and the like with little problems...

No worries, someone will have a fix here in the forum.
Indeed, I could not take off in Fly: Manual. It would not let me. It was trying to find GPS and preventing me.

Indeed, I could not take off in Fly: Manual. It would not let me. It was trying to find GPS and preventing me.
While it is on the ground searching for GPS, put it in manual mode. Then you can either hold fly to start the motors or hold the left stick all the way down and to the right. After the motors start, raise the left stick to over center to take off.

Reactions: YAPP
While it is on the ground searching for GPS, put it in manual mode. Then you can either hold fly to start the motors or hold the left stick all the way down and to the right. After the motors start, raise the left stick to over center to take off.
Excellent. I will try that next time, thank you!!

Maybe I wasn't able to fly manual because I was using the Solo app on my phone??? Should I just fly the drone and not use my phone app to connect?? Is that a stupid question, lol? Do you need to use the Solo app on your phone?

It will fly manual with or without the app. You can fly it like a traditional RC with no tablet or phone and it's how we did it for years.

Reactions: erikgraham
It will fly manual with or without the app. You can fly it like a traditional RC with no tablet or phone and it's how we did it for years.
Ok, well I wasn't sure if the app was interfering with Solo trying to make sure I was connected to GPS or something. I will try taking off manually doing the stick trick. But, again, for some reason it seemed like Solo would not let me take off and fly because it was searching for GPS. I was being prevented from taking off. I couldn't do it by holding Fly. So, I'll try the stick trick

Ok, well I wasn't sure if the app was interfering with Solo trying to make sure I was connected to GPS or something. I will try taking off manually doing the stick trick. But, again, for some reason it seemed like Solo would not let me take off and fly because it was searching for GPS. I was being prevented from taking off. I couldn't do it by holding Fly. So, I'll try the stick trick
I think the key for you might be *holding* down fly to start the motors... not clicking the fly button which switches it back to GPS. I'd have to double check to confirm, but like Jubalr I often take off and fly in Manual. Never had a problem.

I think the key for you might be *holding* down fly to start the motors... not clicking the fly button which switches it back to GPS. I'd have to double check to confirm, but like Jubalr I often take off and fly in Manual. Never had a problem.
I was holding down the Fly button, lol. Trust me, it wouldn't take off. I could start the motors, but it wouldn't take off trying to hold Fly. It would vibrate a few times after I held it indicating it wouldn't take off. It would do nothing than I was told Solo was searching for GPS making me assume the fucker wouldn't take off without GPS. I don't know, I'll try a few of the suggestions from above tomorrow.

I was holding down the Fly button, lol. Trust me, it wouldn't take off. I could start the motors, but it wouldn't take off trying to hold Fly. It would vibrate a few times after I held it indicating it wouldn't take off. It would do nothing than I was told Solo was searching for GPS making me assume the fucker wouldn't take off without GPS. I don't know, I'll try a few of the suggestions from above tomorrow.
I dont think solo can auto take off in manual, once the motors are running push up on the left stick...works every time for me

Reactions: jmeyer7526 and YAPP
I dont think solo can auto take off in manual, once the motors are running push up on the left stick...works every time for me
I did not do that, so that's certainly probably why I didn't take off. I was trying to take off holding Fly. Thank you!

I did not do that, so that's certainly probably why I didn't take off. I was trying to take off holding Fly. Thank you!

I'm certain that's your issue. I did the same thing the first time I put it into Manual because I couldn't bear waiting for the GPS. Once the Solo is armed, just raise the left stick and up she goes! I think I spent 5 minutes holding the Fly button waiting for something to happen all the while feeling bummed because I thought there was something wrong with my Solo!

I'm certain that's your issue. I did the same thing the first time I put it into Manual because I couldn't bear waiting for the GPS. Once the Solo is armed, just raise the left stick and up she goes! I think I spent 5 minutes holding the Fly button waiting for something to happen all the while feeling bummed because I thought there was something wrong with my Solo!
Ah. Good point. I only hold the FLY button down to arm the motors. Whether I'm flying GPS or Manual, I always throttle up the left stick to take off.

I think you should do a little more reading so you understand a bit more about how things work. Dont want you to have problems. Flying manual is one thing but once you start letting GPS do some of the work there's a lot to know and most people skip the reading and then hit a tree :)

Reactions: mcneely19

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44